Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to group, 58 and getting cold feet

I new I needed help. I had lost 62but put back on 40. I went to a seminar and made the decision to have surgery but not sure what type. My doc recommended the sleeve of by pass. I decided on the sleeve and have been actively doing all the preop tests and consults. I started reading stuff on line and now I am scared and don't know what to do. I could not sleep last night. I'm feeling to old to have it done but also if I don't, I won't have the energy to enjoy my grandchildren and I will get diabetes. I was dx with HBP 2 years ago. I know I am suppose to make the decision myself. I on't mind dieting and exercising just don't want to live the rest of my life without some of my favorite meals and occasional drinks. I read about all these symptoms that people have. do you ever feel normal again?

I am 62 years old and just got sleeved on 12/23/2013. My co-morbities were just getting worse the longer I put off doing something. I have already had one stroke because of my blood pressure. This past February I had some spinal reconstruction. The surgeon said he would not do anymore until I got some of this weight off my frame. 58 is not too old. If you need it - do it. It is not too late to get healthy.

I am 67, sleeved Nov. 18. I am so excited about my new life, getting back on our boat and going all over North Florida. I am excited about kayaking with my daughter on the Gulf Coast. I am thankful I am off Metformin for diabetes, and 2 of my 3 high blood pressure pills. I never looked back once I decided to have the sleeve. I am thankful I have a quality of life again and won't sit fat and old in a recliner because I cannot walk like this past year. I am thankful my feet do not make me cry with the pain of neuropathy anymore. I am most thankful my husband's (sleeved 12/2) average blood sugar is 110 instead of 40 and 400 daily.

Greatest gift we ever gave ourselves. Good luck with your decision.

I'm 60, and was sleeved 11/13. Best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm almost totally off my diabetes meds, and will be off my BP med soon. The only thing I cannot have now -- carbonated beverages, and I do miss my diet root beer sometimes... but that's a small thing to give up for the health advantages.

As for a drink once in a while - I had vodka and unsweetened pineapple juice at 5 weeks post op, and had no problems. I could drink any time I want, but I choose to avoid liquor for now because I think it would lower my strength of resolve about staying away from sweets most of the time at least until I reach my goal weight.

You ask if one ever feels normal again. I feel mostly normal - just can't eat very much at one time.

Best wishes!

I'm 58 years old too. I had surgery on 12/4/13. I had no complications post-op and love my sleeve. Lost 20 lbs my first month.

Looking forward to many years playing with my grandkids too.

I'm 57 and am struggling to get my insurance to cover me. If it doesn't, I will go to Mexico and have it done. This past year has been rough on my body, especially my knees, and if I don't get this weight off, I can see my health going downhill rapidly. I'm not willing to accept that at age 57.

I feel more "normal" than ever. I feel like I am in a happy place in life now, I feel hope. I feel excitement for our future. I feel I won't end up like two dear friends who settled for their sofa, television, sweets and food, who ended up in a nursing home together, until they died, unable to walk, getting bigger and bigger and paying the staff to bring them candy and sweets. I refuse to settle for this. Rest in peace, they were dear to me.

You r not too old to start living a healthily life.. I was so scared like u. I vacillated back and forth..whether it is for me or not, After one month post op......I am not in the food the way I was before the surgery. I have to remind myself to eat for nutritional reason, not to just stuff my face like I did before., food is not on my mind all the time, I am not hungry. So if this appeals to u..go for it. I had no complications. However, u do have to be patient as u go through the eating staging. It takes time for stomach to.heal.

I was 58 when I had my surgery done 2 years ago. The best thing I ever did! It's not too late! I kept a weekly blog of my first year if you would like to see it to give you an idea of what your life might look like. (Link below) I think you will find the majority of people here would say their only regret is that they did not do this sooner!!

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

I am 56 and had sleeve done last April .... I am down 70 lbs and loving life again.... is it work ... yes.. is it worth it... yes... I did it so I will be around a while for my grand kids... I am feeling more spry every day... and eating as returned to normal except I eat way less to get full... and you will feel full and not hungry all the time... I still get hungry when its time to eat but you feel satisfied quickly... I am hoping to lose more and reach goal by my one year check up... but so far I am loving my sleeve :) I say go for it... my hubby is older than me by 9 years... so 65... he was type 2 diabetic and on insulin plus so many more drugs... he has not taken insulin since the day of the operation.... he has lost 100 lbs... since August... and he is off the oxygen that he was on 24/7... OMG... this is a Miracle operation ... I must say... I am praying he continues on this journey with his sleeve and does well... :)

but all your doubts are normal... we all go thru this... back & forth kinda should I ... maybe I'm not that bad.... I look at pictures of us now when we were at our heaviest and wonder why I hesitated or thought that way... it has given us our lives back ... :)

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice. I felt much better and thought I was on track till I went to the doc. today. I had my final cardiology consult. The doc said he was not trying to change my mind but thought I could do one of their programs and do very well. So now I'm back with the cold feet. Going out to dinner with my husband and family has been a big part of my life so reading that people miss that makes me question as well. I know this is normal to feel this way but I am very anxious.

Prior to my surgery my knees had nearly given out on me. I was no longer able to tolerate the burden of a lifetime of extra weight. I could not walk for long without pain. My sleep was poor. My enjoyment for life was seriously reduced. I was not able to participate in activities with my child nor my husband as I wanted. Now six months post-sleeve & 60 pounds down - I feel like a new person. It's me but me from decades ago. I feel young at heart, enthusiastic about my future and keen to be active and try new things. I still have nearly 100 pounds to lose but I have never been sorry about my sleeve. Even as I watch my shrinking body turn into draping sacks if loose skin.!

Don't fret your sleeve choice. I think you will be delighted by the improvement to your life

You can still go out to dinner with your husband! We go out all the time, plus we have many dinner parties here! I eat what everyone else does, have a little wine, a little desert. At this point, 2 years out, no one even notices that my portions are smaller...they just think of me as a small person who eats less than everyone else. I socialize a lot more because I'm not so focused on what I'm eating. Eating in fact is much more pleasurable and when i see the large portions (especially when I go back to the US) I have to say it bothers me.

You need to do what's right for you, but if going out to dinner and eating alot of food is more important than your health and self confidence and just over all feeling good about yourself, then you really need to explore that. It's normal to be scared...but just look at all the success stories on here. I think there are very very few people who have regrets. Your life is not over, it's just beginning!

Queen, I read your whole blog yesterday and really enjoyed it. I am 59 and hope I will do as well as you have.