Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wow, so in June I had to have my lapband removed, it was completely ineffective. What a let down. I gained 100 pounds in 2006, 80 of them were from developing PCOS, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

I lost 40 pounds in the pre-op program. I had the band 3 years and the first two years, I stayed at around 200 pounds. I was vomiting and having food stuck almost every meal. Then the third year, I thought, maybe it's my fault. Maybe I should try harder. I had gone back to adult ed for a cert in web design and so I worked out at 5 AM every morning for over an hour. That was at the gym, then 2 months later I tapered into doing a 90 day program with DVDs, then I did Insanity with Sean T. for the rest of the year. I counted my calories and did nutrisystem, which by the way, gets gross after a while and most of the food gets stuck anyway...

I digress. After all that, eating 1000-1200 cals a day with one cheat meal a week for avoiding starvation mode, I lost 15 pounds. 15 pounds in a year. My boyfriend joined me 4 months before it ended and he lost 100 pounds. I was so frustrated, but my doctor said it was my insulin resistance. Then I went back to the bariatric doc because I couldn't afford to go the second and most of the third year, and he is not the original surgeon. They did an upper GI (barium swallow test) and he showed me that it didn't work.

So I applied to have the sleeve done the same day but insurance said I was non-compliant since there was a 2 year gap of not seeing the doctor regularly. We appealed it twice and then finally they had me do the new patient 3 month program all over again and was approved.

Now I'm post-op and doing pretty good. I've been recording video entries to see the progress and remember the little things that I might forget or to just remind myself not to take my health for granted like I always did before.

The surgery was so exciting after months of waiting and hoping... and then the day came and I recovered quickly according to the nurses, walked around the floor a lot and stuff, then I came home and had to focus on the liquid diet and was still a little euphoric.

Now it's over, I'm on mushies and I feel... bleh. I know depression is normal afterwards, but it's just this generalized ick feeling. I am walking and doing everything right, but I feel like I didn't even have the surgery done. I don't feel this life changing thing that I did when I got the lapband.

Does anyone else forget they had the surgery? It's weird, right?

Caity

Edited by Defying Gravity

Hi Cathy,

First off congrats on your smooth recovery from your sleeve surgery.

I've heard lots if revision patients say that it's such an easy transition that they almost feel nothing had been done.

But the feeling of blah can get us all in the first month.

Oh and I moved this thread to the "band to sleeve revision" section so it can be seen and answered by fellow former lap-banders :)

No it is not weird at all..you had all the emotion and excitement with the first surgery...You now know that it will be work for you for the rest of your life...You look at this differently...You now know the difference between a miracle cure and hard unrelenting work to stay on board...

You got this though..your on your way..I only see good coming out of this...Buck up buttercup and get it going!!!!!

I am proud of you for continuing the work to get where you are.....Your amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@laura - Thank you! I didn't notice that forum and also didn't intend for it to be about the band but it ended up being that way. That makes me feel better about how there's usually no pain and stuff. It's what keeps me wondering if it was a long dream.

@RJ - Thank you for the kind words. And everything you said makes total sense, and helps. I still feel in a funk, but at least I understand it better. Can't wait to be a Bariatric Master like you! :)

DG, you may not know this but reading your post has brought me peace being a former lapbander soon to be revised.

Knowing ahead of time about the blahs will help me when that stage comes around. Congrats on your sucess too.

This is good to read! I am about to start my pre=op trying to set my mind for my revision and sleeve on the 13th. I know what needs to be done I was very successful witht he band the first 5 yrs even though I could never be completely filled and got stuck constantly.

I know the band has to go, I just pray there are no complications with the surgery and the sleeve.

Caity, congrats on your revision. My revision was back in May after 6 yrs w/the band. (4 of those yrs. dealing with the probs of my band). I completely agree w/Laura V. 1) I've found the adjustment to having a sleeve a bit easier because of some things I learned having a band. However, there will still be things that are different. For example, the feeling of full is different now than before and there are no such things as PBs. 2) Feeling bleh is part of the transition through the food stages. I was so ready for July when I could actually eat REAL food, no Soup or mush. Granted it was tee tiny amounts, but...it was real! :-) Take this time of ease to really focus on embracing the change. Build up YOU. Best of luck!

Annette

I'm almost two weeks out and have a case of the "Blahs" too. I am following all the rules and sticking to my diet but the thought of another vanilla/chocolate Protein Shake makes me want to throw up. I am struggling to get in all the Water, but am making an effort to get better with that. Next week I'm on to mushies and I can honestly say the only cravings I've had we're for red meat and seafood. Strange. I think the first few weeks are the hardest to get through, so I'm staying focused on all the rewards :)

Thanks for the responses. My depression comes and goes, mostly in the form of fatigue and lack of motivation, but I also have to remind myself that I'm freshly operated on and must relax/rest. It is quite mild though. With the band I got it really bad.

I'm so grateful for having this surgery, but I am a little disappointed that this doesn't feel like a new, exciting experience.

Best of wishes to you all, and thanks again for helping me understand why I feel so good, and that it's okay if I don't feel good about feeling good, if that makes sense, lol.

@ Sunsett and Bella - you will do great. The first night is real rough but only because I couldn't burp up the gas they inflate your stomach with. That was so painful but super short lived.

@Annette - isn't it wonderful when they took the band out and you could guzzle Water first in the morning, after years of vomiting? LOL. You are right about the differences. You're so lucky you can eat real food now! I'm only a couple of days into mushy.

@nursebeccarn - I am sticking to the routine but have cut back on my Protein shakes because I can't handle strong flavors and for some reason even my Isopure shake is way too sweet. If you want to talk, let me know. I hope you pull through those blues soon! (both of us actually!)

Caity,

I know exactly what you mean! I forget that I even had surgery (12/16). I haven't been depressed (yet!) - opposite - very happy to have revision surgery over with and have the feeling of fullness back and not being hungry all the time. However, I'm starting to get scared. I had heard that for some reason, weight loss can be slower for former bandsters - not for sure why. What scares me is that the sleeve (for me) is so much easier in that I can already tell that I can eat foods that were hard for me to eat with the band (I was pretty restricted) and that if I overdo it - I have a very uncomfortable fullness feeling - but not having to throw up - which was a huge deterrent for me with the band. So I'm scared that I will overeat and eventually stretch my sleeve which I'm only 3 weeks out but I don't want another WLS failure! Also when I get discouraged I want to eat. I am not hungry and glad (now) that I did the 2-week liquid pre-op diet because it reminded me what true hunger is - not the head hunger or boredom I may get now. Also - a co-worker had gastric bypass this week and I know that the weight is going to literally fall off of her the 1st 6 months and people can't help but compare us even though I have tried to explain that sleeve does not have malabsorption - folks just hear "gastric" and its all the same to them. So I hope I won't get discouraged with my initial slower weight loss. Also - PCOS sucks! I also have it and depression is not only one of the common symptoms but the other "wonderful" symptoms we get cause us to get depressed. Yes, we are insulin-resistant so we are not going to lose as fast as others but we can still lose the same amount it will just take us longer and the key will still be (even with WLS) that we watch our carbs and sugar and exercise is a must to keep that metabolism going. You already have an exercise routine and a work-out buddy (your BF) so you are ahead of the game. Also, I think we are not as excited because we know the reality of WLS and that it is just a tool and not a cure and with the band when our tool "broke" we felt like a failure even though it wasn't even our fault (my band leaked twice) - at least we don't have a "mechanical device" to worry about. I cringe when I hear new WLS patients state "100 pounds lost FOREVER!" ... because we all know that is not always the case. But I am so thankful and feel blessed to have this WLS tool that was not available to me in 2005 when I had the band. Tomorrow is a NEW year and a new beginning for the both of us so smile and that about that hot black mini dress you'll be wearing next New Year's Eve! :-)

I thank you for posting this. I am due to have my revision to sleeve on Jan 28th. I had the band out in September. I have been so scared waiting to get it over with. I am glad to hear it wasn't that bad for you. Do you have any advise on what makes it go easier?

I thank you for posting this. I am due to have my revision to sleeve on Jan 28th. I had the band out in September. I have been so scared waiting to get it over with. I am glad to hear it wasn't that bad for you. Do you have any advise on what makes it go easier?

I would suggest a couple of things: 1) embrace the plan. As band patients, when things went bad the tendency was to just give up the meal plan. This time, really stick to the plan. It has helped keep my loss steady. 2) exercise, yes...it must happen. :-). I hate it, but I do it. Now, it might be just walking, it might be Zumba, but I've decided that (for me) it is a must. (To me, it is my job and I must do it...3-4 times a week). Find what you like...then just do it. 3) support, support, support. Whether here online or a local group that meets, but having buddies to share the experience with is a great piece for success. You'll do great! Best of luck!