Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2014 Newbie My Story...My Beginnings

HI

I joined forum today. In November 2012 I started my journey...my insurance required 9 months with a medical doctor for weight loss efforts. I completed it and all other test and clearances by August 2013. I didn't hear anything for about 2 months. I tried to contact the clinic and all they kept telling me was the person over the department had to review my file and send it to insurance. Called my insurance and they said it only take maybe a week for approval BUT no one sent then anything.

Frustrated, it seemed when I called the clinic to get some direction people avoided my calls and began not being as friendly as they had been before. Now, I wasn't calling a lot and I even told the redeptionist I understand workers are busy and things take time I just wanted to know a time limit..1mth...3...6..before my paper work is submitted to insurance? Everyone who has been through the process knows for insurance it is time sensitive because after a certain amt of time I would have to start my 9mths all over again.

Then one day the receptionist said well you need to speak with the coordinator she has some questions...ok 2 mth later and you are just telling me this? At this time I had postponed starting a new position because I couldn't miss any days during my 6 week training. Left a message for coordinator to contact me..stil nothing I had to start my training. In my 3rd week of training she finally called me at 8am in the morning and she wasn't friendly at all. I was told that since I had gained weight during the 9 mths that they need me to do another psych eval which I was cleared before. They all knew I was seeing one of their doctors for weight loss using phentermine which I lost 22lbs in 3 mths 20 in the first 2 mths. I had gained 10 of those back during the last 7mths being off the meds and by law you can't be on for more than 3mths at a time.

This has been my weight loss struggle for over 20 yrs I would do well on some meds until the effect wore off and although still trying weight over the years would creep back on plus some. We all know that story. I was very upset that it took them 3 mths to get in touch with me to tell me they wanted another psych eval and my insurance company was stunned as well they even said "It is proven that usually people who take meds for weight loss regain some if not all and more weight back after the dosage has stopped".

I was not happy...I am ok with the waiting process as long as things are moving forward but it was the disregard I felt that made me uncomfortable. So I thought if it is this hard to get and answer and the feeling I was bothering those who are suppose to help...how will my after care be? How will the surgery go? One lady in one of my nutrition classes said her April 2013 surgery was postponed due to sergeon not being available and it was July and she was still waiting for a new date.

So I called another hospital OSU Medical Center. They scheduled me for intake. I met the coordinator first who was very nice and gave me a lot of information on what she will be doing for me during the process (she will handle paper work for insurance) and same day met the nurse who went over all my options because they do all 3 surgeries at OSU (I stuck with lapband) and after her met with the nutritionist. They received my paper work from the other clinic and if all goes well all I would need to do is 4 weeks of nutrition with OSU (once per week) and meeting with the surgeon because everything else hopefully is done. They did their own lab work on me but will accept all my other clearances.

I felt comfortable and at home at OSU. Crossing fingers that I can get approved and maybe surgery before the summer. I will finishing up my degree in April this year as well! woot woot lol

Looking forward to the support this forum offers & future banding friendships.

~Blessings

Welcome and enjoy the journey! You'll find a group of people who are overwhelmingly supportive and can make you laugh on your worst day. If you have questions...you'll get better answers here than you will from your doctor beause it's coming from so many different perspectives and types of people who have gone through where you are in your journey.

This was the best decision I've made in decades and I'm never looking back. People are reluctant to say this, but I'm not: The band IS a miracle device! Nothing else would have stopped the mean, brown eating machine I was. Thank God for my "Miss Pearlie" the sweetest, kindest lapband in the world.

sounds like you did the right thing and went to someone else cause if they were that careless with just getting the approval I would also be afraid of the after care...We are all here and and keep us posted!!!