Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 years post lap band removal

I still see posts from people who love to say "the lap band didn't fail you...you failed the lap band" to some forum members unable to lose with the band. I'm here to tell you they are wrong. What most bariatric surgeons don't tell you is that the lap band DOES fail in some cases. My own surgeon didn't tell me this little fact until I went to have mine removed and only then did he tell me there are a small number of people who *never* get the appetite suppressant effect from the band no matter how tight it is.

My band was put in just before Thanksgiving 2009. Over the next year and a half my doctor and I struggled to find a point where I'd get the appetite suppressing effect without the band being so tight I couldn't eat anything except sliders...and we all know that sliders are not good food choices, but when you're so hungry your stomach is constantly aching and growling, they'll do. So during that time, I played with the same 20 pounds. Losing when I stayed hungry and miserable. Gaining when I couldn't take it any longer and ate the sliders.

The band also put pressure on my diaphragm which caused a radiating pain to my upper left arm...worse when I laid down or unable to sit fully erect. So a dining table chair was fine. Sofa, car, etc...not so good.

Finally, in March 2011, I had the band removed. Sadly, I am left with some residual after effects. Not as invasive and unaltering as a bypass or sleeve, but still left with some permanent changes.

Despite the band being removed, I still occasionally get the left upper arm pain which we've discovered is due to scar tissue from the band rubbing on the diaphragm. Not as often as with the band, but still...

A bigger problem is that the band, in just 18 months, reshaped that area where it sat. So when I had the flu last fall and throwing up, it was a serious problem. I couldn't just work through it. I had to have an anti-nausea med because the pain of *not* being able to actually bring anything up through that opening was horrible. On a more minor irritant level, occasionally I'll forget and take a big gulp of cold Water and it will immediately rebound, choking me. All I can do is stand over the sink, open my mouth and hope that automatic reflex will eventually regurgitate the Water completely. This one I've learned to deal with by no longer drinking anything with ice and adding warm water to my cold tap water so it's not quite as cold.

Pre-band, I did lose (over a couple year period) 90 pounds (thankfully, never put it back on), so when the band was taken out, my doctor suggested before doing something as drastic as bypass, to see if I couldn't find what motivated me before. Yeah...it took me a little over 2 years and a completely different motivator (diabetes getting worse), but I've managed to lose another 40 pounds in the last 6 months and finally got my diabetes under control without meds by staying on Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". Only another 60 pounds to go.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from getting the band...just making aware that it *DOES* fail some people by not working the way it's supposed to and may leave permanent changes, although not as drastic as bypass or sleeve.

I think most of us go in KNOWING there are cases where the LapBand doesn't work if we do our research. I'm glad you've been able to continue losing.

Edited by HotButterFly

I think most of us go in KNOWING there are cases where the LapBand doesn't work if we do our research. I'm glad you've been able to continue losing.

That implies that those who don't know, didn't do their research. Sorry...just not so. I did tons of research including frequenting various forums for 2 years prior to committing to the surgery and *nowhere* was it said that the band doesn't always work. At that time, it was "if the band doesn't work, it's because you're doing something wrong." I'm glad to see that this may no longer be the case, although I'm still seeing a lot of posts where the banded is still being blamed for the failure when they appear to be doing everything right. Also, at the time I was trying to figure out why I was getting pain in my upper left arm, nobody seemed to know despite frequenting *many* forums and asking. Yes, others had the pain, but were being told there was no correlation. Now we know differently.

It's the chance that you take when you have the surgery. Nothing is 100% but if it's worth the risk and the chance that it might not work for you or that you might have complications from it then you go for it.

Not everyone is compliant with their bands or their doctors advice, and that might be the vein of the posts you are reading. When a band fails for any number of reasons, we don't and can't possibly know them all.

I am sorry that the band did not work out for you and that you suffer from the results of being banded, wish you all the best and thank you for sharing your story.

Edited by lisacaron

This is a chance you take with any WLS, not just the band. I would think anyone going into a major surgery like this would know the risks. I also think it's important to research HOW the wls you chose is meant to work, and help assist with weightloss. I truly believe people think that the band will 'stop' you from eating (the tighter the better, 'I shouldn't be able to eat that', etc...), when that's just not the case (not saying this is what happened to you, I'm just speaking in general). It's a whole new lifestyle, and it's learning to work with it.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Wishing you much success, and continued weight loss!

Despite the band being around for awhile, I think the 'awareness' of the band being able to fail and some of the other problems (diaphragm rubbing, etc.) is more prevalent now than back in 2009...thanks to these band forums and people being less afraid to speak out when the band doesn't work for them. I know prior to getting my band and even for a year afterward, people were afraid to admit the band failed them because the response was always "No, you failed the band." Perhaps it's different and the posts I've seen telling people they've failed the band are in the minority or they have longer experience with these people and they truly aren't compliant. :/

I'm glad you're still finding a way to lose the weight and it sounds like you're getting better.

I am due to have my Lap band removed in about a week and I can't wait. The Port Pain I have been living with for 7 years will finally be over and the pressure in my chest as well. I have also been suffering from infections from unknown origins for 4 years and I've always wondered if it was the Lap Band. Soon it will gone. Any advise for Post Surgery?

ElfiePoo, you're not alone. There are many of us who were compliant, followed the rules and were told the failure rate was something under 5% or so. Euphemisms such as difficulty swallowing, regurgitation, Constipation and acid reflux minimized the possibility of serious conditions such as achalasia, gastroparesis and esophageal dilation.

"Pouch packing" was often cited as the cause of esophageal dilation' directly blaming the failed bandster. The band itself can damage the lower esophageal sphincter, causing food to back up in the esophagus. When I read of random tightness, morning tightness, or a bandster feeling way too tight months after a fill, it's a red flag of this type of damage. I often am questioned as to my level of compliance when I had the band. I also read statements that only 5% of failure is not the fault of the bandster. I've yet to see supporting data for that statement.

Your post might warn another person early enough to prevent post band side effects, like referred shoulder pain. Thank you for posting!!!