Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cheated with veggies

I'm 3.5 months out and not at goal yet. Since day 1, I've been very good about getting all my Protein in (I'm lucky in that I like my Protein shakes). But all week I've been fantasizing about grilled vegetables--and I mean bad enough that I was ready to go buy a new grill. Finally yesterday I went to a (semi) gourmet supermarket and bought balsamic grilled onions, red bell peppers, asparagus, squash and zucchini for dinner. I ended the day a little low on protein (about 50 grams) but that tasted SO good. I know the rules but I'm wondering if any of you do something like this and if anyone knows how big a problem this would be if I did something like this once a week (or less often). In my head I'm thinking that I didn't eat fruit or bread-based carbs so what I did wasn't so bad. And I don't really think my bell peppers are a gateway drug to a strawberry shortcake dinner (yes, my mother is famous for doing that on more than one occasion). I just wanted to confess and get feedback from the more nutrition-savvy members. How many Hail Mary's do I owe the group? ;-)

I don't know your doctor's plan or guidelines but I have been allowed and encouraged to eat veggies that complied with my diet phase (v8 in liquid, puréed Soup in purée, overcooked carrots in soft, etc) the whole time. At 3.5 months out I didn't have any restrictions and was allowed any veggies I could tolerate after I had had Protein at a meal and as long as I was making my daily goals most of the time. I would have had a hard time coping without them!

I don't know your doctor's plan or guidelines but I have been allowed and encouraged to eat veggies that complied with my diet phase (v8 in liquid, puréed Soup in purée, overcooked carrots in soft, etc) the whole time. At 3.5 months out I didn't have any restrictions and was allowed any veggies I could tolerate after I had had Protein at a meal and as long as I was making my daily goals most of the time. I would have had a hard time coping without them!

My guidelines are the same. The concern I had was that I put the veggies ahead of Protein (I did have a small bite of DH's chicken) and I came out short on protein yesterday because of it. It's the first time I really didn't care--I just wanted some veggies so badly. If I had planned better, I would have had a Protein Drink mid afternoon and I would have been ok on protein intake. I was just wondering if anyone saw a potential setback issue.

No worries about a setback but dang! Why didn't you save me some?

Now you have me craving them!

Veggies are da' bomb! :)

Market Street deli, baby! Their balsamic grilled veggies are a staple and are awesome cold or hot. I must have had a crazed look in my eye last night because the whole family waited until I fixed my plate before they ripped into them. :-)

Personally I think you were craving them and probably for a good reason..Your body needed the Iron, and Fiber, and whatever Vitamins there in....

Try to add some veggies in there as a regular part of your diet....they are good for you too.....

This is a personal opinion......Always go with your surgeons recommendations first and foremost!

There a lot worse ways to cheat! Eat them more frequently so you can kill the craving and still get your Protein in. Win win.

I want some roasted brussels sprouts and cauliflower. WAH! Now, back to my Premier Protein drink.

I don't see anything wrong with this! If you were regularly making choices that prevented you from getting in your Protein, I would encourage you to figure out a way to time things to have one more Protein Shake, but 50g of protein in a day (particularly when you're typically coming in higher) plus a plate full of veggies sounds just fine to me! I would encourage you to mindful of any hidden calories in those glazes. I've not had the Market Street grilled veggies, so I have no idea what's on them (if anything). When dieting pre-op, I have had veggie dishes that I thought would be fine, but when I later logged them into MFP, the sauces ruined my day. Also, if this is going to be a habit that might make for lower protein several times a week, you may consider some InvisaWhey, a whey powder you sprinkle on food. I'm still early and relying on shakes, so I can't speak to the flavor of InvisaWhey, but I've read of other sleevers using it.

Market Street deli, baby! Their balsamic grilled veggies are a staple and are awesome cold or hot. I must have had a crazed look in my eye last night because the whole family waited until I fixed my plate before they ripped into them. :-)

Have Market Street near me! Will be pitty patting my recently sized 8/10 butt down there today. They will be perfect with our anniversary filet mignon and really nice bottle of wine. 34 years deserves the best! There will be no guilt involved tonight for such indulges! :)

I was told by my nutritionist, the body only needs 42g of Protein per day to function properly with no deficit.

Veggies? Bad? Not in my world! And I'm 15 weeks out. I've been eating them since week 3-4.

As long as they're not cooked to oblivion (which, if they're roasted, they shouldn't be)

Roasted veg are a standard staple of mine. Most of my dinners consist of roasted meat, veggies, perhaps a small bit of potato and gravy.

Failing that, it's lean Protein and a plate of mixed salad - with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette.

I make all my food from scratch, so I know what's in there. The day I have to forego any form of vegetable matter will be a very sad day and if I was ever advised to do so, I would have refused to have the surgery.

Veggies - are very important. More important in my books than the highly processed protein bars/protein shakes/fake yoghurts and Desserts people are pummeling down their necks in the belief that they're 'good' for you.

I eat the Protein shakes and bars solely out of convenience alone. I like my kitchen. I want to continue to use it! :D

I'm 3.5 months out and not at goal yet.

^^^ this is a joke....right? I just reached goal at 3 years!

Since day 1, I've been very good about getting all my Protein in (I'm lucky in that I like my Protein shakes). But all week I've been fantasizing about grilled vegetables--and I mean bad enough that I was ready to go buy a new grill. Finally yesterday I went to a (semi) gourmet supermarket and bought balsamic grilled onions, red bell peppers, asparagus, squash and zucchini for dinner. I ended the day a little low on protein (about 50 grams) but that tasted SO good. I know the rules but I'm wondering if any of you do something like this and if anyone knows how big a problem this would be if I did something like this once a week (or less often). In my head I'm thinking that I didn't eat fruit or bread-based carbs so what I did wasn't so bad. And I don't really think my bell peppers are a gateway drug to a strawberry shortcake dinner (yes, my mother is famous for doing that on more than one occasion). I just wanted to confess and get feedback from the more nutrition-savvy members. How many Hail Mary's do I owe the group? ;-)

I am a vegatarian, and sooo love veggies. I know early on there isn't much room for them, and sometimes the tummy says NO!! to some of them. I couldn't eat raw for months... What I did, and still do, is make a big pot of veggie Soup, and eat away. It slides right down, so does not fill you up for long, you get in your veggies, tastes good, good for you and if made right is low cal. Also counts towards your water! I also love stir fries, steamed and other veggie preparations, added with veggie Proteins.

Dang girl, did you read what u wrote? Ur confessing to cheating on veggies. WTG!!!

^^^ this is a joke....right? I just reached goal at 3 years!

I'm 3.5 months out and not at goal yet.

Congratulations! I meant that I haven't moved into "maintenance mode" and I'm still in my "building new good and lifelong habits" honeymoon. I've heard so much about the problems people have 2-5 years out who didn't spend the first 6-9 months building a new skill set. I am so excited to be getting thin (again-I've done non-sustainable Herculean losses twice before) that I feel like if I ever regain it will be like Flowers for Algernon. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sabotaging a long term process.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I realize now that making sure I get at least some (roasted/low sugar) veggies is a really good idea. My sleeve and my gut really enjoyed them too!

I would encourage you to mindful of any hidden calories in those glazes. I've not had the Market Street grilled veggies, so I have no idea what's on them (if anything). When dieting pre-op, I have had veggie dishes that I thought would be fine, but when I later logged them into MFP, the sauces ruined my day. Also, if this is going to be a habit that might make for lower Protein several times a week, you may consider some InvisaWhey, a whey powder you sprinkle on food. I'm still early and relying on shakes, so I can't speak to the flavor of InvisaWhey, but I've read of other sleevers using it.

Thanks for both comments! The glaze almost certainly had some sugar added but it was very lightly applied. They also had green Beans and a different grilled veggie dish that looked coated in butter, so I avoided those. And I had never heard of InvisaWhey, so that was awesome. My Amazon account is getting quite the workout tonight!