Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tried soft foods... Totally bummed

Just tried ground beef for the first time. I thought I'd be fine considering that I had no issues with liquids or puréed foods. I was so wrong! Not only am I somehow up two pounds, but I got sick for the first time! I'm so upset. I was so careful to eat slowly and not eat too much, and still... Sick! Just having a "when does this get easier?!" moment. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

I haven't been able to eat it or ham without getting sick. They say keep trying that it will get better. I'm 6 weeks out and pretty much stick to chicken and thin sliced deli turkey meat.< /p>

You will have to go by trial and error. Some things you will never be able to tolerate again.

I thought that beef and pork were two things you weren't supposed to even try until six months out? That's what my NUT said anyway. I tried a tiny piece of ham the other day and almost got sick. Never again.

Mine just says to try something new every day and see what my sleeve tolerates after 6 weeks.

I thought that beef and pork were two things you weren't supposed to even try until six months out? That's what my NUT said anyway. I tried a tiny piece of ham the other day and almost got sick. Never again.

I've never heard that and I am 3 1/2 months out and eat beef and pork all the time. Well, I don't eat nearly as much beef as I used to but I do eat it with no issues.

I was unrestricted at 8 weeks. I've had no issue with any food at all. I've not had much pork, but I will have a few ounces of a hamburger patty and it causes me no issues at all.

I can eat ground beef OK. chicken (even pureed chicken) sits like a rock in my stomach. Had a little bit of ham yesterday (pureed). Can't do roast pork yet. But I'm over 2 months out now and still need to puree everything, can't tolerate vegetables, and still vomit at least a couple of times a week when I put something in my stomach it rejects (like vegetables!)

Every Dr and the post-op sleeve diet they require is different. My surgeon is strict about what to try and when. 1st few days were Clear Liquids followed by cream Soups and milk, then this week (15 days to 21 days post op) I was able to add soft cooked veggies and egg substitute to my diet. Next week (day 22-29) I can add tuna fish. 36 days post-op I can add toast and crackers ect. My diet also says to save steak and pork chops for last foods to add.

I think my Dr is so cautious because he wants to keep his success numbers high and complications low. Knock on wood he has never had a leak or a death. The other Dr with him had 3 deaths due to clots and 2 leaks.

I personally started with ground turkey seasoned, crockpot chicken, tuna, eggs, etc. When I did move on to pork and beef I made sure I added extra juices or gravy.

Lots of sauces or low fat gravy for things like ground beef and shredded chicken really helps. I don't think we realized how much we used to wash things down with Water or other beverages if they were dry.

My doctor is really strict too... And ground beef is not on the list until 90 days out. Pretty much the last thing! Maybe wait a few weeks and try again. Did you get the lowest fat content 95/5? That makes it dry so maybe adding a little no fat vegetable broth will help. Good luck and let us know if you figure something out!

My NUT told me I would be able to eat a steak at three months out. She is dreaming! There's no way I would be able to eat a steak. I can manage a little ground meat - maybe a desert spoon full. Actually, the further out from surgery I get, the LESS I am able to eat. Have resumed a daily Protein shake to get the calories and Protein in. (Not complaining - very happy with the weight loss!) SOOO happy with the restriction. Was out for New Year's drinks tonight (we are ahead of you guys in the States by several hours). My 2 glasses of wine lasted all night - couldn't drink them any faster. We had a bowl of French fries and I only wanted 4. FOUR!!!! That was it. Satisfied. Really satisfied. It is like a miracle.

So, my advice to newbies - it has gotten WAAAY easier for me the further from surgery I get. First few weeks uncomfortable and hungry. Wanted to eat, but it hurt. No longer hurts now, but i also don't have the hunger. Easier every day. :-)

I'm 13 weeks out. Ground beef is the only good that I can't eat. It feels like I can't digest it well. Burgers used to be my favorite. Now they repulse me. After I few bit i get sick.

It makes me sad when I read that people r having to give up whole food groups forever. Never dieting again is the reason I had wls in the first place. I must have a sleeve of steel cuz I can eat EVERYTHING. The first few months ice cream gave me tummy cramps and diarrhea but now I can eat it just fine (5 1/2 mths post band revision). I would be very sad if someone told me that after surgery I could never have beef, pork, or chicken again.

Good luck!