Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Study Issues--Looking for answers PLEASE!

Hi everyone-

Freaking out that my date will be pushed back because of this damn sleep study/apnea issue.

As part of my required pre op testing I did a sleep test. My insurance (BCBS) required that I do the at home study. I did the at home study and it showed I have moderate sleep apnea (I stop breathing 23 times an hour and my oxygen drops to 80%). So after the at home one, I had to do an in lab one with the Cpap machine so they would know what setting on the Cpap machine I would need. Well, I did the in lab one last night and didn't sleep the WHOLE ENTIRE time. I took 1 1/2 ambien, no luck. Then I took another 1/2. Still no luck. Therefore, they didn't get any sleep readings. So Monday I am supposed to go and get my cpap machine and they are supposed to tell me what setting to have it on. But since I didn't sleep are they going to make me do ANOTHER sleep study in lab? which is pointless because I can't sleep. The bed was the size of a gurney, hard mattress, wearing the cpap mask for the first time for a long amount of time. Do you know if there is anyway they can give me the CPAP machine with a general setting? This is the last thing holding me up from calling the surgeon and getting a date. I've waited SO long already. I'm more than willing to use the CPAP machine, I just don't want to have to wait another exorbidant amount of time to schedule the sleep study, etc etc.

Thanks guys! Any info would be helpful!

I am not an expert, but the setting is like your prescription. Now, as I lost weight the pressure was too much and I didn't want to do another study so I learned how to "adjust" my machine by researching online but you are not supposed to do that.

I liked to call it the "no sleep study" ha. What I hated was they made me do it a second time because I couldn't sleep on my back, and surgery and waking up you are on your back so they insisted I have at least some time on my back...grrrr... I had to be drugged to get any sleep in that place laying flat on my back.

Someone recommended I ask for the apap machine which adjusts to your apnea and sleep

Pattern. Which makes sense

I took 2 ambien and a Xanax and still couldn't sleep

I can completely empathize with you. I had to do both sleep studies in the hospital. What a joke -- they attach about 50 wires all over your body, practically tie you to the bed, then cover your face with an unfamiliar mask and then say "sweat dreams." I found out later that the whole thing can be at home and some insurance doesn't even allow the overnight in the hospital. All the new CPAP machines have an "auto" setting that measures the apnea's and adjust the pressure until they stop. I would really push back on this and demand that they go down this route for you. IMHO, this sleep study business is a bit of a racket. Not saying sleep apnea isn't serious and real, but they go about testing for it the most intrusive and expensive way. BTW, I was in the exact same situation -- I needed to get the sleep stuff done to get approved for the surgery. And to leave you with some inspiration, I'm three weeks out and a total of 30 pounds down and my apnea has basically disappeared -- no more waking up with headaches or dead tired! Good luck.

Thank you for that kind and informative response. I 100% agree with you in the whole racket aspect. I've never had to go to a doctor for so many consults!

The face mask last night was digging into my face and left a huge red mark which still isn't gone. Along with the soreness.

Just give me the damn machine and let me get moving forward!

Congrats! On your surgery and weight loss! I can't wait to be able to say the same thing!

The squeaky hinge gets oiled. Keep bugging them. You'll eventually find someone with sense, they are rare but they still exist.

Wife and I both had severe apnea. Both dumped it with WLS.

Warning, Warning, Warning - Hijack alert!!!!! :o

heyyyyyy gmanbat

is that really you???? :o

love your new pic :)

you even look more handsome than before (if thats possible ;) )

take care

kathy

ok, now back to our regularly scheduled program :rolleyes:

Edited by proudgrammy

I can't sleep. The bed was the size of a gurney, hard mattress

nancy

what a bummer about the mess you have to deal with the sleep center

only thing i can recommend, is what i did

i went to bed late the prior day, and got up early - making sure i was tired

worked for me!!!

having to sleep on a narrow bed, hard mattress - can't help you get to sleep :angry:

hope this gets solved sooner than later - and your DOS happenss soon too :)

good luck

sweet dreams :rolleyes:

kathy

I couldn't use the cpap machine, so they put me on a bipap which changes the air flow you can breathe in and out comfortably.

They're more expensive, but I love mine.

I used to work for a sleep center. Ask about a Bipap unit or ask them to do a Pap Nap Study. (You basically stay up the entire night prior and nap with the cpap on) They can get settings with as little as 2-3 hours of sleep so when a person says that they didn't sleep at all, many do sleep at least 2-3 hours. An in office test gives an more accurate picture of your sleep and the various stages of sleep compared to a home unit. Don't be shy to bring your own pillow or whatever you feel will make it more comfortable for you.

I used to work for a sleep center. Ask about a Bipap unit or ask them to do a Pap Nap Study. (You basically stay up the entire night prior and nap with the cpap on) They can get settings with as little as 2-3 hours of sleep so when a person says that they didn't sleep at all, many do sleep at least 2-3 hours. An in office test gives an more accurate picture of your sleep and the various stages of sleep compared to a home unit. Don't be shy to bring your own pillow or whatever you feel will make it more comfortable for you.

I have lost 93 pounds but unfortunately I'm one of those that my oxygen. Level drops too low. Still on bipap but a newer model. Trying to get a mask to fit better as my face is thinner. I will go back for a check up in a year!!

Lots of great responses! Maybe they can set at a 'middle range (5 or 6) and let you move forward.

BUT if you do have sleep apnea, it's GOOD to get it "treated"...

I have lost 93 pounds but unfortunately I'm one of those that my oxygen. Level drops too low. Still on bipap but a newer model. Trying to get a mask to fit better as my face is thinner. I will go back for a check up in a year!!

Unfortuantly for some people the sleep apnea doesn't go away with weight loss. Overall most people seem to be happier on a Bipap.