Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rules for drinking with meals

My surgeons office didn't set any parameters against drinking immediately before/post or during meals, but I see so any of you mention that you don't drink with meals and it seems to be per doctors orders. I'm wondering what the reasoning is, and if it's something I should consider incorporating into my routine.

Thank you!

I will drink right up to I start to eat....once I start eating, I CANNOT drink anything unless I want it to all come right back up....I have learned the hard way....

Once I'm done eating, I gave to wait until I know it's safe....a little sip here and there and heed feedback from the band.....I have drank 20 minutes after eating and got into trouble....but it varies depending on what I ate, I guess....

Some people are afraid of washing food down....that is not the case with me...it must have something to do with how much restriction you have, I guess.

My surgeon explained that, because of surgery, I am unable to process the nutrients that I was able to before the surgery. ( The purpose of the surgery, right?) So, when we do eat we need to have the small amount of food we eat digested for survival. liquids compete for space for the food we need. Liquids wash out the food too quickly. Liquids bad :-) at least around and during eating.

Sorry for this poorly written answer. My surgeon says for the rest of my life... No drinking 1/2 hour before eating, during meals, and 1/2 to 3/4 hour after. Good luck!

You'll get a very wide array of answers on this.

The old way of thinking was that drinking during meals or too soon after meals would wash the food through the band too quickly. Studies now show this isn't true because food shouldn't sit above the band for more than a minute. In fact, food that does sit above the band puts you at risk for erosion.

Now, in light of recent studies, a lot doctors are saying sipping between bites is ok so long as you wait a minute so the food fully passes before pouring down Water. And, sipping, not gulping.

As always, it's best to do what your own surgeon recommends (if they recommend anything at all).

I will be receiving the Lap Band brand device. The booklet from the company that was given to me says to not drink for 30 minutes before eating and an hour after eating. My surgeon pretty much goes along with this. I trust the makers of the device as the company has spent millions of dollars developing and testing the device for it to work. A good suggestion would be to google your brand of band and see what rules it's website recommends and then consult with your surgeon. Not drinking while eating does not seem to ever be a bad thing, whereas drinking during meals seems to have some possibly adverse effects that may affect keeping food down and/or weight loss.

I will be receiving the Lap Band brand device. The booklet from the company that was given to me says to not drink for 30 minutes before eating and an hour after eating. My surgeon pretty much goes along with this. I trust the makers of the device as the company has spent millions of dollars developing and testing the device for it to work. A good suggestion would be to google your brand of band and see what rules it's website recommends and then consult with your surgeon. Not drinking while eating does not seem to ever be a bad thing, whereas drinking during meals seems to have some possibly adverse effects that may affect keeping food down and/or weight loss.

my doctor is pretty much the same as yours. I was also told never use a straw again but I have seen many people at my support groups with them. Each to their own but it's the same doctor.

For the lap band, think of your pouch/band as a funnel....you can pour liquids into the funnel and it will go right thru with no problem providing you don't pour too much too fast....otherwise it will overflow...I've had it happen on Water alone.....

Now, think about food passing through the funnel....a lot slower, also blocking the narrow passage.....add Water on top of that and it's not pretty....

Dr.s say an hour? I've never waited that long for all to pass, but I've had food come back up over 1/2 hour if I drink too soon....

my dr told me i can drink right up to eating.....and thet prefer me not to drink during my 20 min eat time

and then wait 20 to 30 min.....thhis is what i do/have done.....no issues

i asked the dr once and he said to drink helps it slide on through....hub also says that as he drinks

after every bite....he said to make room for more :)

i say ask your dr and do what he/she advises

then follow

Thanks to the veterans who answered, I always appreciate the insight of someone who has been down the path. My doctor says I can drink with meals, so not drinking wouldn't be against his orders. It's my decision, if I want to drink with a meal or not. I was just curious why so many didn't drink with meals and the reasonings behind their doctors orders.

Of course if my doctor, had said no drinking I would stick with that and would never rely on forum posts as a reason to go against against doctors orders.

i cannot eat with a lot of Fluid in my pouch it makes me pb right away. what i do is not drink while i am preparing my meal. no drinking during the meal and i wait at least 15min's to do a test sip after a meal. i cannot tolerate fluids with food. but that is me and you will find what works for you the best.

I usually wait about 30-40 minutes after eating to drink any fluids. If I going to get a stuck feeling it is usually at Breakfast.

Best wishes

I learned the hard way. I always had drink and eat seperately after surgery. I was out with friends last week at a resturant eating brunch. I had started gulping down my Water after a couple bites of Breakfast and i could not move fast enough to get to the bathroom. I had a stuck feeling and felt like i could not breathe. I stood up and turned around and everything came up everywhere.. Total embarrasement.. My advice is stick to what the doctor says.. No eating and drinking at the same time.You dont want to find out like I did.

At first, I wasn't drinking with meals because there just wasn't enough room for the food and Water. Plus, drinking with meals is supposed to wash the food out of your stomach faster - so you get hungry again sooner. Now it's just a habit. I normally take sips - just enough to wet my tongue during a meal if I need them.

OK let me be the contrarian here! I go by Dr O'brien's rules. I sip about one minute after a bite. The food has already passed through the stoma by then so no wash-out occurs. I don't sip after every bite or every meal but if I have a glass of wine I do sip.

tmf

The general views on drinking have changed radically over the last year or so. I highly recommend following your surgeons guidelines! That being said, I personally drink before, during and after most meals. I don't drink large amounts. I always sip and never gulp. I normally consume 0 calorie drinks, such as Water or tea. Studies have shown that solid meals are more satisfying in both Gastric Banded and non-Gastric Banded individuals. However, a solid meal with accompanying Water did not alter meal satiety. You can read a previous post I made on this topic. I included a link to a study by (the very famous) Dr. John Dixon on this same topic at the end of my previous post. This study says it is not as important (liquid with meals) as was previously thought. Maybe some things work for some people, and maybe less for others.

This study's results don't surprise me. What I wonder, though, is whether it really would change most surgeon recommendations about not drinking while eating. Drinking while eating can lead to stoma stretching (taking in more volume at once). Also, drinking while eating makes the meal less solid and therefore emptying faster through the band. The study finds that satiety doesn't change after an iso-caloric meal (so, e.g., three hours later the feeling of hunger might not be altered); but what about a real-life situation: during a meal that's not of pre-determined size? The person might eat more at the meal because she fills up slower if her food and water make her meal more liquid in the stoma and therefore pass through more quickly so the stoma doesn't fill up as fast. It's a bit confusing :)