Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you order a plate of food?

Which are you more likely to do? Here is the scenario: You are several months out from having had your surgery. You the kids and your spouse decide to go out to eat. At the restaurant your husband orders a menu item you would normally order anyways (something you would probably order right then in there). So do you: A. not order a plate and just have a small bit of your husbands meal or B. order a plate of food anyways even though you know darn well you won't ever come close to finishing it?

If you picked A. then exactly how do you explain to the waitress that you aren't eating or that you are all set after not ordering anything? I am the type of person who will let my husband and daughter order their meals and have some of my husband's chicken he is eating instead of blow money on another plate that I don't feel is necessary.

Today at subway I was there with my husband and daughter and I was trying to order a foot long sub for my husband and daughter to share (obviously right now I can't even think of eating that) and the woman grabbed 2 foot long breads thinking I was ordering a foot long for each of us. I told her no, only one foot long. She asked me twice if I was sure I didn't want another foot long. Ugh!!!

I order what ever I want. I can take it home and eat off it for days, or freeze some. Going out to eat is a treat so I don't worry about wasting. I order as smart as I can and sometimes hubby and I share a dish.

I don't like wasting but we go out to eat for enjoyment and do enjoy.

Having a grown son helps a great deal. Those dudes will eat anything!

To add, I do think restaurants are more used to sharing. If it's someplace you frequent often, order whatever you would but tip as though you ordered two Entrees.

It's easy in local places, they seem used to it.

Yep news! I don't go out often.. But when I do, I order my own plate.

Shortly there after the buzzards circle (husband and kids) so it's never a waste. If the food makes it home usually my son will have taken care of it by the time I get out of bed the next morning. :D And wait staff? Who cares...

Edited by laura-ven

My wife and I do try and come to a consensus on what we order to avoid left overs and save on cost. I have found myself compromising quite often, but hey, that is what you do in marriage. :)

So far my husband and I have split an entree. We just tell the server we are splitting whatever the menu item is. No one has given us any problem. If he ordered something I didn't like or couldn't have, I would order my own entree and eat leftovers or my son could eat it.

We don't like the same things so we each order our own. I tend to choose something small and pack half of it up for later. Or I eat the best bits and leave the boring stuff.

Edited by mistysj

Hubby and I usually share.. However, the hospital gave me a card requesting the restaurant to all me to order on child's menu. Due to health reasons.

Hubby and I usually share.. However, the hospital gave me a card requesting the restaurant to all me to order on child's menu. Due to health reasons.

Really? did you request the card? I never heard of such a thing lol. I wonder if my bariatric office would give me a card?

My doctor's office provides a card too:)

I do not go out often but when I do sometimes I order an appetizer or a cup of chili and tell the server I want it served with everyone's else's meals. Kid's menu choices are not usually the best options(mac & cheese, pizza) but they are improving in some places. If there isn't an appetizer I like I order a regular entree and take half home.

Depends, sometimes I will eat off of hubby and kiddos plates, sometimes I order - just depends on what everyone wants to eat. I do have a card from the hospital to order kids meals, but I don't use it b/c it's usually chicken tenders, pizza, mac n cheese, or something along those lines. As for the wait staff, ummm I could care less what they think.

Really? did you request the card? I never heard of such a thing lol. I wonder if my bariatric office would give me a card?

It is at the restaurant's discretion to accept the card if you have one, and as others have said the kid's menu normally does not offer the most healthy options.

I usually order my own meal and take 1/2 to 2/3 home. I do get some strange looks when I ask for a box but I figure it's my money and I can do what I want.

Last night we went to a restaurant known for its buffet. I ordered an app and stayed at the table. My rat-like children wanted to eat off of my plate too, but I shut them down. That was my lunch they were trying to eat, LOL.

We've done it both ways, but when we decide to share an entree, I ask the server for an extra plate and follow that quickly with "we're going to share an entree, but don't worry, we tip well." It hasn't been a problem and we've always had great service (and we tip at least 25% to make up for the difference).