Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Christmas time IS harder as a vet

I remember my first Christmas as a post op. It was 5 months out and nothing sweet perturbed me, in any way. It was so easy. I could sit around people, parties and xmas time food, yet utterly lack the desire to eat any food that was off " the plan." So easy I tell you.

Fast forward to this Xmas and it is a much different story. We host parties. That is who my wife is. It is so easy to grab a small piece of home made almond Roca, a home made this or a home made that. My desire for sugar and salt comes alive. Granted I only have eaten about 100 calories extra this weekend of Xmas part food (big party last night too), but I am quite surprised at what difference a year makes. I reached goal at 7 months, about 10 months ago. I have been able to eat my paleo friendly diet without too much effort since then, but, man, this Christmas has been so much harder as a vet.

I am sure come Monday things will be fine again, once back on the eating plan and back to the cross fit workouts (today is my rest day). I am going to need to be careful when tempted around holidays. It is not about weight gain (working out keeps me fit), but more about being disciplined, about being in control of my motivations and my goals. Things I should have responsibility over.

How has your Christmas time been? Do you get these holiday lapses? What are your strategies when you are around parties (either hosting or attending) and your vet mind starts tricking you :)?

Edited by Fiddleman

I'm of the mindset that if you're happy with your weight, then you can forgive yourself a little indulgence during these crazy times if you know you can jump right back on plan as soon as it's all over. But if it's gonna set you on a 3 week binge, or if you're gonna beat yourself up about it and feel awfully guilty, then better off filling up on Protein before the party and abstaining from the goodies. A little bit really does reignite the cravings for more.

Last year I was on a feeding tube and so I did not have any good stuff, not even a smell..this year my daughter made all her cookie gifts at my house and it all smelled divine...

I have not been really good at all....but! I plan on going back to the program Thursday...I will have to detox but it has been kinda nice to be here and not there with people I did not even know.....

So we are all kinda celebrating the fact that I am here this year..How do you fight that one eh...i am doing it by being careful, really careful!!!!!!!!

This is so true. I was a newbie (surgery 12/17/12) this time last year, so it was a breeze. I am struggling so bad this year. I am not losing weight (or gaining) but I am like 1 sugar cookie away from gaining. God damn, those things go down easy. UGH. Cannot wait until all of this shite is out of my house and I can start my Whole30. Maintenance is when the work really begins....

I'm glad I am not around all the Christmas goodies much. Today though, my friend gave me a plate and I ate some of her goodies. Did not agree with me at all and sent me running to the bathroom.

It is much more difficult as we get farther out because eating is so much easier and our appetites have come back. I can't afford to eat the goodies because now it's much harder to take off anything I put on after over indulging in junk food. It was the Christmas season last year that started my regain and it's taken me until now to get back to goal.

First year out, I was 7 months post-op and still losing. Last year, I had a 5 lb. bounce range, which I went over in January after a lot of holiday treats and drinks. This year, I reset my bounce range to 2 lbs., which I hit right around Thanksgiving. I've been keeping a much tighter rein. Not sure if I will be at goal (135) at Christmas, but I will be close. 136.2 today. It is tough. Honestly, my big fear is after the three year mark, which for me is next May.

I love that I have worn the same size for three holiday seasons, my holiday is much more about other things than food, and my energy level is through the roof.

Lynda

At goal and trying to figure out maintenance now - 14 months out. I have been okay - actually still losing but feeling a bit stressed, anxious, worried, overwhelmed and concerned about being able to maintain and being able to enjoy the holidays. Last year I had a sliver of cake and that was totally rewarding. This year I have had Cookies, candy, cake - smaller amounts that pre-surgery but it scares me and I am sad that I can't enjoy it without being guilty.

I have worked hard to get here and am afraid that I will lose control and gain it all back. Since I don't have any experience yet at maintaining I don't know how this is all going to affect me, but I have to say I want to get back to "normal" and be done with the holidays! Missing the gym today because of work doesn't help, either! Only made it two days last week and I should cut myself a break that this time of year is crazy but instead am beating myself up and obsessing that I will be exhausted at the gym and quit that too.

Not liking how I feel right now. Worrying, worrying.

but more about being disciplined, about being in control of my motivations and my goals. Things I should have responsibility over.

I call it dealing with my fat brain "Skippy"... and woe is to me when he is in control...

I am testing my plan.... eat some off plan stuff a few of the days of holiday.... 5:2 fast one or two days a week, and so far so good. Up two pounds over my high bounce a couple of days, at my high end of bounce the last couple of days, fasting tomorrow.... then I should be good until New Years day.... I make sure to write it all down in MFP and try and get in some walks. Today I was over plan by about 700 calories.... the most yet, but with the fast tomorrow, that should balance it out. Not burying or hiding my indulgences helps me to stay in the drivers seat... writing them down helps me to face the facts about my choices, and not get caught by surprise with an unexpected weight gain, or a run-on unconscious eating spree. I suspect I will have carb craving for a few days... but thats the price of eating some real sugar and such in higher quantities. I have enjoyed most of them.

Christmas dinner last night with relatives actually posed a fair amount of challenge for me. I was good and stuck with a small slice of ham and some veggies, but I wanted the croissants, the blue cheese au gratin, etc. and the dessert table was the worst of it. More then once I was tempted by the coconut cream pie, the banana cream pie, the Cookies, the chocolates, the frangos and on and on. There was quite a spread and coconut cream pie was one of my favorites pre sleeve. I was able to talk myself out of actually removing said food from the dessert table. It was hard! However, I feel better now that I walked through the valley of death and came out the other side. I hope that is the last of the Xmas food temptations for the season.

Came out the other end of Christmas dinner ok. I did not gain, am at the high end of goal bounce range and fasting today. I ended up eating a little less overboard than expected, and rather than being up by 16 pounds like I was at the holidays last year... I'm at goal. Thanks sleeve! Thanks 5:2, and thank you all for being such a good support system.

Yep, I am still at goal too. I did gain a lb yesterday but I was one lb below so I am still good, and I going to do my best to fast today, considering I have a house full of people.

I am so happy that all of my old clothes fit and I feel good in my clothes again.

Last year I was on a feeding tube and so I did not have any good stuff, not even a smell..this year my daughter made all her cookie gifts at my house and it all smelled divine... I have not been really good at all....but! I plan on going back to the program Thursday...I will have to detox but it has been kinda nice to be here and not there with people I did not even know..... So we are all kinda celebrating the fact that I am here this year..How do you fight that one eh...i am doing it by being careful, really careful!!!!!!!!

Oh, yes!!! Celebrate LIFE!!

Back on track this week and back in my range. It feels good to be beyond the parties, carbs and non stop eating. Next year, I am not going to do that again!! :)

Back on track this week and back in my range. It feels good to be beyond the parties, carbs and non stop eating. Next year, I am not going to do that again!! :)

Yep, those sugar Cookies and fudge and candy and.... Well, um. But no gain. yet. :)