Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret this surgery?

First month or so sucks big time. It gets better, really. Just stick to your plan and it will get easier each week. Four months out you'll be feeling great, maybe even earlier than that.

I'm only 7 days out but idk how many times I've told myself I've regretted this but then I sit there and thought I only seem to regret this when my family is eating some kind of greasy fatty food and I regret it because I can't stuff my face like I used to. Then I sit there and say yeah I don't really regret this I regret stuffing my face before and getting to my highest weight of 242 on my 5'4'' frame. On my surgery date I was 219 and today I am 208. So I don't really regret my surgery I'm just having trouble adjusting and I know it will get better each day that passes!!

We do talk about the phenomenon of regret during the first few weeks post-op, also called "buyer's remorse" quite a lot here. However, pre-ops seem to close their eyes to this kind of discussion, so we have lots of people who post during their first few weeks asking about regrets, and replying to such threads. I wish somehow we could get the message out that this is a normal feeling, and barring complications, usually passes by the end of the first month, when you have mostly healed and food choices are getting more interesting. For those who are new, how could we have phrases this so you would have heard it during your pre-op research? When you were pre-op did you do a search for threads with "regret" in the title? Do you feel like you understood the post-op graduated diet before your surgery? I'm really curious if there is some way to make sure that the right info gets to people before the surgery is they are not surprised afterward by buyer's remorse, the three week stall, etc.

I read all of the regrets. The "what I wish I'd known". The graduation of diet. I want to be as informed as I can before my surgery in February.

7 days post op

I had hiatal hernia repair also. No problems with this.

Down 7 lbs since surgery - nice but not the main reason for me to do this surgery

Off Metformin, glimepride, and Lantus Insulin - left the hospital off of ALL DIABETES meds

Also removed 2 blood pressure meds at the hospital, just had one more removed on Monday with follow up visit.

Am able to hold down 80-100oz fluids, able to hold down yogurt and Protein shakes.

Life is good - no regrets so far other than the usual looking at the feasting the family does and I am not eating. The health benefits are huge so I am a happy camper right now.

This has helped me alot haven't had the surgery yet, just waiting on my approval and all the test to come back. I'm very nervous, and excited I looked at a picture of myself on Friday and really decided I don't want to look like that ever again.

Almost three weeks out and only 5 lb down. I have now bypassed regret and I'm just flat out angry. I feel like an idiot who wasted money and time. I know this is just a tool, but for me it's a pretty weak tool. I know it's senseless to be mad--it's not like the surgeon can guarantee any sort of result, but it's so disheartening because the first month is supposed to be the quickest weight loss, and I hate the thought of it slowing down even more. I cannot stay motivated if I end up losing a pound a month or something.

Almost three weeks out and only 5 lb down. I have now bypassed regret and I'm just flat out angry. I feel like an idiot who wasted money and time. I know this is just a tool, but for me it's a pretty weak tool. I know it's senseless to be mad--it's not like the surgeon can guarantee any sort of result, but it's so disheartening because the first month is supposed to be the quickest weight loss, and I hate the thought of it slowing down even more. I cannot stay motivated if I end up losing a pound a month or something.

Ok, gonna be ugly for a moment.....but we're you expecting magic results?!? Your just 3 weeks out. This means you're in the middle of healing and recovering. Give yourself a break! Keep in mind this is a LONG TERM thing, not a "poof it's gone" process. If you can't be happy with ANY loss, then this process will be hard. Cut yourself a break for pity's sake. I'm 7 mos. out, 53 lbs. down and at a weight & size I've not seen in 30 years!! This has not come in big chunks, it's been a pound here and a pound there...from the beginning! My first month was NOT my biggest loss...just slow and steady. Find something each day to be grateful for each day/week. It can be a NSV or not. OH, and don't compare your journey to others you read about on here!!!! There might be some similarities but it's still YOUR journey and there will be differences that are unique to you.

Sorry to be a bit harsh, but in the words of Cher in Moonstruck "Snap out of it!!" This is not a "sprint" to goal but a "marathon." Hugs and good luck. :-)

I may not be losing pound-wise but my clothes are baggy so something is happening! Yaaaaay! Hang in there!

I'm 8 months out and down 70 pounds. I went from a size 20 to a size 8. I thought I was going to die the first two days. Since then I have thanked God everyday for giving me this gift. It was a magic bullet. I would do it again and again! No regrets. Just keep the faith and don't give up. It will get easier and easier. The point of the surgery was to take away your craving for food and to reduce the amount of your food intake. I drank lots of Decaf ice tea with Splenda and GNC brand of Protein Shakes. And, Water popsicles. I eat anything I want now. Just small portions. And, I'm still losing. You will be fine. Imagine walking into The Gap and pulling on a pair of button fly cords in a size 8 with room to spare. It's all worth it. I promise!

Wow you look amazing!!

I don't regret it at all! 1. Blood pressure went from 170/100 to 100/70

2. Instead of feeling shortness of breath walking to the mailbox right in front of my house, I ran down the block and was not tired.

3. From a size 24 to a size 10. No more Lane Bryant! Yay

4. I'm Happy

5. Weight was 267 now 172lbs I would do it over again!

Edited by Ballermom

My daughter cried when she came home Christmas Eve. I am 40 lbs. lighter since I saw her last. She said I am smiling and happy again, not waiting to die and being unhappy all the time, and worrying my husband was going to die. We have plans already since sleeving. Dear God, thank you for this surgery. I really appreciate this site, helping and being helped, and making friendships along the way.