Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rules for drinking with meals

OK let me be the contrarian here! I go by Dr O'brien's rules. I sip about one minute after a bite. The food has already passed through the stoma by then so no wash-out occurs. I don't sip after every bite or every meal but if I have a glass of wine I do sip.

tmf

Makes sense...IF you know for sure the food passes within that minute...depends upon how much restriction one has, etc....how does one know their food is passing at one minute???

I know for me, the food sits there before passing much, much longer ..as I'm sure it is different for everyone.....

I can take a little sip to "Test" it and know right away if there is still food there.

I have taken a drink 20 minutes after eating and had it come right back up, along WITH food, that has yet to fully empty out of my pouch....

The "Rules' I was taught very early on by my Dr., , was that everyone has to learn to "Listen" to their band, not the next persons.....because everyone reacts differently...and everyone is unique...getting to know one's band "Intimately", .so well that even a little sip of Water, a small bit of food, or whether or not you are hungry or not, is key to all this....

I also understand there are a lot of newly banded people out there that have no idea what I'm talking about.....and their bands are not even saying anything yet for them to listen to......but as you get fills..adjustments...it will if you "Listen"

It's 4am, I just took my first swallow of coffee...and my band said "Whoa, SLOW IT DOWN,,,EASY...." Remembering that this is the first thing I am swallowing this day, and always the tightest first thing. after waking.......

Alex Brecher, on 22 Dec 2013 - 02:40, said:

The general views on drinking have changed radically over the last year or so. I highly recommend following your surgeons guidelines! That being said, I personally drink before, during and after most meals. I don't drink large amounts. I always sip and never gulp. I normally consume 0 calorie drinks, such as Water or tea. Studies have shown that solid meals are more satisfying in both Gastric Banded and non-Gastric Banded individuals. However, a solid meal with accompanying Water did not alter meal satiety. You can read a previous post I made on this topic. I included a link to a study by (the very famous) Dr. John Dixon on this same topic at the end of my previous post. This study says it is not as important (liquid with meals) as was previously thought. Maybe some things work for some people, and maybe less for others.

This study's results don't surprise me. What I wonder, though, is whether it really would change most surgeon recommendations about not drinking while eating. Drinking while eating can lead to stoma stretching (taking in more volume at once). Also, drinking while eating makes the meal less solid and therefore emptying faster through the band. The study finds that satiety doesn't change after an iso-caloric meal (so, e.g., three hours later the feeling of hunger might not be altered); but what about a real-life situation: during a meal that's not of pre-determined size? The person might eat more at the meal because she fills up slower if her food and water make her meal more liquid in the stoma and therefore pass through more quickly so the stoma doesn't fill up as fast. It's a bit confusing :)

thanks alex for saying again to follow ones doctor.......

Alex Brecher, on 22 Dec 2013 - 02:40, said:

The general views on drinking have changed radically over the last year or so. I highly recommend following your surgeons guidelines! That being said, I personally drink before, during and after most meals. I don't drink large amounts. I always sip and never gulp. I normally consume 0 calorie drinks, such as Water or tea. Studies have shown that solid meals are more satisfying in both Gastric Banded and non-Gastric Banded individuals. However, a solid meal with accompanying Water did not alter meal satiety. You can read a previous post I made on this topic. I included a link to a study by (the very famous) Dr. John Dixon on this same topic at the end of my previous post. This study says it is not as important (liquid with meals) as was previously thought. Maybe some things work for some people, and maybe less for others.

This study's results don't surprise me. What I wonder, though, is whether it really would change most surgeon recommendations about not drinking while eating. Drinking while eating can lead to stoma stretching (taking in more volume at once). Also, drinking while eating makes the meal less solid and therefore emptying faster through the band. The study finds that satiety doesn't change after an iso-caloric meal (so, e.g., three hours later the feeling of hunger might not be altered); but what about a real-life situation: during a meal that's not of pre-determined size? The person might eat more at the meal because she fills up slower if her food and water make her meal more liquid in the stoma and therefore pass through more quickly so the stoma doesn't fill up as fast. It's a bit confusing :)

thanks alex for saying again to follow ones doctors guidleines

OK let me be the contrarian here! I go by Dr O'brien's rules. I sip about one minute after a bite. The food has already passed through the stoma by then so no wash-out occurs. I don't sip after every bite or every meal but if I have a glass of wine I do sip.

tmf

Makes sense...IF you know for sure the food passes within that minute...depends upon how much restriction one has, etc....how does one know their food is passing at one minute???

I know for me, the food sits there before passing much, much longer ..as I'm sure it is different for everyone.....

I can take a little sip to "Test" it and know right away if there is still food there.

I have taken a drink 20 minutes after eating and had it come right back up, along WITH food, that has yet to fully empty out of my pouch....

The "Rules' I was taught very early on by my Dr., , was that everyone has to learn to "Listen" to their band, not the next persons.....because everyone reacts differently...and everyone is unique...getting to know one's band "Intimately", .so well that even a little sip of Water, a small bit of food, or whether or not you are hungry or not, is key to all this....

I also understand there are a lot of newly banded people out there that have no idea what I'm talking about.....and their bands are not even saying anything yet for them to listen to......but as you get fills..adjustments...it will if you "Listen"

It's 4am, I just took my first swallow of coffee...and my band said "Whoa, SLOW IT DOWN,,,EASY...." Remembering that this is the first thing I am swallowing this day, and always the tightest first thing. after waking.......

Sipping fluids doesn't cause me any problems unless I happen to be stuck. Otherwise, the Fluid slips right on through. My satiety level with or without a sip isn't legible. I'm one of the bandster's who prefers the band to be on the loose side. Not tight, and not real loose. Just to the point where if I forget the rules I pay for it. Works for me.

tmf

Thanks all. For those who thought I was going against drs orders.. As I stated initially. He has no limitations on drinking with the band and says his patients are able to drink with meals just fine. So not drinking is not going against my drs orders. I was just curious of the division from so many of you about not drinking and wondered if there were advantages of which I was not aware. It sounds as though most of you who do not drink with meals do so out of necessity. I will talk to my dr about the concerns some of you expressed about stretching, if drinking whole eating, etc. if I deem necessary.

Important to note that I would not go here to avoid drs advice. However, I do know that drs are human and that there are different opinions, and schools of thought with every medical condition/procedure and it is always important to educate yourself. So while I trust my doctor, I don't have blind trust and I educate myself. I think that is a wise choice.