Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandiversary!!

What is your "Bandiversary" goal?

To consistently weigh in below 200

What have you learned this past year?

That I CAN do this!!! That my life does not have to center around food.

Could you share your most rewarding NSV (non-scale victory)?

I take no more prescription meds for high blood pressure, or diabetes. My back doesn't hurt. I FEEL healthy!

What is your biggest challenge?

To eat enough veggies, and some fruit. I havre a tendency to eat meat...and other high Protein foods, forgetting my body has other needs too!

What tips would you pass on to the April 2007 newbies?

To enjoy the year---yes we all want to be at goal NOW!!!! But getting to know yourself and your body along the way, is wonderful. Seeing how far you can push your new abilities---is eye opening!

What is your greatest fear?

Losing my band! I try really hard to make the way I do things into a habit, so if something should happen, I would KNOW what to do, to keep from going back where I was.

What goals do you have for the future?

Taking my grandbabies to amusement parks, and Water parks, and not embarrassing either of us! To be the best support I can for others following me on this weight loss experience.

How has your life changed?

I breath easier, I feel healthy, I don't feel people staring at me, I buy clothes in Misses sizes. I wear jeans again, I can wear flip flops without my feet hurting. There are so many of these little things---there are also big ones. I upped my life insurance, and did not require a Dr. exam to do it! It has been full of changes---wonderful, dream filled changes!

Has living with the band met up to your expectations?

Yes, I didn't go in with a lot of expectations...this was not as involved (the board) then. I expected not to be able to eat some things, that I have been able to eat. I read about all the PB's---only to find out they are not a daily occurance! I expected the surgery to be more painful---all in all it has been much better!!!

If you could talk to yourself a year ago, what would you say?

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! I had failed at so many diets, I really doubted myself going into this too. I would explain the why's and the hows that I have learned along the way. Knowing why you are on a liquid diet, makes it so much easier to stay on! Knowing why you are sliming, makes it less scary. I researched, but I learned so much by experience!! I would share my own experience!!

Banding is without a doubt one of the best things i ever did just for me---i would do it again in a heartbeat, and recommend it to anyone and everyone who asks me!!!

Kat

The posts are so honest and heart felt...you made me cry too. Keep em coming.

Sophie123 and Kity, you ARE making one of the most important decisions of your lives! Our stomachs may be banded, but we are also banded together by our desire to overcome weaknesses and fully engage in life. We can relate to each other because of our struggles and desires.

Please check in with us. We want to help our April '07 newbies because we have found great success in our association on this board.

This thread is so very inspiring to all of us that are anxiously awaiting our banding. You probably remember your anxiety, too....second-guessing, worrying, wondering, mourning, etc. Every time I have any doubts I just hang out on LBT for awhile, maybe go look at the before/after thread or the 'would you do it again?' poll, and I'm right back at the place where I know without a doubt that I am doing the right thing. Thanks to all of you for taking the April 07 Bandwagon under your wings. It helps more than you know. :love:

How has your life changed?

Oh my gosh, what a question! I fit into life again. I don't worry about finding the "right" seat on the bus or whether a folding chair will break under my weight. I can shop anywhere. I care about my appearance. People treat me with more respect, even just walking down the street -- it shouldn't be that way but it is. I got a new job making triple salary. Triple! Men hit on me. I'm excited about tomorrow.

Has living with the band met up to your expectations?

It's far exceeded my expectations. I expected to be about 250 or 275 now. Instead, I'm in the 190s. All I expected from the band was to get back to Twoterville. Actual day-to-day life, the band exceeds my expectations as well. I thought I'd have way more limitations on the types of food I'd be able to eat.

If you could talk to yourself a year ago, what would you say?

I'd say be kind to yourself. You're a pretty cool person and even though you don't like yourself a lot right now, you've got the potential to love yourself. I'd also say, self, since you've got this ability to talk to yourself a year ago, try to see if you can talk to yourself 5 years ago and get a band then. Don't waste time trying to find another option. You're going to exhaust them all and still wind up 350+ and banded. Save yourself the emotional and physical trauma.

Om my gosh, this has made me cry. Thank you so much for saying these words. I hate myself at the moment, and the thought that I could emotionally feel like this/you in a years time opens up a new lease of life I truely desperately need.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Om my gosh, this has made me cry. Thank you so much for saying these words. I hate myself at the moment, and the thought that I could emotionally feel like this/you in a years time opens up a new lease of life I truely desperately need.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Sara, you're very welcome. And you WILL feel this way about yourself in a year. Probably even less than a year. After about 3 months, when I got good restriction and stopped being so driven by food, I started truly feeling better about myself. True, the weight loss wasn't so noticeable to the outside world at 3 months, but things were starting to change within me about how I felt about myself. Believe me, the time FLIES. You'll be feeling so much better about yourself much sooner than you think. April 2nd is really soon. Just hang in there. You're going to make it and you're SO SO SO doing the right thing!

Hi--

Sophie what I meant by that remark---knowing why you are sliming makes it less scary---is this---

When I was banded I had researched thoroughly the process, and my Dr. all of that. I had a fairly good idea of what a PB was---but when I failed to chew well enough following my first fill, I began sliming---and if not for the helpful souls here on LBT, I would have been even more scared!!! Lucky for me one of the older (band wise, not age) members was up late that weekend, and told me what was going on, that it was ok!

FYI---slime is VERY thick, VERY sticky mucus. Your body produces huge amounts of it, if your body senses something is stuck or you overeat. It is trying to "slick" the obstruction up to help it pass. Unfortunately, when your pouch is full, there is nowhere for all the slime to go...so spitting it is the best option, if you try to swallow all of it, it will 9 times out of 10 throw you inot a full blown PB and you will lose it all. When you do swallow it, and then PB it, it often comes up in long strands referred to as ropes...it is heavy, it all sticks together, and comes up....sounds nasty, it is...BUT...the slime is tasteless, and odorless....just an annoyance! It does not choke you to PB (vomit in a way) it up....it is just bizarre looking---I know that sounds gross....but trying to be 100% honest here!!!

My point was just that the more educated you can get on this site as to what might happen to your body, the better prepared you are, and you aren't sitting at home at 11 PM worrying that something is wrong, because you are "foaming at the mouth"!!!!

You guys are right when you say we can probably remember a year ago--how nervous and excited we were!!! I Can! I remember sitting in this exact chair, at this computer looking at the before and after thread....not believing for a second that I could have my own pics there! I remember telling DH that the average/suggested weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. I told him, can you imagine me being 50 or more pounds less in a year? As it is- it is closer to 100!

For every pound and every inch lost I have gained in confidence, and insight, and hope. It has been an incredible year---a successful one with my band despite some serious health issues for my DH that took priority. I am telling you all if I can do this through the last year---anyone can. That is one of the wonderful things about the band, when you are least able to concentrate on eating right, and working to get the weight off---it is still there working for you.

You are all headed for a great experience!

I am loving reading my band sisters responses!!!

Great thread Boo!!!

Kat

Julie, I just love seeing your little "fishy ticker thing" at 199!!! I've watched it swim ever week for the past six months or so. It was exciting when you reached the 100 pound weight-loss! I am looking forward to the day (very soon) that you swim right past me. DON'T DOUBT IT! It WILL happen! :P

Sara, it is now a matter of days. When I was walking to the surgery center in Mexico (!), I first thought that I was crazy, and then thought that I was a failure having to resort to surgery, until I stepped inside. A wonderful peaceful feeling came over me that help was finally here. I met other lovely people who shared the same struggle. I knew inside that everything would be alright. I wish that for you! Your life will have new meaning. Thoughts won't be dominated by food and size. The ridicule from others and from yourself will vanish and you will feel free to explore new options. You don't hate yourself. You love yourself enough to take this courageous step. We are all rooting for you to succeed!

Dear Julie and Boo,

Thank you so much for your kind words of encoragement. My emotions of late have been going through a lot of ups and downs, which is effecting all areas of my life.

This is a truely exellent and helpful site/thread for us April 07 bandsters, without your insights and experiences I or my April 07 collegues would'nt know what was happening to us (i.e. Kats explaination - above of a symptom).

I'm counting the days down now, I think we all are in the 07 group!! Please keep this thread going, its so helpful x

Sara xx

Hey Boo--

It's been a few day since your post, but I wanted to make sure I responded. I actually moved my surgery up one day to the 5th so I could go with someone I met on the board on the same day. She and I are both going alone, so I did it so we both could have some support even if we don't know each other! LOL So, I will actually be banded on your bandiversary! Whether you like it or not, I'm designating myself your official Little Band-sister. :wave:

I haven't met Ortiz yet, but am really looking forward to it. I'm getting nervous, but reading everyone's stories really helps keep me focused and excited.

Pre-op diet hasn't been too hard due to the dental work I've been complaining about all week. I'm really not looking forward to the post op liquid phase, but if I still can't chew, what difference will it make, right?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

YEAH!!! Heather!!!!!

I'm it, your big/little sister! That is the most exciting thing I have heard all day! It made me cry, and you will understand why next year at this time. After I've adjusted to the banded life, and have enjoyed the benefits of the work I've done, a tremendous appreciation has grown inside me. My life has greater meaning. Each day is full of awe, instead of self-loathing and fear. Now, I want that for others (YOU!).

I love going to Mexico for check-ups. Going to Ortiz' office for a fill has another purpose. Every time I go, someone is sitting waiting for surgery. Of course, I receive compliments even though I have only lost about 40 pounds (size 10 jeans, though!) The satisfying part of these day trips is to reassure the nerves, answer questions, and put a friendly face on a banded stomach.

I won't lie and say that this next month will be easy. Being on liquids for six weeks was very difficult for me. And I truly beat myself up for being so sneaky and weak to choose TJ for surgery! You will try to talk yourself out of it, and afterwards you might blame yourself for making a mistake. But hold tight! You have to dig down to the depths of your soul and cling to that resolve to CHANGE! We all choose this course of action because we don't want to live with the handicap anymore, AND because we envision another life.

Keep telling yourself to be patient. Be patient with your hunger. Be patient with your band. Be patient with your weight-loss. Be patient with yourself. There is no rush, we just have to comply with the rules and plan given by Dr. Miranda, Dr. Ortiz, and Dr. Martinez. Soak up EVERYTHING they have to say. They really do know what they are doing in the O.R. and in how they advise their patients.

One other thing about Ortiz that patients don't know, you can make a request for music as you go under. First I listened to Andrea Bocelli. I love "classical" music and also requested the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's "Messiah." I thought it appropriate and was singing "Hallelujah" in a full operatic voice! I went under laughing and in a good mood, and woke up the same way (minus the singing). But if you love country or mariachi or Snoop Dogg ("drop it like it's hot), just let them know. They will change it and listen to what they want while they operate.

I wish I could come down and meet you that day. I will be there a week earlier for a fill. (I am completely unfilled at this time...MAJOR temptations abound!!) But we can exchange e-mails and also post. It is extremely helpful to have mentors through this process AND peers!!

Again, YEAH!!!!! Go, HEATHER!!!!!

YEAH!!! Heather!!!!!

I'm it, your big/little sister! That is the most exciting thing I have heard all day! It made me cry, and you will understand why next year at this time. After I've adjusted to the banded life, and have enjoyed the benefits of the work I've done, a tremendous appreciation has grown inside me. My life has greater meaning. Each day is full of awe, instead of self-loathing and fear. Now, I want that for others (YOU!).

I love going to Mexico for check-ups. Going to Ortiz' office for a fill has another purpose. Every time I go, someone is sitting waiting for surgery. Of course, I receive compliments even though I have only lost about 40 pounds (size 10 jeans, though!) The satisfying part of these day trips is to reassure the nerves, answer questions, and put a friendly face on a banded stomach.

I won't lie and say that this next month will be easy. Being on liquids for six weeks was very difficult for me. And I truly beat myself up for being so sneaky and weak to choose TJ for surgery! You will try to talk yourself out of it, and afterwards you might blame yourself for making a mistake. But hold tight! You have to dig down to the depths of your soul and cling to that resolve to CHANGE! We all choose this course of action because we don't want to live with the handicap anymore, AND because we envision another life.

Keep telling yourself to be patient. Be patient with your hunger. Be patient with your band. Be patient with your weight-loss. Be patient with yourself. There is no rush, we just have to comply with the rules and plan given by Dr. Miranda, Dr. Ortiz, and Dr. Martinez. Soak up EVERYTHING they have to say. They really do know what they are doing in the O.R. and in how they advise their patients.

One other thing about Ortiz that patients don't know, you can make a request for music as you go under. First I listened to Andrea Bocelli. I love "classical" music and also requested the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's "Messiah." I thought it appropriate and was singing "Hallelujah" in a full operatic voice! I went under laughing and in a good mood, and woke up the same way (minus the singing). But if you love country or mariachi or Snoop Dogg ("drop it like it's hot), just let them know. They will change it and listen to what they want while they operate.

I wish I could come down and meet you that day. I will be there a week earlier for a fill. (I am completely unfilled at this time...MAJOR temptations abound!!) But we can exchange e-mails and also post. It is extremely helpful to have mentors through this process AND peers!!

Again, YEAH!!!!! Go, HEATHER!!!!!

Boo, you are so awesome. Your enthusiasm just makes me feel so good and hopeful. It's funny because you hit some of my current issues on the head. I've been second guessing myself the last few days, and was thinking maybe I shouldn't do this. When I read your post, my committment was renewed, and I was thinking "you know, I really DO want to do this." So, thank you, thank you, thank you!