Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not so friendly reminder from my band

Last night we were at the mall and I was VERY hungry. Silly me decided not to eat a snack before heading out of the house and just wait till we went to dinner. I ordered some spinach and cheese dip as an appetizer and because I was so hungry, forgot to pay attention to how big my bites were and how much I was chewing. Before I knew it I was STUCK. Usually, I can wait it out and it will pass but I must have eaten too much for that. I found myself in the restaurant bathroom "throwing it back up". Unfortuntately since it was a busy Saturday night the bathroom kept getting crowded and I couldn't get it all up. After watching my family eat their delicous looking dinner and a tortorous drive home, I was finally able to get to my own bathroom. It took 3 more PBs to get it all up. So not fun...So it will be liquids for me today and possibly tomorrow as even drinking my morning coffee this morning is a slow process.

So why am I sharing this?? It is definitely NOT to scare people off. I LOVE my band. I have lost almost 90 pounds. I exercise 6 days a week. I can buy clothes at ANY store. :D I would totally get it done all over again and recommend it as the best tool for weight loss. BUT you have to follow the rules no matter how hungry you are. Take your time and chew well. I want to give new and old bandster a FRIENDLY reminder so their bands don't give them an unfriendly one.

Yep, been there done that. Not at a restaurant, but at a family dinner. I find that its easier for this to happen if I'm really hungry. I try not to let myself get to that point.

Last night we were at the mall and I was VERY hungry. Silly me decided not to eat a snack before heading out of the house and just wait till we went to dinner. I ordered some spinach and cheese dip as an appetizer and because I was so hungry, forgot to pay attention to how big my bites were and how much I was chewing. Before I knew it I was STUCK. Usually, I can wait it out and it will pass but I must have eaten too much for that. I found myself in the restaurant bathroom "throwing it back up". Unfortuntately since it was a busy Saturday night the bathroom kept getting crowded and I couldn't get it all up. After watching my family eat their delicous looking dinner and a tortorous drive home, I was finally able to get to my own bathroom. It took 3 more PBs to get it all up. So not fun...So it will be liquids for me today and possibly tomorrow as even drinking my morning coffee this morning is a slow process.

So why am I sharing this?? It is definitely NOT to scare people off. I LOVE my band. I have lost almost 90 pounds. I exercise 6 days a week. I can buy clothes at ANY store. :D I would totally get it done all over again and recommend it as the best tool for weight loss. BUT you have to follow the rules no matter how hungry you are. Take your time and chew well. I want to give new and old bandster a FRIENDLY reminder so their bands don't give them an unfriendly one.

Glad you shared :P ....yep having a few embarrassing "restaurant" episodes comes with the territory of being banded. I've had many over the years, and I've learned what foods to avoid in restaurants with a restrictive band.

I also keep my ammunition with me, Papaya enzymes, and hot tea! I can control how tight my band is by drinking hot liquids or chewing a few papaya pills, this allows me to eat with friends and family when dining out without excusing myself to go Pb.

By the way you look amazing, congrats on your success!!

These posts are so helpful; thank you so much! An important reminder of how easy it is to get caught in that mode of mindless wolfing down of food. After all, we did that for years! Sorry about the stuck episode. So far I have only had one but I am still in the process of getting fills. I am also reminded of how being out in the world can be more distracting and that I should be doubly mindful of how I am eating.

Love looking at your stats. Woowoo! Way to go!

Unfortunately we do go through this from time to time. I too sometimes forget and take too big a bite. My band is at the point that it won't allow the food to even get through which is good for me. If I bite slightly larger than the normal small bite and it does go through and I didn't chew, chew, chew, oh my talking about a horrible feeling. Thanks for the reminder. It's always a good one. I'm glad you were able to throw it all back up. Continued success.

It IS however nice to know that the band is there....keeping us in check from doing those stupid things....it is a learning curve, and eventually, with the band disciplining me every time I step out of line...eventually I learn...call it Behavior Modification if you like (which I desperately needed).....any event we are FORCED to learn new habits or the band will give me a slap in the face....

That is why I do not refer to the band as a tool...for me, the band is in charge, and if anything, I am the tool being used and manipulated...which is just fine with me...otherwise I would never have changed on my own.......

But no matter how well we think we learned our lessons the hard way, we still do those stupid things without thinking sometimes....a few nights ago I took a bite of that brown bread at the Outback....thought my whole night was going to be ruined....before they served us our food.....fortunately it did go down as I was walking to the bathroom........and I was reminded once again who was in charge, and why I have had the success that I have....

Edited by B-52