Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had sleep apnea for a number of years. In my case there wasn't much "feeling" to it other than you never really feel like you got a good nights rest. Using the CPAP was a huge improvement. But RnY completely resolved the sleep apnea! Never felt better and can't say I miss the CPAP!

I had severe sleep apnea prior to WLS. I couldn't lay down without feeling I couldn't get my breath even napping. Also, I would wake my OWN self up by gasping or catching my breath. Also, as others said, felt hung over in the mor I g because of lack of sound sleep. I CRAVED my Cpap after getting it. It was like I didn't even know how much I actually could t breath and how many times a night I stopped breathing! But no longer!! Sleep apnea cured. :)

I had sleep apnea as well. I haven't had surgery yet but have lost 31lbs and no longer have to use the Cpap machine. I have 5 relatives who also had sleep apnea and had WLS and no longer have it! I think any weight loss helps.

Edited by kpatnode90

I have sleep apnea. I am 6 months out from surgery and am at my surgeons goal weight. I was just retested for apnea and I am one of those that still have it. I actually just picked up my new machine. I slept with out the mask one night and did not snore so I thought it may be gone but my test showed I still have it pretty bad.

I have sleep apnea. I am 6 months out from surgery and am at my surgeons goal weight. I was just retested for apnea and I am one of those that still have it. I actually just picked up my new machine. I slept with out the mask one night and did not snore so I thought it may be gone but my test showed I still have it pretty bad.

I believe I am cured and don't feel tired when I wake up ( except right now I am having trouble sleeping at all!). At 3 1/2 years out, I went to Dr for another issue and said something about not needing Cpap etc and he said, "Are you sure you don't have it?" Now, I'm thinking I need to consider doing another sleep study ?? Haven't used machine in 3 years. What are y'all's thoughts?

I believe I am cured and don't feel tired when I wake up ( except right now I am having trouble sleeping at all!). At 3 1/2 years out, I went to Dr for another issue and said something about not needing Cpap etc and he said, "Are you sure you don't have it?" Now, I'm thinking I need to consider doing another sleep study ?? Haven't used machine in 3 years. What are y'all's thoughts?

It definitely would be worth getting retested!!

It definitely would be worth getting retested!!

yeah I would get retested just to be safe. Hopefully it is gone for you but it can be very hard on your body and you wouldn't even know it.

Such a love/hate with my CPAP. I think I had apnea prior to being so heavy but it could have been another disorder -- I sure look forward to losing enough to consider not needing it anymore. But for now, I am so grateful for sleep!

I've tried wearing mine every night for almost a month and get no sleep. I'm super aware of it there. I feel so claustrophobic. The longest I've been able to wear it is 2 hours and it was not good rest at all.

I've tried wearing mine every night for almost a month and get no sleep. I'm super aware of it there. I feel so claustrophobic. The longest I've been able to wear it is 2 hours and it was not good rest at all.

The respiratory therapist or sleep center staff need to help you find the right mask, the right fit -- sometimes you can change up head gear, etc. I just have nose pillows which are much less intrusive. Keep at it until you get it right -- it's not one size fits all! Sleep is so important.......

The respiratory therapist or sleep center staff need to help you find the right mask, the right fit -- sometimes you can change up head gear, etc. I just have nose pillows which are much less intrusive. Keep at it until you get it right -- it's not one size fits all! Sleep is so important.......

I have a deviated septum so I breathe out my mouth when I sleep, hence a face mask. I've always slept on my sides Bc of spinal stenosis and I just can't sleep on my back. Way too painful. The mask is awful. I feel like I'm suffocating with something covering my face. I keep trying but it gets no better.

Have you tried the canula that fits under and in nose? I wore regularask and had no issues fe day one but my husband feels very claustrophobic too

Have you tried the canula that fits under and in nose? I wore regularask and had no issues fe day one but my husband feels very claustrophobic too

Haven't tried a cannula. I'll call and see if it will be something I can try. Thanks :)

I was Dx with obstructive sleep apnea due to narrow throat. I had a Bipap machine for three months and hated it. I didn't feel as if I was sleeping better. I returned it. I do snore and of course snore worse when I'm heavy. But just 20 pounds lights and I snore less.

The ENT Dr did say there is a surgery to remove all the excess flesh but I think I'll pass.