Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help me. Food addiction. Binge eater. I probably should not have had surgery

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I am lost at sea without oars. I am a binge eater or food addict. I was desperate and five years ago I got the sleeve. At first it helped and the binge eating stopped but as time went on I changed my food addiction and binges into graze binges on smaller amounts. Slowly the weight came back and I stopped following any rules. I even went back and tried conventional weight loss diets like Jenny Craig and Lite and easy. I kept mini bingeing for days then back on diets just like the old days but the binges are smaller. I drink Pepsi max everyday and am addicted to sugar. It's almost like I never had the sleeve done at all and I am so disgusted and ashamed with myself. My head followed me after the surgery and I am scared I have completely blown it. I have started the 5 day pouch test (on New years Day how cliché) and have all my food ready for this but I am actually struggling to remember what it is I am meant to be eating as a post op sleever years out?

I have a couple of questions.

What are the general guidelines for sleevers regarding food types, frequency and amounts and liquid dos and don't s. Things to avoid? ( I can eat almost a normal meal now) :( What's a normal sleevers meal?

Is there a support group on here for compulsive over eaters, binge eaters or food addicts?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Too Cheeky (still)

I will say we all have a problem otherwise we would not be here. I feel your pain and I hope you continue your journey to conquer this. My husband and I are on this journey because of morbid health problems. Being retired this year, we don't have to face challenges outside the home. I am saying a prayer for you toocheeky because I don't have the right words..... but I wish you happiness and success. I just wanted you to know I am thinking about you tonight with a heavy heart.

Welcome back. I am glad you have reached out. That is a great first step.

First, it sounds like you know you have a problem with eating. I would encourage you to talk to a therapist about this. You can find therapists who specialize in all kinds of eating problems. Google for NEDA, National Eating Disorders Association. There is a directory of service providers there. If you are outside the US, let us know where you are so we can help you find a similar organization in your area.

Second, about the mechanism of eating with the sleeve. The sleeve doesn't expire or stop working. You have asked for the "rules" and I will outline them for you. See the link in my signature to a list of all of the major post-sleeve diets I could find from various surgeons and hospitals. They go into details. But here are the rules:

1. Protein first, every time you eat. You want more than 60 grams a day.

2. Denser Protein is better. Chew your protein as much as possible. You will feel your restriction and you will feel full longer.

3. After protein, vegetables are most important, then fruits, then other things only if you are on track with protein and gave room.

4. No drinking with your meal or for at least 30 minutes afterward.

You might look for the Boot Camp diet which OregonDaisy posted. It is basically those rules. Good luck!

No sense in beating yourself up over this. Learn from it and it sounds like your getting off the sugar by eating the 5 day pouch test. It helps with eliminating the cravings.....

I do really good when I eat Protein and veggies. If I eat carbs I want more and can eat a lot more, so after tomorrow, I will eliminate all carbs except for veggies.... :P

You can do this, Misty gave you really good guidelines.......you can also look up "The 5:2 Diet" and many of us have used this to help loose some weight too. ;P

What is the 5 day pouch test?

What is the 5 day pouch test?

I was wondering the same thing to. I googled it and it looks like it is a five day eating plan that has foods that are supposed to help you break a spiral of a high carb/sugar diet snd get you back on track. It's kind of a detox. I'm not an expert though so if someone else knows better/more please chime in.

Here's the link i got my information from:

http://5daypouchtest.com/plan/faq.html#6

Edited by Comfy_Blue

I did the 5 day pouch day and it worked!

I plan on doing it another time soon.

You are here reaching out and that's Great!

Wishing you great Success!

You can do it!

weight came back - stopped following rules. scared I have completely blown it.

toocheeky

we can't change the past - its over and done with

today is a new year - you want to get back on track, good for you

the Protein et al are very, very important rules

eat small meals, little pieces, chew thoroughly

put utensil down a couple of minutes before you eat again

as said by OP, never drink with meals

people have been shot for less :D

stop drinking about 15-30 minutes before you eat

after you finish eating - do not drink for 45-60 minutes

and drink, drink, drink all day - as much as possible - but at least 64 oz

you are taking responsibility for "screwwwing up" - so now you can get your act back together :)

its not easy, but no one ever said this voyage was easy

and it is sooooo worth it :)

how much weight did you initially lose - reached goal??? how much did you regain???

stick to the rules again, with the knowledge that once you lose, you need to make a life commitment to eating correctly

this is your new way of life :)

i see B) the determination in your face and i know you can get your act together again!!!! :)

remember, work with the sleeve, and the sleeve will work with you :)

"support group for compulsive over eaters, binge eaters, food addicts????"

who the heck are all of us on the board???

chopped liver!!! :lol:

we've got your back

we ALL know you can do this :)

keep reading the boards, come back with your questions

and you'll get plenty of that much needed support from all of us

thats what we're here for ;)

2014 will be YOUR year!!!!

congrats on your return to improved health with the sleeve

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I didn't think withe the sleeve regain was possible?

Edited by penman53

The guidelines for eating with a sleeve really haven't changed much in the last five years, so what you learned then should be helpful now.

You may want to consider contacting your bariatric center (or another if you don't feel comfortable), and ask for a referral to a psychologist/psychiatrist who specializes in eating disorders and bariatric patients. This person can help you deal with the issues you're faced with and help you get back on track.

Best of luck.

post deleted

Edited by penman53