Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quitting smoking before surgery, good or bad idea?

I want to quit smoking preferably to help the healing process with my band. Also obviously for health reasons because what would be the point of losing weight and getting healthy and then becoming sick from cigarettes? Anyway... Just wondering if it's a good idea beforehand (I want to quit like 2 weeks before) or is it going to amplify the food addiction I am also trying to kick?

I was told by my doc that I have to stop & not smoke for about 30 dats after surgery. If I can stop for 30, I should be able to stop for good. Good luck to you.

wow, that's alot to take on at once but if you can kick it, what a great advantage you will have.

I say do it now before all of the special diets. Quitting smoking will make you want to eat and that won't help when you're on a restricted diet. I'm a former smoker and I know how hard it is. You just gotta do it.

Do it! The pre-op diet will be cleansing -- drink lots and lots of Water and flush out those nasty chemicals. This is wonderful, the way you are choosing your health. Once you're banded you'll have a whole new life, one without nicotine and food addiction. Be fierce!

I haven't heard anything from my surgeon regarding a pre-op diet yet. I was only told that I need to go for bloodwork and fill out some papers that they are going to send to me. Hopefully they will say something about the pre-op diet there because it's only a month away

Doo iiitt! :D From a former smoker (Quit Day, May Day, 1994) it'll be the best thing you can do for yourself! Yes, it's hard. D*mned hard! I won't lie. It SUCKS. But here's the thing... The first three or four days are the toughest. That is your "nicotine detox" and once you are past that, the rest is behavior modification, learning to live your new normal and just shaking off the after effects and letting your body heal. That all takes time. You will have some unpleasant weeks. You will have cravings, but you can lump them in with dealing with your food cravings and battle them together. You will be b*tchy, again, be b*tchy for both, at the same time. Two for one. ;) You will have the physical stuff to deal with, the coughing out the gunk (super yukky, but once it's over, you will feel soooo much better, trust me) and so on but when that resolves, suddenly, you will discover the wonder of, OMG! I can breathe! I can smell things! I can taste things! Its kind of amazing. :D Totally worth it.

When I quit, One thing I did to help me get through my rough patch, to keep myself busy and to give me incentive not to "dirty up" my surroundings was to do a total detail of my home. I washed all of the clothes, bedding, curtains, towels... Everything. Fresh and clean. Loads and loads. I scrubbed down my walls until they were clean and fresh. (I probably could have painted, but scrubbing was cheaper!) I cleaned the broadloom and the ceilings. Washed my windows. I aired out my home and erased all traces of my former habit from my life. I had my husband have our car thoroughly detailed so that it was fresh and clean, too.

Once I decided to stop smoking, I decided that I was a non smoker and that was it. In the early days, If I got a craving, I reminded myself that I wasn't craving cigarettes because I am a non smoker. That doing that would kill me. That it is disgusting and I don't do that. I am now one of those completely obnoxious non smokers. I quit a long time ago and I have never slipped, and I am damned proud of that. Through some of my most stressful times. Darkest, most sorrow filled days, I have never, once been tempted to pick it back up. And so glad, as there is enough in life that can kill us, I am determined not to add one more thing to the pile! LOL

Look, I'm not trying to brag or lecture, here. I'm just trying to share what I've been through, what worked for me and how I succeeded in quitting a habit that I honestly thought, for a while was going to haunt me for my entire life. You can quit smoking, you need to want it. Just like you want this band. If you want both, you can do both! You have the strength, the will, the guts to do it! I know you do. It isn't easy but the rewards are so gold.

I want to throw my two cents in. I smoked until I was six months post op and I wish I would have quit before because I lost 70lbs post op and quit smoking six months out and then had a stall for an entire year with no weight loss. My lungs are happy I quit smoking but if you decide to do it after surgery it will make your weight loss harder and you might even gain. Just my suggestion.

Quitting smoking is just a good idea period. I did cold turkey when I learned I was pregnant. I was a 20 yr smoker at 1 1/2 packs a day. If I can do that you can. It is in the mind. Make a list of why you hate smoking and use that as your reasioning to yourself. I know you can do it! No better time than NOW :-)

And oh yeah, since I smoked 19 years, I say this in the most loving way.... you stink. You stink. You stink. You stink. You don't notice, but everyone else does. I didn't really even quit for my health. I quit because it's nasty stinky habit.

I went cold turkey on New Years eve 23:40 (military time) 1984. It was the best thing, my husband joined me! I don't know how hard it will be to quit during your pre-op, or post-op. But the sooner you quit, the better for your health, healing, etc... Plus many hospitals don't allow smoking on their grounds. Best wishes. Good luck in the upcoming New Year! Karen..aka..kll724

Thank you everyone. Lol I do know that I stink because I HATE the smell of cigarettes. I have quit before. Last time I quit for 7 months when I was pregnant but when my son passed away and was born sleeping, it's the only thing I have held onto to help me cope. It's time to find a better way to do it. I need to mentally prepare. And Karen, yes I know the dont allow smoking on hospital grounds. I actually work at the hospital I am having the procedure at. My school doesn't allow it either so really, if I can go a whole 8 hour shift without smoking and then to school and not smoke there for 4 hours. I think I just need to commit to it. All I really want to know is if it'll be tougher on my weight loss if I do it at the same time. I will commit to quit January 2nd! I've set a date and you my friends are my witnesses!

You go girl!!

Wendy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs your way. And now these are exciting times in your life, choosing health and happiness. I have found the band to be so empowering. Best wishes to you -- glad you're here on the forum!

Same here Wendy. I can't even imagine your pain and suffering. My sympathies to you. As Bandista says, this is an exciting time for you and you are right on the cusp of finding a healthier you. It's wonderful so embrace it all my dear.