Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Zzzzz.........

Hi there, recent article on sleep: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/29/sleep-health-benefits_n_4461303.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

For many of us it's easier said than done -- we know we need better sleep but have difficulty achieving it. What I liked about this article is the idea of committing to the idea of better sleep, reducing screen time at night, having a regular bedtime routine, etc. Best wishes, every one, for good sleep and excellent health in this coming year......

I agree with that article. I find it hard to get enough hours of sleep in and then the quality of sleep is not always the best. For me it's mostly the hubby trying to get comfortable with his hip pain at night and he can keep me up with the tossing and turning big time. I don't complain because I know how much pain he is in and this cold weather is NOT helping matters. On a personal note for me, there are so many things that have to be done...and my mind can keep spinning way into the early morning hours and never shut down if I let it.

Since being banded I have made a very concentrated effort to get more sleep, and to create a routine that I diligently try to stick to especially during the week.

On days when I'm feeling good (this winter I seem to be sick every other day!) I try to get up extra early and get a 20 minute walk, stretch or meditation in before getting the day started. I have to tell you that 20 minutes in the morning really makes my days go so much smoother. I feel more alive and alert and in control of the way I am able to deal with the often times uncontrollable events of the day and rest a little easier at night.

How about you? Do you have anything specific that helps you get more/ better sleep?

on one of my visits with my PA, she and i discussed my sleeping habits. i keep my husbands hours, he works PM's. going to bed at 2am and getting out of bed at 10.00. i am a fitfull sleeper. i wake constantly so one of my doctors put me on ambien. being bipolar it was important to get at least a couple of uninterrupted sleep. i have been on ambien for about 5 years. well this pa said that the ambien could be the cause for my sleep eating. for most of my night time cravings. sometimes i get up in the morning and look at my kitchen i cleaned the night before to discover what i ate during the night. ugggh. so for the last couple of months i make every attempt to get to bed by 11.00, no sleeping pill and get up by 8.00. that way my day has enough hours in it to eat 3 square meals. i found that i sleep better without the ambien. surprise surprise. and my night time food cravings have diminish. i still have trouble getting to bed at a decent hour but i do try. what i have found from a better sleep is having more of a emotional healthy attitude the next day.