Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Atkins Eaters...Need Suggestions Please :)

Hello Folks!

I am looking for suggestions for different meals to cook that are Atkins Introduction friendly please :)

Also tell me if you are doing Atkins? How long you have been on it? How well it has worked for you? and How you got started on Atkins?

My Answers:

I have tried it 3 times now (Just started over again). I have been on it for two days now. It has worked for me in the past and seems to be working for me now. and I got started on it because of the suggestion of one of the Main nurses at my surgeons office.

Now your turn!!

The whole purpose of the band is not to need those diets anymore. No I am not being rude when I say this. All the things that didn't work for us preband will not work post band. Let your band help you. There is no need to diet anymore. Just eat Protein filled foods and good carbs such as vegetables and the weight will come off. You don't need Atkins, slim fast, south beach, weight watchers anymore. Eat what your doctor told you too and you will be just great.

I'm thinking about starting Atkins again, too. I know I can lose weight using the band correctly, but since the holidays I've succumbed to my sweet tooth. Atkins helps stop the cravings for sweets and jump starts weight loss after a stall. I'll only do it for a couple of weeks then start adding in carbs. My plan is to have 1 scrambled egg sprinkled with shredded cheese for Breakfast, a chicken caesar salad (3 oz chicken, 1 cup lettuce) for lunch, and then some sort of meat (3-4 oz) and veggies for dinner.

Atkins is a diet. It is a healthy diet, but it is still a diet. With proper adjustments you should lose wight with just the band. Do I avoid bad carbs... you bet I do, and sugar. The rest is just eating well balanfced healthy meals.

The whole purpose of the band is not to need those diets anymore. No I am not being rude when I say this. All the things that didn't work for us preband will not work post band. Let your band help you. There is no need to diet anymore. Just eat Protein filled foods and good carbs such as vegetables and the weight will come off. You don't need Atkins, slim fast, south beach, weight watchers anymore. Eat what your doctor told you too and you will be just great.

My doctor told me to follow Atkins. In order for me to eat properly I have to follow some kind of plan to get me on the straight and narrow. I am still learning how much I can eat. Now I may be doing Atkins but If I get full while eating my meal I stop. It is just a basic line for me. Reminds me that Ice cream is not a viable option...haha

I'm thinking about starting Atkins again, too. I know I can lose weight using the band correctly, but since the holidays I've succumbed to my sweet tooth. Atkins helps stop the cravings for sweets and jump starts weight loss after a stall. I'll only do it for a couple of weeks then start adding in carbs. My plan is to have 1 scrambled egg sprinkled with shredded cheese for Breakfast, a chicken caesar salad (3 oz chicken, 1 cup lettuce) for lunch, and then some sort of meat (3-4 oz) and veggies for dinner.

I am the same way. I need to get myself straight before I can go off and eat or I will just continue to crave loads of carbs and sugars. My Doctor and his nurse actually recommend Atkins in order to get eating under control. I was hoping this post would be more helpful but I can see the fact that Atkins is followed by diet is throwing it off. My mom did Atkins for a few weeks to get herself back on track and ended up dropping 50 pounds in a few months. (She is a WLS person too).

My surgeons office provided me with a diet and I have followed it for 13 months and lost 125 pounds it is simple 4 oz protein3 times a day at month 3 add 1/2 cup veggies a day at 4 months add 1/2cup fruit once a day at month 6 add 4 oz dairy once a day
Once you have lost 75% of you weight add 1 whole grain starch and take Vitamins every day like GERITOLl or 1 a days IF you start the starches and gain cut back oh and drink no calories shakes smoothies liquor etc

Edited by GrandmaBarb

Eating the Atkins way after WLS is a great LIFESTYLE to follow, as its not a diet (IMO). You are basically eating clean.... Protein, vegestables, fruit, nuts, and more importantly, NO SUGAR... this is my to-go site. Linda's recipes are AMAZING!!

My favorite is Cilantro Chicken.... Except I use tilapia or basa fish.

My surgeons office provided me with a diet . . .like genital or 1 a days start

Don't you hate predictive text, lol

Edited by SandyM

Don't you hate predictive text, lol

LMFAO!! I didn't notice that...

And did the website post?? If not, tell me so I can paste if again.

Lol, it posted

I did Atkins once for about 19 months and lost 170+ pounds. Problem is I didn't stick with it and do it properly. I was 393lbs when I started and made it down to 220. I did induction phase the entire time as I had so much to lose. So I was restricting carbs pretty good. Maybe had I actually kept going and move into the other phases I wouldn't have gone backwards and gained all my weight back plus an additional 90. I went for my band consult at 488lbs.

I am not putting down Atkins as I do agree it is a good 'diet' but it was quite obvious to me that it was not something long, long term or a lifestyle change that I could live with forever.

I am please to say with my band I have managed to get the weight back off and I did it without depriving myself or dieting. Maybe had I done Atkins correctly I wouldn't have to be banded but I don't think so.

Best of luck all. Just wanted to share my Atkins experience for what it was.

Hey! Big love for low carb and Atkins. Personally I prefer more paleo but there are some brilliant recipe sites out there.

I always loved boiled eggs wrapped in ham or chicken slices as a snack. Definitely filled me up.

Not sure how many greens you're having yet but I used to love making this side dish of sauteed spinach then pouring over a mix of beaten eggs, cream and seasoning. Bake it in the oven until the eggs are cooked and it makes a lovely side dish for your steak or chicken.< /p>

If you're in induction I would imagine you aren't having much cheese but when you do chicken stuffed with gorgonzola and crushed walnuts and wrapped in parma ham is so delicious. Its Breakfast time and I'm on all liquids and now drooling at this haha!

Good luck!

Eating the Atkins way after WLS is a great LIFESTYLE to follow, as its not a diet (IMO). You are basically eating clean.... Protein, vegestables, fruit, nuts, and more importantly, NO SUGAR... this is my to-go site. Linda's recipes are AMAZING!! <br> My favorite is Cilantro Chicken.... Except I use tilapia or basa fish.

. Can you post the site? It is not on your initial post. Thank you!

I'm confused as to why people are dissing Atkins when it's pretty much what the NUTs tell us... Protein then veg then carb if we can handle. That's the basics of Atkins. I dont necessarily plan to follow Atkins to a T just low carb and sugar... Once I'm out of the healing phase that is