Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop Diet is Not Something to be Suffered Through

It is something to embrace!

I did not get to 295 pounds because I was a snacker. Cookies, chips, ice cream...while I did eat them, they weren't my problem. The way I became obese was calling my husband on the way home from work. What do you want for dinner tonight honey? Arby's. Mid-size BeefNCheddar Large Size combo meal with a Dr. Pepper, and Oh, yeah..throw in a 5 piece order of Jalepeno Bites. Don't forget the Broncoberry Sauce! And I would order the exact same thing for myself.

Then I would come home, plant my a.$$ on the couch and eat every last bite. Then, maybe a pint of Ben and Jerry's chocolate Chip Cookie Dough while laying in bed watching Dexter before I went to sleep.< /p>

So, like all of the newbies and the recently approved, I was apprehensive about the liquid preop diet. I was very lucky to have a husband (also very overweight) say he was going to do the diet with me. His words were, "If you can do it, I can."

I was relieved when I found out my preop diet did include some solids. 2 cups of raw veggies a day. 3 dairy products (1/2 cup cottage cheese, yogurt, sugar free pudding). 2 fruits.

Over the last 7 days, though, I have found that I don't even partake of all my "allowed" solids. I have found that a couple of Protein Shakes, the dairies, and 1 fruit are usually enough on top of some broth every now and then. Lots of Water. Only one drink of Diet Sweet Tea to get in my caffeine fix.

My husband, who has miraculously made it through with me, keeps saying how great he feels. For me, it's more about how I don't feel like crap every day. I came home from a 12 hour shift yesterday, and instead of being completely depleted of all energy, I was just...tired.

I had this idea that the 7 day preop diet was going to be 7 days of total starvation. Yes, for the first 3 days, I had at least one moment every day that I thought my stomach was eating itself. Did I die? No. My mental mantra to get through it was, "Hunger is just a sensation. Like when someone touches your arm, or when your feet hurt after a long day at work. It is something that you can learn to live with. And if ignored, eventually just goes away."

The preop diet is a chance to prove to yourself that, YES! You can do this! This wasn't so hard. It didn't kill me. I CAN make the changes necessary to be a successful bandster! Embrace this time of pseudo-detoxification! Use this time to get yourself off the diet ASPARTAME infusions. Use it to say, I don't need a Bacon Egg and Cheese for Breakfast everyday. I'm O.K. I'm going to live! This is the start of something wonderful!

Surgery.....tomorrow at 0730!

Lots of luck to you. You will be awesome.

Hello everyone,I'm new to the site,I have had the sleeve and I agree with you in every way,this is nothing to be suffered through this is a life changing experience,we didn't get here over night this took a life time and it's going to take the rest of our life to correct it,I am currently considering the gastric bypass because I feel like I failed myself with the sleeve but I know I didn't ,I just let my self down and now I have to pick my self up,I had a major let down in my life,I had to have spinal surgery and I've been out of work for 2 year,I had one year to recover from my spinal surgery and my sleeve gastrectomy at the same time now I am suffering from back pain all the time I can't get out like I want to so now I have to retrain my self in a new way of life all over again so I am considering getting the gastric bypass,I love sweets and i can still eat them with the sleeve,I know I can't eat them with the gastric bypass so I am considering getting this done if my insurance approves it ,If your gonna get the sleeve done I would recommend the gastric bypass because I started regaining my weight and that's the last thing I want to do,so if your gonna go 1/2 way why not go all the way!

Hello everyone,I'm new to the site,I have had the sleeve and I agree with you in every way,this is nothing to be suffered through this is a life changing experience,we didn't get here over night this took a life time and it's going to take the rest of our life to correct it,I am currently considering the gastric bypass because I feel like I failed myself with the sleeve but I know I didn't ,I just let my self down and now I have to pick my self up,I had a major let down in my life,I had to have spinal surgery and I've been out of work for 2 year,I had one year to recover from my spinal surgery and my sleeve gastrectomy at the same time now I am suffering from back pain all the time I can't get out like I want to so now I have to retrain my self in a new way of life all over again so I am considering getting the gastric bypass,I love sweets and i can still eat them with the sleeve,I know I can't eat them with the gastric bypass so I am considering getting this done if my insurance approves it ,If your gonna get the sleeve done I would recommend the gastric bypass because I started regaining my weight and that's the last thing I want to do,so if your gonna go 1/2 way why not go all the way!

Haha, great post! I embraced it too. Funny, my husband did the liquid diet with me too :). Good luck with your surgery!

Camille, sorry to hear you've had such a hard time. Life can definitely set you back. Just start with the next meal. Keep the sweets out of the house. You can do it.

Why can you not eat sweets with bypass? It doesn't seem it would be any different.

I think its because with sweets and the bypass you tend to get dumping syndrome. We don't suffer that with the lapband.

I wish you luck, I am scheduled at 7:30 on the 19th! So I will be right here with you on this journey!

For me this 10 day liquid diet is awful, what I would do for something to chew on! Lol

try to focus on something beside eating. You'll get through it. Afterwards you are likely to have the same type of diet for awhile so sorta get use to it.

Leepers, with your attitude, you will make a great success of your new band and life..Best wishes for a great surgery and healing. Remember to sip your fluids, and walk as much as you can tolerate!! Karen...aka..kll724