Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so here is my story. I will be 27 years old at the end of the month. I have an amazing husband and two beautiful children (6 year old daughter and 4 year old son) I am 5'8 and have been heavy for as long as I could remember. In high school I was already 200+ lbs, I had pregnancy complications and severe postpartum depression and went to about 300 lbs... Currently at 307lbs. I have tried every diet and fad out there, I do lose weight ( at most was 30lbs) but then no matter what I do I plateau and shortly after gain it all back. I now have insurance through my work that may open more doors for me, I want to try to approach my PCP about wls. I have been in denial about my poor health for too long and want to be able to keep up with my children. Can anyone share with me their experiences and how they approached the subject. Before now I have only been to my obgyn on a regular basis( who has brought up wls to me) I have an appointment with my new PCP on Feb 4th and I don't know if I should just dive right into the topic or if there are other subjects I should breach first to get the ball rolling. I know that this is a lengthy process but you got to start somewhere at some point if you want to change your life. Thank you!

I never even spoke to my pcp about because, honestly, I didn't want to be discouraged. I researched it for over 2years and had several appointments with my surgeon. About a week after surgery I called my pcp and said... Btw.. I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy last week and I'll send you copies of all my labs.

Edited by Seela

I started by finding a surgeon and attending one of their free mandatory seminars on the procedures they offer. This got me to think if I really wanted to go down this path. My surgeons officer did most/all of the footwork. Per your insurance do you have to see your primary first or even have an official referral of some sort.

I'm not positive on my insurance requirements about having to see my PCP first, I have been researching wls for quite awhile and that's the easy part to find, it's all the gray area in between that I don't know about. :(

Do the wls surgeons offer the seminar discussing the surgical offerings, techniques, and question sessions? Is start with the seminar. That's what I did.

It depends on your insurance. When I moved to HMO I had to get a new PCP and made sure the IPA had a program. I made sure I had all this going during my first visit.

My hospital had a mandatory information session. It is only held every other month (rural area) and I missed the one in June so had to wait for August. By then I had done a lot of research, including extensive reading of posts on this forum where I learned so much. I was banded in November and I'm very happy with my decision. I did not meet with my PCP either, although I love her. I think part of me wants to waltz into her office with a significantly slimmer figure and have her burst into tears of joy. She knows what a difficult time I've had with weight and associated issues over the years.

Congratulations on deciding on a healthy future for yourself -- choosing that is very powerful. I think most if not all of us here have felt so beaten down by a series of failed diets and declining health. What a great thing it is to turn all that around!

I'd jump right in and tell your PCP up front that you're considering the surgery and ask if he/she has any other patients that have had the surgery. It's hard for me to imagine any doctor that is knowledgeable about bariatric surgery discouraging anyone unless there are medical problems that would increase the risk to an unacceptable level. Diet and exercise as a solution for folks with a BMI of 30 or greater is a myth. The failure rate is well over 95% and some doctors believe it is closer to 100%. Doctors have known for years that it doesn't work but they simply didn't have any options to offer. Now they do. And you're gonna love the new you!

I'd do as others suggested. If it's necessary to see your primary I'd be upfront and honest. If you don't need to see your primary, then go with the surgeon's process. It's not necessary for me to see my primary until preop time.

I went to my pcp first and asked him if he had any other patients that had rny. I had done my research and found my own very qualified surgeon. My pcp sent in the referral and now 1 year later I am 2 weeks before my surgery. I have a very good relationship with my pcp and he has seen and heard all my struggles with weight loss so who better to have in my corner then him!

Btw... funny, I just received a letter from my pcp that he will no longer be my pcp. Fine with me... I've been thinking about switching Dr anyway. I'd rather go that route than have him brow beat me and make me feel like crap.

I would love to turn my life around, for my health and my happiness. But my insurance only pays 50%. We work very hard to make a living and i am very proud to say my children do not want for much, but extra money is hard to come by especially by the thousands, I know that a lot of people would love to have that much covered, and I am thankful but I still don't think I can afford it and that has me feeling very sad today.

Btw... funny, I just received a letter from my pcp that he will no longer be my pcp. Fine with me... I've been thinking about switching Dr anyway. I'd rather go that route than have him brow beat me and make me feel like crap.

Possibly another classic example of the obesity stigma. Yes - it absolutely exists in the medical profession too. Sounds to me like he did you a favor!

Like others have mentioned, just go in there and tell your pcp that it is something you are interested in and that you would like them to refer you to a surgeon to explore your options.

Remember, doctors work for us. If you want a referral to a surgeon because you feel that it is the best thing for your health, then a referral you should get. If your doctor is like my old pcp and against wls surgery, change doctors. I did and it was as simple as going in and telling my new pcp that I wanted a referral. We talked a while about my weight and my reasoning for wanting surgery. He agreed that it was the right decision and gladly signed off on a referral. It was as easy as that and should be the same for you(:

But if you do end up needing to find a pcp to refer you, call the surgeons office and ask them if they have any recommendations of pcps who have referred patients to them. They usually have a list and can easily find a doctor in your area who supports wls. This is what I did to find my new pcp and he's great.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!