Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Joffe and the TLBC

Just thought I'd post this for any of you TLBC-ers who may be Joffe patients:

Apparently he has left the TLBC and won't be performing lapbanding anymore. (before anyone gets worried, this doesn't affect your aftercare in any way, other than you just not being able to see HIM anymore!) I read this on the canadianlapbanders board, and thought I'd share for those of you who don't go there. (I quickly browse the latest messages every few weeks, so I'm lucky I caught that post)

It's too bad, from the sounds of it, he was great at what he did, and well liked. I'm sure he'll be missed around there, and by you guys. :cry

Yes, I had been aware of that.

I don't know the details yet (but he was an "older" gentleman so maybe he is retiring?). No probs...Dr. Yau is still there and he was one of the first docs (along with Dr. J) who did lapband surgery in Canada.

Actually, I prefer Dr. Y......a bit of a nice bedside manner!

No worries here.

:mad:

I agree with Yoda. Dr Yau performed my surgery and did a fantastic job. I love the girls at the clinic and they make the experiences positive.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

He hasn't released his "official" statement yet. My guess is he wanted to move on to do something else (he was the first surgeon doing lapbands - along with Dr Yau - in Canada..... and so he has been doing this for a very long time.) Or ...maybe he is retiring.

I understand they are in the process of acquiring another associate but like the rest, Dr. Yau is very good at what he does. I had a telephone consult with Dr. Joffe in January and he was very short with me. I suspect he was on his way out then. Someone that knows him said his calender was overloaded as he had the clinic and also did other specialized surgeries. Could it have been burn out who knows, all I know is the tremendous staff remain. Their followup care is second to none. Doddie

i was banded by dr. joffe, and have never even seen dr. yau, but i hear great things about him.

i only met dr. joffe for a few minutes, my consultation was very quick...and the day of surgery he came to see me again only for a couple minutes.

since then, i have been dealing with the other staff and hey are great. i was kind of sad to hear this news but at the same time i am not nervous about the quality of the rest of my post op care.

Am I the only person who thinks that something doesn't compute?

You don't pioneer a surgery in a country, invest your own money, and time into building a for profit clinic with the marketing marterials so closely associated with you and then decide to walk away just when the market is exploding.

If he was getting tired or was burning out he would lower the number of procedures he did per week or take a few months off. Take on more of a figurehead role, but work a lot less hours. Look at the advertising it's primarily him. You just walk away quietly.

His parking spot would not be taken off away instantly if he was leaving on such good terms.

I highly doubt his official statement will explain anything other raising more questions.

Hmmmmm,

No but what I find doesn't compute is someone coming on here, only having 3 posts under their "belt" with them all about suspicions about Dr. Joffe. THAT I find odd.

As for me....I'm not going to speculate. This isn't a gossip column and I'm not going to stir up any suspicions or plant incorrect truths in people's minds.

If you want to believe in conspiracy theories...go to it.

As far as I'm concerned, REGARDLESS of what happens (& really I don't give a crap...it's not MY business) the clinic is not affected, nor is it's integrity.

So what's your beef?

When I read lappy’s email I did not think she was gossiping. I think that some people genuinely want to know what the circumstances are that he left under. I think if people knew why, there would be less speculation. And yes, I have to agree with lappy, not knowing and some of the other circumstances would make me wonder. Just because you don’t have a lot of posts under your belt does not mean your questions are any less valid. JMO.

hello,

Hubby and I were just down there on Tuesday.

To clear things up, Dr. Joffee has been having terrible back problems. He's going in for back surgery and then most likely he's retiring.... I heard this from Nancy the fill nurse.

Have a nice weekend,

Doriana

Hmmmmm,

No but what I find doesn't compute is someone coming on here, only having 3 posts under their "belt" with them all about suspicions about Dr. Joffe. THAT I find odd.

So what's your beef?

Beef is simple, was banded extermely recentlly, still on liquids, still in pain.

Reading posts about how common foods are impossible even if you "chew chew chew" and how Diet Coke is something I can never have again is certainly doing nothing to appease my second thoughts. I did the operation so I could feel "normal" and know I am beginning to realize that I will be anything but that. Having serious doubts as to whether I did the right thing.

Joffe at the consult was very vague to the put where I thought it was unprofessional and sales man like.

So naturally, I am little concerned if not offended, that when I went in for surgery that I also met Dr. Yau for the first time and nothing was said to me at all about Joffee being gone.

Just because I don't post a picture of my BMI for the world or put up recipes does not mean I am not allowed to want to know the true reason. Its bad enough the canadian lapbander board insists on you have having no privacy about a very personal procedure.

Back pain is an interesting theory, but I highly doubt anyone at the centre itself will tell potential or current clients the whole truth.

Back pain is an interesting theory, but I highly doubt anyone at the centre itself will tell potential or current clients the whole truth.

...and WHO CARES????

As for your second doubts, I'm sorry to hear that but perhaps you didn't research it enough prior to doing it.

Also, don't forget, it is toughest at the beginning so you aren't going to feel "normal" right away.

As for the diet coke....if you do a search, you will see that the verdict is basically still out on carbonated beverages. 50% of docs say no, 50% say it doesn't matter (unless it bugs you and causes you pain). Like I say, do a search on the topic and you will see that quite a few can still drink carbonated beverages with no issues (& with their doc's blessing) (of course it is wise to stay away from the high caloric carbonated beverages!).

Yodda: You made my day. I love you. I was told that if I dared to drink a caffeine diet pepsi, I would burst my band. The anology was "shake up a pop and watch it explode". I have been terrified but I do miss my diet pepsi. I thought if I opened one and left it to sit for awhile, maybe I would be OK but was to afraid to even try that. Now I will try it in moderation of course. Thankyou.

PS: I accept the comment about the back problem. I can believe that as Dr. Joffe is an extremely overworked surgeon.