Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op jitters...

Hi everyone! I have my banding on the 28th, so I'm at the tail end of things here. haha.

I'm kind of nervous about the post-op pain from reading some people's experiences, but I'm trying to hold up the best I can. I'm not having second thoughts, but I think that I'm just scared about the whole process. I know I'm just being a baby, but I can't help it. No matter what, though, I'm going to go through with it. I just worry that I'm going to do something to screw it up, even though I'm going to follow everything to the letter. I'm also worried about not being able to take the hunger...:faint:I don't know...

I'm sorry for the rant, I just needed to tell someone and because I don't have anyone around me that would listen. :)

I was scared too, to the point I wanted to leave the hospital the day of surgery ! I can laugh now but it wasn't funny then, I didn't have that much pain, more just uncomfortable, I was ready to go home. The next few days you are sore , she is totally right, and the gas pain in my shoulder was rough but walking around helped alot. But it was all worth it, it isn't gonna be easy but if you want to change your life, it is worth it.

Most people are very apprehensive prior to surgery. I was told once that it is due to the fact that we are losing control of ourselves when we undergo anesthesia. Some are afraid they will never wake up. When in fact, that is the easiest sleep to be woken from, as they do have drugs to revesrse the effects of anesthesia if needed. Also, it is a very controlled environment, one in which all vital signs are monitored, and the ariway is kept very patent.

Most people never die during an operation, the ones most likely to, are the ones with a pre-existing condition, such as a very bad heart, that can not take the stress of surgery.

Hi everyone! I have my banding on the 28th, so I'm at the tail end of things here. haha.

I'm kind of nervous about the post-op pain from reading some people's experiences, but I'm trying to hold up the best I can. I'm not having second thoughts, but I think that I'm just scared about the whole process. I know I'm just being a baby, but I can't help it. No matter what, though, I'm going to go through with it. I just worry that I'm going to do something to screw it up, even though I'm going to follow everything to the letter. I'm also worried about not being able to take the hunger...:faint:I don't know...

I'm sorry for the rant, I just needed to tell someone and because I don't have anyone around me that would listen. :)

Hi,

Just wanted to add my voice to the others telling you that you are not alone. My surgery date is 3 days away, March 20, and I am bouncing off the walls. It is so difficult to concentrate on anything, like work, for example (which is what I should be doing now, instead of being on these boards :nervous) . The only things I have found that help are trying to concentrate on positives. I am lucky, there is a bandster support group in my area and I went Thursday night. It is a small group, but 2 of them were banded in Mexcio, as I am going to be, and they were very reassuring. Everyone but me is already banded and the lowest weight loss was 58 pounds! I still have fears, about the surgery, about going to Mexico to have it done, about the $$$$$, that it won't work for me, worried about complications.....but I am forcing myself to think of the positives.....hopefully my type 2 diabetes will go into remission and I can lose a bunch of the meds I am currently taking. And, yes, looking and feeling better and smaller size clothing. Already with the preop diet I have gotten in jeans I wasn't able to button a few weeks ago, and yesterday I tried on another smaller pair of jeans, and although I could not possibly go out in them yet because they were so tight, I actually did get them buttoned and zipped (I couldn't breathe, but I will be able to after another 10 or so pounds:llama: :) ) . That helped my jitters alot. Somewhere, another person with an upcoming surgery posted about being restless and asking for advice what to do about it.....I never saw any suggestions, but if anyone has any, it would certainly help. Right now, I am obsessed with reading these boards (the positive ones, I try to stay away from the negative ones right now, just before surgery). So, that's my 2 cents. I know it is normal to be nervous just before the surgery, but it isn't much fun. Maybe we could try "holding" our sweaty palms together??? :phanvan

P.S. The dancing llama is for our wonderful boy llama, Chip.

I didn't have a lot of pain when I came home, in fact my DH went to work and I took care of myself. I did a lot of walking and that is the most important thing you can do. The more you move around the faster you feel better. It's only normal to go through all the things you are going through, try to keep busy and read everything you can about it. Good luck and let us know how you did when you get a chance.

The kind of pain I had was less than stubbing your toe. I mean have you ever kicked your shin? Well you got through that too! Everyone feels pain differently and different methods are needed for everyone.

Try not to find yourself in these post. Your surgical experience will be all your own. Probably somewhere in the middle of what you will find on this board.

One thing I would encourage you to do is to look beyond the surgery in your mind. The next day when you are home will be such a joy, that well, I did it. I DID it, I did IT!! Then the third or fourth day there comes the withdrawal of the anesthesia, some even feel it as a depression. As long as you know what might lay ahead, you wont be hit by the curve ball. You will find that over time, this is the sanest, most kind thing you could do for yourself. This is what I believe!

You are so normal...I was seriously freaked out before my surgery..apart from having a baby...I had never had any kind of operation before...the pain was bad sure....but with each kilo I have lost since...I tell you the pain was sooooo... worth it...You will do great girl. the kilo's lost will be ALL the motivation you need to keep on going...

:eek: becky

It's 4AM and I am getting ready to catch the plane to San Diego. My day is finally here - tomorrow. All the good wishes/prayers/thoughts greatly appreciated. I will be back Thursday, will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the great support.

AMRDMR

You are so normal...I was seriously freaked out before my surgery..apart from having a baby...I had never had any kind of operation before...the pain was bad sure....but with each kilo I have lost since...I tell you the pain was sooooo... worth it...You will do great girl. the kilo's lost will be ALL the motivation you need to keep on going...

:( becky

*cough* I'm a guy *see avatar* *cough* :omg:

Man, I should really do something about that cough...:P

GOOD LUCK AMRDMR!!!!!!!

9 days!!!!!

I know it can be scary. I was afraid the day of surgery. More about other things. It happens so fast. I remember going in and the next thing I was trying to wave my hand around to get the nurse. It was so strange. If I didn't have a pain in my belly I wouldn't have known it happened. For me the pain was strange. It was a sharp feeling near my belly button. It was the port. I was so out of it I couldn't really speak. From the meds. I did however manage to wave my hand around to get the nurse. She asked if I was in pain. I grunted "yes". She gave me pain medication. Don't know what it was, and I didn't care. Right away I felt better. Mind you the pain wasn't that bad. I didn't want any pain. Anyway they gave me plenty of pain killers and I was fine by the time I headed home. In fact I slept the whole ride. Didn't feel a thing. It really isn't so bad. Nothing one can't handle. Atleast for me. It was worth all of the recovery. Once your home in your own bed you feel safe, ad comfortable. Well, the comfort of home atleast. I did take pain meds for 10 days or so. It really wasn't that bad. Everyone is different and has different experiences. For me coming on here and reading other peoples stories helped my nerves. I hope it does the same for you. I wish you the best of luck and a quick recovery.

Hi Neveragain, I was banded last June and I remember being totally devastated and worried that I was giving up food. YOu mentioned scared about being hungry. You may find before your fill you do have hunger, however it is very common to not be hungry at all. Because they place the band high on the stomach there are sensors at the top of the stomach that send the full message. Because you will have a smaller stomach you will find that meals last you longer. I can eat Breakfast sometimes as late as noon because I am not hungry. Best of luck to you. I love being banded.

Hey Neveragain,

I'm getting banded on the 28th too - and also worried about surgery as well as hunger/fullness issues. I also know I can't keep going down the path I'm on, so I'm determined to make this work.

Good luck to you, and I know you will do great!

Hi Everyone who has been supportive, I made it! My apprehension far outweighed the actual experience. The experience with Dr. Ortiz's staff and clinic was very positive and I felt well taken care of, more so even, than if I had stayed in an American hospital. They keep you overnight, but each patient has their own private room (wonderful) and only 3 patients, with a nurse and a doctor right there all the time. I felt pain at the port site when I first woke up from anesthesia, but they gave me pain meds and I went back to sleep. After that, when I woke up, I was sore, but not really in pain. They still kept up with the gas medication, pain medication, etc., until they send you back to the hotel for one more night. Homesickness was worse than the surgery. It was a long journey home (GOD, I thought we were going to be strip-searched at the border coming back into the States! or else have to walk across the border dragging our luggage! I advise you, really, really helps to have a passport, although they "accept" the driver's license, bring a valid passport if at all possible!) I was OK on the antiinflammatory pain med through the wait at the airport, plane ride home....the airporter bus ride it started wearing off, but I was met by my DH and was never so glad to see my humble abode in my life!

I am SOOOOO glad it is over and SOOOOO glad to be home. I've got the gurglies, but when I eat my chicken broth or now runny yogurt, I seem to fill up pretty fast. I was gratified that I lost 20 lbs pre-surgery, both on my own efforts and the preop diet and hope to see more soon, because Onederland is within reach! God, that will be a happy day. Dr. Ortiz seems to skip mushies, 3 weeks of liquids, first clear, then full, then solids. Also, for some odd reason, Jello (not that I crave Jello) is considered by his nutritionist to be a solid?????? Soup and yogurt is fine right now. Still have the liquid in, liquid out problem, but I am having no problems with small pills, thank God Imodium is one.

Thanks everyone on these boards for support, sharing, good thoughts and wishes, it really did help me get through to the other side. I am officially a bandster now.

AMRDMR

Hello AMRDNR how are you feeling now? And I am assuming this was last year since it is just March 5th here now. How much weight have you lost????? I have a lot to loose but I can do it!!!! I think I can..I think I can LOL

PS I just noticed your post date and see it was 2007!!!!!! I am very anxious to hear how you did now!