Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Important question to all sleevers!

Well, since it's the day after Christmas, and I was surrounded by delicious food yesterday (to which I did not have a single bite of...), it got me thinking... What if I would have had a bite of shrimp or salad or rice, etc...what would have happened? I've heard several people on here say never to try a new food away from home for fear of dry heaving, throwing up, diarrhea. I'm curious and want to hear everybody's "cocky" moment where they thought just a bite of something would be fine and... It wasn't fine. I haven't had any issues or felt sick with any foods so far, which makes me think I've just gotten lucky. Sooo... What was the food, how far post-op were you, were you with a group of people, etc... that made you wish you wouldn't have eaten?!

For me, personally…the biggest "danger" is that I sometimes forget that I can't behave the way I used to behave. So last night I felt a little bit full after dinner and had a glass of milk to settle things about an hour later. It came right back up. As I think about this, the issue was more that I needed to wait things out than to add anything to the mix. I was at home, so it wasn't a big deal.

But I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago when I was out with friends. We were drinking wine, talking…and I sort of thoughtlessly ate a couple of small pieces of flatbread pizza. Again, old mindset, new stomach. I felt the hiccups start to come on (thankfully!) and backed away slowly. But it was sobering.

I need to constantly remind myself to be on guard, at least a little bit. The good part is that so far I haven't given my stomach anything it can't digest. But I definitely have to be careful both with the social stuff, and with not thinking through what is really going on with my body.

For me, personally…the biggest "danger" is that I sometimes forget that I can't behave the way I used to behave. So last night I felt a little bit full after dinner and had a glass of milk to settle things about an hour later. It came right back up. As I think about this, the issue was more that I needed to wait things out than to add anything to the mix. I was at home, so it wasn't a big deal. But I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago when I was out with friends. We were drinking wine, talking…and I sort of thoughtlessly ate a couple of small pieces of flatbread pizza. Again, old mindset, new stomach. I felt the hiccups start to come on (thankfully!) and backed away slowly. But it was sobering. I need to constantly remind myself to be on guard, at least a little bit. The good part is that so far I haven't given my stomach anything it can't digest. But I definitely have to be careful both with the social stuff, and with not thinking through what is really going on with my body.

Yes!! That's exactly how I felt yesterday! It's weird, because I have had such an easy recovery, feel like myself (with a mild pain like I've just done sit-ups for a week), and as we were all standing around the kitchen, people were pouring wine, and as I was cooking, I naturally started to take a bite to taste the level of seasonings and had to stop myself. You are totally right though, we have to constantly remind ourselves to be on guard. Social gatherings always put us in a bit of a vulnerable state. (I would have probably done the same thing with the flatbread pizza haha)

Yes, my recovery was similar to yours. And I'm basically 2 months out, working out again, haven't tried anything I can't stomach…etc. Sometimes I forget that my whole physiology has changed, especially now that I'm basically cleared to eat most anything and able to exercise again.

I expect I'm going to have to really learn to be mindful now.

Just wanted to add that the vets have said that it first gets "hard" at 6 months. But to anyone who's coming up behind me timing-wise, I would say it first gets to be work after you are off liquids/mushies/soft. Because at least when you're on those you are still on a plan. I would guess that where I am now is the place that people start to slip up the most because the rules aren't quite as clear cut. 2 oz or 3 oz of Protein? What kinds of carbs? What can you eat, but more importantly what does your body respond best to? If you "get away" with something, are you the type of person who is likely to keep going back?

The problem with junk food, or even processed food is that it is so darned easy. Maybe in theory it's not really easier to eat a couple of crackers than to measure out a 1 oz portion of protein-rich food. But we didn't get to the point of WLS by making good choices before. And the big issue for me is that the liquids felt like a time out of reality, now that I'm out of them. And even though my recovery was easy physically that means I have to be extra careful now not to fall into old habits. Not portion size, but snacking/grazing.

Okay, off the soapbox now. Just my observations from the last couple of weeks back here in the world of "real" food.

Just wanted to add that the vets have said that it first gets "hard" at 6 months. But to anyone who's coming up behind me timing-wise, I would say it first gets to be work after you are off liquids/mushies/soft. Because at least when you're on those you are still on a plan. I would guess that where I am now is the place that people start to slip up the most because the rules aren't quite as clear cut. 2 oz or 3 oz of Protein? What kinds of carbs? What can you eat, but more importantly what does your body respond best to? If you "get away" with something, are you the type of person who is likely to keep going back? The problem with junk food, or even processed food is that it is so darned easy. Maybe in theory it's not really easier to eat a couple of crackers than to measure out a 1 oz portion of protein-rich food. But we didn't get to the point of WLS by making good choices before. And the big issue for me is that the liquids felt like a time out of reality, now that I'm out of them. And even though my recovery was easy physically that means I have to be extra careful now not to fall into old habits. Not portion size, but snacking/grazing. Okay, off the soapbox now. Just my observations from the last couple of weeks back here in the world of "real" food.

Very good insight!! I completely agree that this full liquid stage I am in right now is almost surreal and definitely not reality, yet nice that there is a packet of paper I can currently go to as my "guide" when I have a questionable food. I think the key to success is always trying to have a plan. I travel for my career and I can see it being very challenging a few months from now if I just try and "wing it" for lunch, Snacks, etc... It's been nice getting into the habit each night and putting my ziplock bag of Vitamins for the next day out, along with my measured out Protein Powder, shaker and Water bottles. Hopefully, when things get really hard around that 6 month mark, I'll be down a few more sizes and it may seem a bit more tolerable! ;)

Every time I eat rice I wished that I had not. It seems to ball up in my stomach and becomes unpleasant. The trouble is...I just don't want to believe it. Chinese and Mexican food were offered to me by relatives over the holidays and I tested it and came up with the same answer.

Reminds me of when we weaned my sweet daughter from the bottle. We said, "No, baba." She would do some light crying for about 15 seconds and then say, "Baba?"

"No baba", we said.

Again with the crying and then, "Baba?"

"No, baba."...

"waaaaa.."

It must have taken 10 cycles of this before reality set in.

About 10 years ago I learned that crab and lobster do not agree with me. They especially do not agree with me if I happen to be drinking red wine.

That said, you know when I finally realized that I could NEVER have those things in combination again? Yep, about 7 years ago. So there were a good three years there that I "tested" this every so often, and then spent a good 12-24 hours sicker than a dog afterwards. Is it possible these occurrences were coincidental? I suppose. However, at this point it is easier to plead an allergy and avoid the question. Something I intend to do now, for the rest of my life.

Some of us are slow learners. Or, as I said to my husband, "Fool me 1,347 times…shame on me."

Every time I eat rice I wished that I had not. It seems to ball up in my stomach and becomes unpleasant. The trouble is...I just don't want to believe it. Chinese and Mexican food were offered to me by relatives over the holidays and I tested it and came up with the same answer. Reminds me of when we weaned my sweet daughter from the bottle. We said, "No, baba." She would do some light crying for about 15 seconds and then say, "Baba?" "No baba", we said. Again with the crying and then, "Baba?" "No, baba."... "waaaaa.." It must have taken 10 cycles of this before reality set in.

Hahahaha... Great example! Yikes, I'm very nervous to have rice (when the time comes). Sushi is my ALL-TIME favorite food and I've heard horror stories of that coming right back up as fast as it went down! I wouldn't want to believe it either if I were you... Chinese and Mexican food are so yummy!

I was with family at our favorite mexican resturant, where I ordered my favorite spinach qesidia. I ate 2 small slices and in a matter of min., had to make a mad dash ti the bathroom where it was full ti throw up. I was so embarrased. So I wont be eating my favorite dish anymore.

Wedding night I got cocky with drinking. Not much of a drinker before. I was 8 months out from surgery and was out of my surgeons no alcohol window. Well my wedding night I spent most of the evening in the bathroom. Hangover was worse then I ever thought. Too much sugar wreaked havoc on my gut. Good thing my hubby is such an understanding guy. He laughs now that I spent our wedding night with the trots. Good thing it didn't kick in until after I changed.

I am over six weeks out and following rules and plans exactly... Blessed with a good recovery and feeling great. Went for Mexican food and was eating the "guts" out of a beef enchilada. Doing great and had to have one bite of a fresh flour tortilla. One bite... Not even one inch of a piece... BAD THINGS HAPPENED!

I am very afraid of tortillas now. Excellent lesson and a mistake I won't make again.

Now I am afraid of bread too. Probably a very good thing.

Wedding night I got cocky with drinking. Not much of a drinker before. I was 8 months out from surgery and was out of my surgeons no alcohol window. Well my wedding night I spent most of the evening in the bathroom. Hangover was worse then I ever thought. Too much sugar wreaked havoc on my gut. Good thing my hubby is such an understanding guy. He laughs now that I spent our wedding night with the trots. Good thing it didn't kick in until after I changed.

Holy crap!! Literally! Ha! Thankfully your husband can laugh at the situation! I don't blame you for wanting to drink on your wedding night and being 8 months out, who would have thought that you would have had that reaction?! Any experiences with alcohol since then?? I'm dying to know! ;)

I am over six weeks out and following rules and plans exactly... Blessed with a good recovery and feeling great. Went for Mexican food and was eating the "guts" out of a beef enchilada. Doing great and had to have one bite of a fresh flour tortilla. One bite... Not even one inch of a piece... BAD THINGS HAPPENED! I am very afraid of tortillas now. Excellent lesson and a mistake I won't make again. Now I am afraid of bread too. Probably a very good thing.

I'm seeing a trend here with Mexican food. Hahaha. Oh, such a shame too since fresh flour tortillas are DELISH! I am officially scared of them and bread after that horror story!

I had a glass of moscato at thanksgiving. I think all the shots of root-beer vodka is what did me in. No vodka for this gal.