Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandiversary!!

What is your "Bandiversary" goal?

Honestly, I don't really have one. My original goal was to be 100 pounds down, but I know now I am not going to reach that, but am not at all discouraged by this either.

What have you learned this past year?

I have learned that I am worthy of good health, love and respect, no matter what I look like on the outside. I have also learned that food is not the most important thing in my life anymore. food is merely fuel so I have the energy to spend time with and do things with my family.

Could you share your most rewarding NSV (non-scale victory)?

I have a couple. One is that my PCOS has improved with every pound lost. I am also no longer borderline diabetic, which was a huge NSV for me. In terms of really fun NSV's, about two months ago I cleaned out my closet. It was wonderful getting rid of all my old "fat" clothes and saying I am never going to wear these again because I will never be this size again. Then, I went to the mall and went shopping for new clothes at normal sized stores, not Lane Bryant.

What is your biggest challenge?

The main reason I got fat was because I just plain love the taste of food, especially salty, crunchy junk food. Unfortunately, that type of food goes down easy. So, my challenge has been staying away from those bad foods. I occassionally treat myself, but it is nice that my band doesn't let me get out of control when I do. Never again will I sit down and eat an entire bag of chips in one sitting and then sit there and cry afterwards because I am so humiliated with myself.

What tips would you pass on to the April 2007 newbies?

Be patient and remember that everyone loses at different rates. I was a bit frustrated by the fact that compared to most April 2006 bandsters, I am losing slowly. But then my doctor pointed out that I am averaging out at more that 1 pound a week, and the band is designed for me to lose 1-2 pounds a week. And, I have done that without feeling deprived. So be patient, accept how your body loses weight and the rate at which it does and do not compare yourself to others because everyone is different.

What is your greatest fear?

Losing my band, not succeeding. I

What goals do you have for the future?

By summer, 2008 I want to put on a bathing suit, go to the beach and not be embarrassed. I also want to go back to Tennessee on a vacation with my family. We went 4 years ago and there was supposed to be a very beautiful, natural waterfall. However, it was a 2 mile hike up a very extremely steep mountainside. I did not make it very far before I had to turn back because I was just too fat and too out of shape to make it. But I insisted my family go on ahead of me and enjoy it. I sat down in the car and cried. I am determined to go back there now and climb to the top of that mountainside with my family so I can see for myself how beautiful that waterfall is.

How has your life changed?

I am more confident, happier, have more energy, am able to do more, am healthier and just feel 100% better!

Has living with the band met up to your expectations?

I am not going to lie, I expected the weight to come off a lot faster and I expected everything to be a breeze. But, it does take personal commitment and you really have to want it. As they say, the band is a tool, not a miracle. But, once I realized I have to want it and work it, it most definitely did meet my expectations and I love my band.

If you could talk to yourself a year ago, what would you say?

Don't be nervous, this is the best decision you will ever make for yourself. You may feel fat and frumpy now, but this time next year, you will be feeling hot and sexy!

Hey, Susan, I think you have done a fantastic job this year! You are right, it is NOT a race against others. This is a personal journey that we are sharing with each other.

I love the story of hiking to the waterfall. You will get there and it will probably be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life.

I passed a Lane Bryant store today and had a little chuckle to myself as I turned into banana Republic instead!

Wonderful, heartfelt post!

Well,

I am going to chime in on these great questions!

I don't think I had one, but if I had to say, it would be to be to be only 10 lbs to goal.

That I am strong, that it is possible, that the weight did not define me, but it did change me, that I can be proud with being ego drivenand...

that the support of those you love is the most important part of this entire equation.

Wow... there have been so many

buying jeans at GAP

being hit on at restaurants

being told that I have the vitals of an athlete

running my 5 k race

being asked to leave a support group, because it was for those with weight concerns (I had to explain)

a colleague not recongnizing me...

the best... my daughter telling me how fun it is to go sliding together

not being over confident

not spending too much money on new clothes (my latest addiction)

think of your band like a tool that will support you

follow the rules

add exercise when you think you can

and know that you are human and we all make poor choices at times

gaining weight

changing me too much

people treating me differently

get to the weight I am happy with

run a 5 k in under 35 minutes

keep running

wow... is there enough room to list them all???

easily buying clothes I like

getting a taxi has never been easier

I feel more comfortable in my body

physically I can do what I want now without having to worry

exceeded

If you could talk to yourself a year ago, what would you say?

It's okay... you will make this journey, you are ready to be in this place, it is where you are supposed to be... and you will be supported and you will be proud

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/191/179

exercise this month= 22

I keep coming back to this thread gobbling up the newest posts from the 06'rs.......... THANK YOU! Susan, yours made me cry because I can relate to the waterfall......

We ALL have a "waterfall".....don't we??

My goal is to be "overweight" instead of "obese" - I'm close! If I don't make it I promise not to "beat myself up" - I will soooooon!

That it is not "all or nothing" - before one slip would send me over the top and to making all the bad choices again. That I have to slow down in my expectations - I want it all off right now!/want to be able to exercise for 2 hours and feel like a kid again - For me, that does not work. God willing I have time to make this life changing adjustment to the way I eat and the way I make my body move.

My ankles are no longer swollen, my knees do not hurt, my blood pressure is normal, I handle stress so much better.....................I can walk miles.........I love to exercise (amazing)! I fit into a size 12 pants (that are getting a bit baggy).....and a M/L top..............bra size went from a 44DDD to a 36DD....

To listen to the full signs - still have a tendancy to put more in than I can handle..............at times still forget to chew my food good (yes, even after almost a year)...usually when I'm talking and not paying attention.

Follow the bandster "rules" - get the fills that you need - it does so work! I love my band....use this tool correctly and it will do the trick for you. START EXERCISING - JOIN OUR EXERCISE GROUP...............for me this has been the second best tool.

Losing my band! If I did - I'd have it replaced as soon as possible.

To continue on my road to better health thru more weight loss (this year's new goal - and additional 20 - 40 lbs) and keeping myself as fit as I am now and possibly adding additional fitness classes (more strenghth building).

I'm a healthy 67 year old grammy of 8.............I feel "light" - I don't hurt -

I like myself - I look forward to a healthier older age!

YES, YES, YES.

For those of you who don't know - this has been a verrrrrrry stressfull year - my 44 year old son AND my 71 year old husband both had heart valve replacement surgery...........they're both doing great................AND

any other year I would have gained weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yipee - thank you band and all my band friends!

Aw thats really encouraging Betty.

Hey I saw your before and after pic, you look amazing, and so much younger now!

I sure hope that happens to me too, my hubby will think he has a new wife! :P

Sara - I was very close to the same weight as you - just you wait - your hubby will be chasing you around the bed even faster! You''ll be able to run faster - more fun when he catches you!

LOL Betty,

I cant wait!! I might show my hubby your message on here, he'll probably GULP with nerves!!!!! LOL

.......I just showed him, he just chuckled :welldoneclap:

Hahaha, Betty! Here we go AGAIN! :welldoneclap:

CUTE!

Hey Boo - see even at 67 you can still be a slut!

OH GOODY!!! :welldoneclap: Something to look forward to!

Terry, you took the words right out of my mouth!!! Haha! I just noticed your surgery date!!!! That is so exciting!

Seriously, Betty, you are amazing. Yeah, we all would have gained going through such trauma. I hope you are all gently healing. Good thoughts are coming your way.

XOXO

Dawn, I have the same fear of gaining it back. And your clothes shopping addiction is totally what I'm going through. It is so fun to try everything on. Odd to think that when I was on my way up, I was repulsed by what I saw. Now, I am just so grateful!

Calling all April Bandits of 2006: Let's come together and share our successes!

I dont think I have one, one year ago I thought I would be thin, but thats not realistic since I had like 130-140 pounds to lose.

That food doesnt need to be my comfort thing:-)

I havent seen my empoloyee since he left last January, when I met him couple weeks ago he didnt recognize me:-)and also I can finally shop in normal clothes stores:-)

overcoming my cravings and sticking to small amounts of chocoalte:-)plus not weighting myself every day

listen to your body and dont get upset when you hit a plateu,just stick to your excercise and good food choices.dont weight yourself very often just watch sour clothes...and definitely come to LBT cause the support I get here also keeps me going:-)and I must thank to my fellow bandits:-) for all their suppor.THANK YOU ALL!!!

That I eat something Im not supposed to eat and that I will fall back to my old patterns (overeating).I guess Im getting a bit obsessed with food,which is not very healthy

losing another 26kgs(57 pounds) and being hot as hell..lol..if needed I might get the TT or breast surgery,but I hope that good excercise with my trainer will help me

Im more confident and happy with myself.I love the attention I get from people, telling me that I lost so much weight:-)

Yes definitely

Bandsters of April 07 if you have any questions or comments feel free to ask because when I was doing my research people here helped me so much and I will be more than happy to help others to my best knowledge:-)

Hey and excuse my English Im Czech and English isnt my native language..lol:D

Thanks Eficka! I love coming here and reading your thoughts a year later; it's very encouraging. And thanks for dropping by the April 07 thread. We're all very HYPER (excited) right now!!!

I am of Czech ancestry too....I'm 1/2 czech. There are lots and lots of them here in Texas and I'm proud to be one! I miss my grandma's kolaches and klobasniks-- can't get a decent one for miles and miles around here!!