Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

frankly i am pretty tuckered of repeating the same thing day in and out

does anyone listen to the dr or nutritionist about what to expect before and after surgery??? what to eat or not eat? pain?

seems on this forum there are people who say whatever it seems to their drs to get surgery (yes i will exercise/eat better etc)

but not willing to change a damn thing to help it...or themselves...but expect a quick/overnight fix..

and then post over and over, i cheated, should i call the dr, i lost 10 pounds this month and discouraged its not more.

no wonder people leave......dammit

I wonder sometimes if people actually read anything before they ask questions....you can spend an hour, read 100 posts and hear everything that needs to be said....take that and filter it through your Dr.'s directions, and there it is....

There are posts where all I have to do is read the title and I think..."Oh boy....here we go again"

I will not open and read it because I already know where it is heading....

However....bottom line...there are a lot of NEW people everyday, and it's important for them to know that there are people out there who are perfectly happy with this surgery, never experienced any major problems, no longer struggling, and have met all their goals and expectations.......letting them know they did not make the biggest MISTAKE of their life, but perhaps the BEST DECISION of their life......

Edited by B-52

kll724, on 21 Dec 2013 - 19:11, said:

I agree with both you, cg and cheryl! But I am glad to host, at least I feel with "host" they think our opinions matter, a little! Haha! We are all just learners in a world where there are few experts! Well ladies, stay or go, I love reading you both! You too B-52, & catfish!Karen..aka..kll724

karen, i am going no where.......let me make that clear......i (need) this forum

for friendship and something to hold myself accountable

i cant talk the talk without me walking.......albeit in 6 inch heels

I've been thinking about this thread today -- a busy kind of day shopping, cleaning, errands, etc. Of course people should do what's best for them. Like some others here, I've never participated in an on-lime forum before. This is my first experience posting and it is all so personal -- we are sharing in the process of recovering from food addiction, body issues, etc., etc. I have felt free to post here -- to comment and offer help wherever possible. It helps me to do that. It makes me feel good to reach out and also to know I'm not alone. Every inch of the way, however, I have had to fight those feelings off not belonging or that I am taking up too much room, that I'm too big....but I've out those thoughts aside thinking this is the one place where I can be sure that's not true, that I do belong. That I'm welcome. But people are people and I may be wrong. I may be one of those who are resented for too much posting or for whatever by Veterans. I may have missed giving enough credit to those who have helped me so much in the last six months. I hope that is not true but now I'm questioning how "out there" I have let myself be here. There is probably protocol and pecking order that I don't really understand. If I have offended any one or not paid appropriate homage I sincerely regret that as each and every post -- even the bad ones -- have helped me I'm some way. Sometimes it is just a post that gives me a chance to reiterate what I know is right or maybe there is new information or perhaps I can see right through to some one's inability to give up something, etc. It's all of value. And last June when I started reading as many posts as possible, asking questions and getting ready for my surgery (November) I began to feel like I really wasn't alone with my struggles. I got so much help and I'm very grateful for that. Now I try to offer assistance if I can -- even just a word of encouragement -- because it helps me keep connected to my own decision for health and happiness. I think I will continue to do that as long as it's working and I hope I do t step on any toes along the way.

i have been told i post too much, too stern (and mean and also called a bully and know it all)

but i am here...just like you....this forum helps us........and heck, we may help one person who needs it

and that is good enough 4 me

((hugs bandy))

I've been thinking about this thread today -- a busy kind of day shopping, cleaning, errands, etc. Of course people should do what's best for them. Like some others here, I've never participated in an on-lime forum before. This is my first experience posting and it is all so personal -- we are sharing in the process of recovering from food addiction, body issues, etc., etc. I have felt free to post here -- to comment and offer help wherever possible. It helps me to do that. It makes me feel good to reach out and also to know I'm not alone. Every inch of the way, however, I have had to fight those feelings off not belonging or that I am taking up too much room, that I'm too big....but I've out those thoughts aside thinking this is the one place where I can be sure that's not true, that I do belong. That I'm welcome. But people are people and I may be wrong. I may be one of those who are resented for too much posting or for whatever by Veterans. I may have missed giving enough credit to those who have helped me so much in the last six months. I hope that is not true but now I'm questioning how "out there" I have let myself be here. There is probably protocol and pecking order that I don't really understand. If I have offended any one or not paid appropriate homage I sincerely regret that as each and every post -- even the bad ones -- have helped me I'm some way. Sometimes it is just a post that gives me a chance to reiterate what I know is right or maybe there is new information or perhaps I can see right through to some one's inability to give up something, etc. It's all of value. And last June when I started reading as many posts as possible, asking questions and getting ready for my surgery (November) I began to feel like I really wasn't alone with my struggles. I got so much help and I'm very grateful for that. Now I try to offer assistance if I can -- even just a word of encouragement -- because it helps me keep connected to my own decision for health and happiness. I think I will continue to do that as long as it's working and I hope I do t step on any toes along the way.

If you're using your phone app, like I do, it doesn't make it so easy to go through and find past topics and frankly sometimes you want the fresh perspectives. My doctor said bands of today allow for different things from bands of prior years. Which is why he doesn't foresee problems with drinking while eating, etc. So sometimes answers from previous posts don't answer questions. So I am can understand why it could be frustrating to you all, "the veterans"; but I would hope you would understand us newbies are navigating a whole new world. And perhaps, asking some of the same questions, making some of the same mistakes, and working through some of the same emotions, daresay, that you all went through.

If I post something that seems annoying to you, then please feel free to roll your eyes and move on. If you would like to share some constructive advice, then please know I truly appreciate that help.

Well I would have to believe that I have had this thing in my gut long enough to tell people what they are doing right or wrong. No I am not here for a popularity contest because I don't need affirmation from anyone about me. I do not purposely step on peoples toes but sometimes you just have to look and say why would you even post that. Your eating Cookies the day after surgery. Really and you want to know if you hurt your band. I worked hard for what I got and it wasn't eating cookies. I really think people either like to get your hair raised on your neck to see how many people will fight or that they really are that stupid to eat cookies a day post op. The other thing that really bugs me is the people that really don't know what to eat after surgery. Why on earth would you have something implanted in your stomach and not know what to do with it. If I have to tell you what to eat after surgery then you need to pay me what you gave your doctors. I am here to support only not give free advice what you are suppose to be eating. Anything like that should come from your doctors not us. No two doctors are the same or give the same plans. I hate when people have pain and ask what to do about it. Anything that isn't normal should not be asked here. Call your doctors they are getting paid to be on call 24 hours 7 days a week. "oh but I don't want to bother him" Well how about you bother him because you want us to give you for free what he would charge you to do. Come on now sometimes things are just plain ridiculous that people post and those who are veterans know it is true. So now that I have vented my frustrations I will go play candy crush. Peace and love for the holidays and its not about eating anymore its about enjoying time with the people you love. Don't come on here the day after Christmas and say you ate a whole pie did you screw up your band because if you don't know the answer to that then neither do I. I was not trying to step on any bodies toes but these are the reasons we don't come her very much. The same questions that are asked every day can be found in the forum 10,000 times if you just put it in the search at the top you will find it.

Edited by cheryl2586

If you're using your phone app, like I do, it doesn't make it so easy to go through and find past topics and frankly sometimes you want the fresh perspectives. My doctor said bands of today allow for different things from bands of prior years. Which is why he doesn't foresee problems with drinking while eating, etc. So sometimes answers from previous posts don't answer questions. So I am can understand why it could be frustrating to you all, "the veterans"; but I would hope you would understand us newbies are navigating a whole new world. And perhaps, asking some of the same questions, making some of the same mistakes, and working through some of the same emotions, daresay, that you all went through.

If I post something that seems annoying to you, then please feel free to roll your eyes and move on. If you would like to share some constructive advice, then please know I truly appreciate that help.

I hear ya! I'm on my kindle app now and navigating old threads is nearly impossible!! This vet will be here till they kick me off.

I don't post as much as I did in the past but I do seek out the frustrated bandsters.

Tmf

I can respect your opinion Cheryl, although I do disagree with you. I do think a forum like this can be used to talk about things like pain, etc and to get perspective from people who have actually had the procedure. Though surgeons are obviously educated they, most likely, never had this surgery. So they may not have tips and tricks that people here have. For example, I saw one thread for dealing with gas pain that discussed a yoga pose that was helping people deal with the gas pain. No ones surgeon knew that would help. That was discovered through talking to people in the same boat as you and someone figured out something that was helping others. To me, that is what this is all about.

Yes it was a newly started thread that discussed that topic and it had a lot of activity. I get that this is a hot button issue for some of you. For me I see the value Ina new thread, but I believe forums allow for the ability to agree to disagree. That's part of the beauty.

If you ever feel like someone is seeking advice that they should be paying for... Then I hope you exercise your right to move along. In my opinion, people aren't trying to use veterans in place of doctors.. It's more about talking to people with practical experience, who may have something to offer that a doctor doesn't.

I can also assure you that I will not be eating an entire pie at Christmas and seeking your input about it. I've actually never had poor eating habits, so it's also not about changing the way I eat. My weight gain was due to a medication that I took for many years. I have always eaten healthily and made wise choices since I was a young child, as that's how I was raised. I was finally able to get off the medication and my doctor recommended this path for me. With that said though, people are human. They are going to make mistakes, and sometimes they are going to come here to talk about them. I'm sure there will be a time that I will put something in my mouth that I shouldn't have and I might go here to seek support from the only people who will really understand the torture that goes along with such a decision.

I suppose why I commented I this thread is because I felt like there were comments intimating that newbies just didn't know how to play here correctly. I was hoping to remind everyone that all were newbies at one point in time. Perhaps my attempt failed or wasn't appreciated. Either way, I'm going to continue to post and be a part if this community even if the way I participate is frowned upon.

i started this thread.......to ask those considering leaving.not too

i need the support as do many others......

glad to hear your not going no where tmf...as if you did, who would get put on a time out??

what bothers me is those who do the opposite of what their dr advises and then are concerned if they did wrong...if one thinks it is wrong, it probably is..

let us all do the best we can with whatever weightloss surgery has

and adhere to what we all must do when using it for best results

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠
cant spell for sh**it apparently

what bothers me is those who do the opposite of what their dr advises and then are concerned if they did wrong...if one thinks it is wrong, it probably is..

Maybe its a matter of trust. Of course you trust your dr for care of you and the band but others before you have been through this and have found answers to questions that maybe we haven't even thought about. Since we're here to help one another asking questions that is serious enough to call your dr should just be commented call your dr. Some newbies have more trust in those who have experienced the same things they are going through and there's so many different opinions that couldn't come from a dr only an experienced bander.

My first month I did call my doctor for things that didn't feel quite right but got more and better advice from youall. Having this thread or threads like it gives a feeling of trust like talking the same language to a friend. So I vote this thread is a newbie friendly group. And possibly someday we won't be abke to give the same old advice since everything changes even the band. But I say help those who ask if you can. Otherwise we're here for our own agenda.

yes mam :)

Maybe its a matter of trust. Of course you trust your dr for care of you and the band but others before you have been through this and have found answers to questions that maybe we haven't even thought about. Since we're here to help one another asking questions that is serious enough to call your dr should just be commented call your dr. Some newbies have more trust in those who have experienced the same things they are going through and there's so many different opinions that couldn't come from a dr only an experienced bander.
My first month I did call my doctor for things that didn't feel quite right but got more and better advice from youall. Having this thread or threads like it gives a feeling of trust like talking the same language to a friend. So I vote this thread is a newbie friendly group. And possibly someday we won't be abke to give the same old advice since everything changes even the band. But I say help those who ask if you can. Otherwise we're here for our own agenda.

I can respect your opinion Cheryl, although I do disagree with you. I do think a forum like this can be used to talk about things like pain, etc and to get perspective from people who have actually had the procedure. Though surgeons are obviously educated they, most likely, never had this surgery. So they may not have tips and tricks that people here have. For example, I saw one thread for dealing with gas pain that discussed a yoga pose that was helping people deal with the gas pain. No ones surgeon knew that would help. That was discovered through talking to people in the same boat as you and someone figured out something that was helping others. To me, that is what this is all about.

Yes it was a newly started thread that discussed that topic and it had a lot of activity. I get that this is a hot button issue for some of you. For me I see the value Ina new thread, but I believe forums allow for the ability to agree to disagree. That's part of the beauty.

If you ever feel like someone is seeking advice that they should be paying for... Then I hope you exercise your right to move along. In my opinion, people aren't trying to use veterans in place of doctors.. It's more about talking to people with practical experience, who may have something to offer that a doctor doesn't. You took everything I wrote the wrong way. As far as the pie that was a joke. You see you got all disgruntled about the things I wrote for no reason. You don't now me or how I am but to others and veterans they would have laughed at what I wrote not bitch me out because you for one don't know me and for two you just misconstrued what my whole post was about. You took the information and made it fit you. That is why I don't come here much because people like you take information way out of context just to start a downward spiral and then the attacking begins. God bless you all and I hope you really get what you need because I do NOT NEED this one bit.

I can also assure you that I will not be eating an entire pie at Christmas and seeking your input about it. I've actually never had poor eating habits, so it's also not about changing the way I eat. My weight gain was due to a medication that I took for many years. I have always eaten healthily and made wise choices since I was a young child, as that's how I was raised. I was finally able to get off the medication and my doctor recommended this path for me. With that said though, people are human. They are going to make mistakes, and sometimes they are going to come here to talk about them. I'm sure there will be a time that I will put something in my mouth that I shouldn't have and I might go here to seek support from the only people who will really understand the torture that goes along with such a decision.

I suppose why I commented I this thread is because I felt like there were comments intimating that newbies just didn't know how to play here correctly. I was hoping to remind everyone that all were newbies at one point in time. Perhaps my attempt failed or wasn't appreciated. Either way, I'm going to continue to post and be a part if this community even if the way I participate is frowned upon.

I am not talking about gas pain I am talking about people having chest pain, leg pain, pain that is dangerous and should not be taken lightly. Now do you really think I meant no one should ask what to do for gas pain. You see that is exactly why people should ask what did you mean by that because you totally took what I wrote out of context and made it what you thought I was talking about.

Edited by cheryl2586

If you ever feel like someone is seeking advice that they should be paying for... Then I hope you exercise your right to move along. In my opinion, people aren't trying to use veterans in place of doctors.. It's more about talking to people with practical experience, who may have something to offer that a doctor doesn't.

It's not the new people...those poor people are the victims and probably get more confused than helped.... it's them I wouldn't blame for leaving....

I've said it before, I was glad I did not discover this website until AFTER I had my surgery....because until then it was just me and my Dr. and his staff....and I was told I could call and speak with someone if I had a question...which I did...

Why not start a thread or folder for the vets to hang out and discuss their progress, questions, etc. just for those already banded? Those vets that wish to participate in the newbie threads can do so, and those that don't....don't. If this place was just for newbies it would not be very successful!