Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 5'8" and 185lbs (40-45 lbs overweight)

I am 5'8" and 185lbs.... so I'm about 40-45 lbs over weight.

How much should I expect to loose with the band and how quickly?

i already work out 3-4 days a week and eat decently.. what do you think? Thanks!

Are they allowing you to get the surgery? Usually your BMI has to be over 40.

If you do get it, I would expect you to lose about 20 pounds. 50% of your EXCESS weight.

You currently have a BMI of 28.1

If you lost 25 lbs, you'd be at a BMI of 24.3 - which is considered healthy.

BMI Categories:

• Underweight = <18.5
  • Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
  • Overweight = 25-29.9
  • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I am not sure I would go through surgery for 25 lbs.

over my life going to the doctor I have always been "off the charts" its said that for a female who is 5'8" I should weigh beteween 126-150 (being the high end) I work out and eat fair.. and I only keep gaining. is 135-140 unrealistic with the band?

I hate those charts! I think they're the devil!!! If you find a surgeon that will do it, I think weight loss may be a bit slower for you but you could probably still lose all your excess weight if you follow the band rules.

How many calories/ how much do you eat currently?? If you are already on a really low caloric intake I don't really think the band will help you other than to make it easier to stick to less calories.

I would be SHOCKED if someone were to do Lapbanding on you. Not to say that people aren't able to make their own health decisions, but the band is simply a tool. You need to work within the tool like lots of other things available. Not to sound critical, I just think that you have such a tiny amount to lose in comparison to some, you need to really ask yourself Is the band right for me? I bet you look awesome already! Good luck

POPT

Tracey

It depends on your Body Frame. Do you have a small medium or large body frame? Google the term and you can figure it out by measure your wrist and elbow girth, etc. Now if you have a small body frame then the kind of weight you are talking about is reasonable. But if you have a large body frame then you would be too thin at 130 pounds most likely. I'm 5'8" and I know I would be too thin at 130 pounds-- I have a large frame. I don't think I would want to go lower than 150 pounds, not in order to still be able to have a lot of energy and muscle and so forth. So these are things to consider. Also the surgeon will need a five year or so history of failed diet attempts, etc.

Also over in Mexcio and other countries where the band has been used for 13 years or more... they will band people as a PRECAUTION.....

Check out the Lower BMI bandsters and you will find people JUST LIKE YOU! (Look for BabyGotBack)

GOOD LUCK!

Since you don't have too much to lose you may find yourself a slow loser at 1 lb a week. That is the average weight loss so keep that in mind. I don't know how many calories you take in during a day so it is hard to figure out where you need to be. You may have to only eat 800-1k calories for optimal weight loss. Good luck.

I am 5'8" and 185lbs.... so I'm about 40-45 lbs over weight.

How much should I expect to loose with the band and how quickly?

i already work out 3-4 days a week and eat decently.. what do you think? Thanks!

my GOAL weight is 180 and i am 5 9ish ...

i honestly do not think they would band you, most MDs say 100 pounds overweight or 35 BMI w/ 2 co-morbidities ...

maybe try some other sort of exercises? log your food intake, maybe work out with a personal trainer?

Hey,

I know how you feel. In fact, we all do. We were all 180 pounds at some time in our lives and we were struggling to get a handle on our overeating.

I'm all for the idea of prevention. I feel like I was banded as a precaution and as a relief. I did not want to wait until I was 100 pounds overweight before taking drastic actions. And when the fill amount is good I am spared the pain of the constant obsession with my weight and eating. It helps me to feel free!! The first time I heard about the band I knew I wanted it...and at that time I weighed less than I do now.

Good luck! It is a long-term decision.

Tracey....

While I agree with you to a point she might be a person that fights weight issues non stop. We don't know yet if she is a person that has lost hundreds of pounds over the years or if she is at her max now.

I used to think that people that were not significantly obese were not good potential band people but I'm changing my mind about that. If it is a life long struggle to keep weight off, why fight it? Why not just get banded?

Just my personal opinion.

i totally agree. i haven't made any significant moves towards the lapband surgery yet. but i am definitely going to look into it. right now, my bmi is 38-39.7. i know my weight isn't getting any smaller. in fact, it has always been increasing. i don't think i have co-morbities (unless you can include pain in joints and feet and migraines), but by the way my weight is rising, i may just get them, plus i already have a family history of co-morbidities such as hypertension, etc. my bmi is still below 40, so with these factors, could the insurance company deny covering the surgery with these circumstances? (i have been advised that since my bmi is almost 40, i shud just try to gain some weight.)

what do you guys think?

Totally agree with Bubblebutt here too - I had a BMI of 35, and I was as good a candidate as anyone, I have fought my weight my whole life and I'd reached the maximum weight I was willing to tolerate. Why on earth should I be unable to get the band just because I wasnt "fat enough". I was plenty fat thanks.

Here in Australia they will band people with a BMI of 30 or above.

I'd think with a BMI of 28 you're probably not at serious risk of health problems related to obesity, you're not actually obese, so it'd be difficult to convince anyone on that score but I think prevention is a totally valid reason to be banded. I was ALWAYS going to get fat and would have benefited as much from the band when I was 20 as I did at 38. I just gained a whole ton of weight in between.

I think you can expect to lose all of your weight if you're willing to work at it. My experience has been that its VERY hard to lose the last of it, it takes every bit of dedication and willpower just as it did preband. Unless you want to be tighter than a fish's proverbial and barfing up everything semi solid that you eat, you actually have to call in the willpower and self denial at this stage, and you have to exercise your butt off.

To me the beauty of the band is in getting you to a healthier weight without too much drama but most of all in KEEPING the weight off. That's where it's real value lies to me.

With so little to lose, I would be incredibly surprised if you find a doctor that would be willing to band you in the US. If you are serious about getting the lap-band, you'll probably have to go to Mexico to be banded.