Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody sleeved for other medical conditions besides obesity?

I was sleeved on the 20. I had about 5 different nurses during my hospital stay. Each and every one of them questioned me about how I was able to have the surgery, because I wasn't "fat". I don't know how I feel about this. Not everybody have the surgery because of extreme obesity. I have diabetes, sleep apnea, and hypertension. My BMI is 35. Obviously I did it for health reasons, but I feel extremely judged. It's one of the reasons why I haven't told anyone about the surgery (except for hubby of course). Anybody else have the surgery for their medical conditions?

I had diabetes, have high blood pressure, and high cholesterol and my BMI was 43. I made the decision to have the surgery based on the fact the road I was going down was a dark path for me, and now I'm on the right track. My T2 diabetes is gone, and I'm already reducing my meds for my blood pressure and I'm only 14 days post op. I still remember on my pre-op assessment weigh in, the nurse said to me "Wow, I didn't expect you to weigh that much, you carry it very well.". I didn't know if that was an insult or a compliment!

Either way, keep your head up, you're doing this for a healthier you...who cares what anyone else says!

Thanks for the encouragement jdub. I have type2 also and it has progressively gotten worse over the years. I went from taking oral medication, to insulin, to being on the pump. Of course there is a domino effect with diabetes. I gained weight which cost me to get hypertension and sleep apnea. I'm pretty tall, so I tended to carry the weight well too. I looked ok on the outside but my body was literally killing me from the insides out. I'm excited to hear you are no longer diabetic, I pray for this outcome also!

My BMI was 36 when I started this journey, but the only one who has asked me a question like the ones you've gotten was someone on this forum. It didn't bother me, especially when I saw on my questioner's profile that he/she started out at a much higher BMI.

Even though my weight was "only" 204 when I met my surgeon, he did not indicate any hesitation about my need for the surgery. My goal weight is 130, and I have tried many, many times to lose that 74 lbs.

While I am almost totally off my diabetes meds now, and I hope to be able to stop my BP med soon, my motivation for having the surgery was just as much to look better as it was to be more healthy. I want to be in a relationship again some day, and I'm convinced it won't happen until I'm at a "normal" weight. I know, it might not happen even then... but at least I'll have a chance then, and I don't think I have that now.

JeanZ, my doctor didnt hesitate either. He said I was a great candidate for the surgery. I also didn't have any trouble getting approved by my insurance company. I guess they could see that it would be smart for them too in the long run. My insulin pump alone was $6000.

I'm keeping my wls procedure to only letting hubby, my mom, 2 sisters only..people are so judgemental. I carry most of my weight in my hips & thigh. When I went for my upper gi, the technician asked me why I was having wls, when I'm not that big. My current weight is 239lbs, 5'4..painful knee & foot pain..thyroid conditions, which makes it extra difficult to loose weight. Definitely not telling coworkers about my plans or even some friends. Upper GI, results show I have a small hiatel hernia. That's what I will tell them when I'm approved for wls.

Don't worry too much about it, people tend to judge from outward appearances. A BMI of 35 is obese isn't it? I have a much higher BMI than you (would love your 35!!) yet you are actually a better candidate for the surgery than me because I have no co-morbidities like you. I do have a friend who is having "weight loss surgery" with a lower BMI than you and it is for severe digestive problems. To judge by just looking at her size, she definitely does not need it, but if you knew what she went through she really needs it. Also I have heard of people having a bypass for digestion issues and acid reflux.

JeanZ, my doctor didnt hesitate either. He said I was a great candidate for the surgery. I also didn't have any trouble getting approved by my insurance company. I guess they could see that it would be smart for them too in the long run. My insulin pump alone was $6000.

Looking at your profile picture I can see why someone would say that.. You don't look like an obese person. Most people will form opinions based solely on outward appearances.

Lol Laura Vern that pic is years old. Trust me, I am still considered "obese". My starting weight is 246. According to data, my weight should be 160.

I had my sleeve done for a totally different reason.

In 2011, I had my bladder removed because of bladder cancer. As a result (I catheterize thru my belly button into a newly built interior reservoir) I developed a huge hernia. I look ten months pregnant on one side. In order to fix the hernia, weight loss was suggested, to make the surgery less life-threatening. Bonus is that I'm off one insulin, my blood sugars are normal again, I've lost 31 pounds since November 20 and stopped three other meds. And as soon as I'm up to par physically again (April I hope?), I will have my hernia fixed!

Several people have told me I'm not "that big" and I don't even look over 200

ie: BFF, sleep doc staff, even pre op room tech the day of my surgery (lol) just to name a few

My aunt really pissed me off about my past and how at one point I was smaller than her -- yea no shit but that was 11 years ago and I have never managed to sustain my weightloss efforts -- I'm just sick and tired of the yoyo lifestyle

I started journey fluctuating between 240-60 and got to 237 day of surgery ... Now around 220, 11 days post op

Im actually in the ER now due to lightheaded-neas and fatigue, chills but I'm hoping all goes well

Carolina don't worry about what other people think. You've done something amazing and proactive to help your future health. Just the sleep apnoea alone is enough to warrant getting the procedure - that's so dangerous and debilitating. Here's to your new quality of life. I am 14 days post op and I have told my inner circle of friends and family. I am glad I told them. The people that really love and care for you will support you no matter what. Take care!

Search these forums for Low BMI and you will find a lot of others in a similar situation as you.

My BMI is just slight higher than yours and I've had those comments and honestly think they speak more to the growing obesity epidemic in this country. According to the BMI chart I was given by the NUT 30 is obese, by 35 we hit morbid obesity. It's called morbid because of the effect on health.

It's almost like the overweight range is our new normal.