Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Found an interesting Blog

I found an interesting blog describing all the bad things that weight loss surgeries do to the body. It was an interesting read and I wanted to see if the Vets had any insight on this. She seems a very passionate about what she writes. Anyway here is the Blog....http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/. Have any vets had any of the problems she stated?

I'm sorry AuriP,

I could not get past this woman's first story. She has a personal axe to grind for whatever reason..

Listen ANY surgery comes with risks but so does living your life morbidly obese.

This woman sounds like an extremist wackadoodle sorry :)

I found an interesting blog describing all the bad things that weight loss surgeries do to the body. It was an interesting read and I wanted to see if the Vets had any insight on this. She seems a very passionate about what she writes. Anyway here is the Blog....http://suethsayings.blogspot.com/. Have any vets had any of the problems she stated?

No.

That is the short answer to your one question. :)

I am not a veteran for say, but come on..So they did a study on women.....not men this time....what is the common cause of ED..if you ask an Osteopath it is a restriction of blood flow to the penis..

Every surgery that we have to have is a risk taken. Every surgery elective is a risk we take..that is the simple truth of the matter...

The easy way out..no.. of course not...Maybe she has a voice for another money making organization like exercise equipment. Or things have not gone the way she thinks they should have for some reason...She obviously has a story that she is not telling...So be it...

Weight loss surgery is a necessary surgery in our day and age. No one forces anyone to go under the knife for it. it is elective...just like face lift surgery...or taking poison into our bodies when we have been given the death dealing blow of cancer...Some feel it is important to prolong life a long as possible using chemicals to kill it...personal choice, where others chose not to and go about it another way....All personal choices and beliefs...Neither are wrong

I feel personally that this is something that we do not go into lightly. It is a surgery for those who have tried it all and still have not had the success in becoming thinner and healthier...Healthier is the most important....Because of my own situation..I was in situation that could, may, might or possibly led me to die in my 50's..With surgery and learning to deal with why I am fat ( fixing the brain) I hope that I can remain a relatively healthy woman for as long as other things don't kill me like what they are putting in my food, the air, the Water, the soil, the chemicals and so forth.....

I am doing what I can to do this for my health benefits.....She has an issue.. Well no problem expressing it...No problem promoting it if it is done for the right reasons..The right reason is to educate people....

Fascinating another viewpoint..I have one too. Okay for her it is not the way to go..For me it saved my life..I see it as a miracle.....And nothing less then a miracle and that is because of who I was before the surgery and who I am now after the surgery...Will I struggle? Yes every day, like I have for my entire life..Will i win the race? We will see only at the end...

Does not matter to me..all I know is I can hug my granddaughter close to my heart where as before this I could not....And hugging her is my favorite thing in the world..This surgery has given me the opportunity for how ever long I want to use it as a tool and not the forever answer..that is up to me to find the answers within my self to fix my head while eating healthier and exercising! Will fix my body hopefully....

That is my 2 cents worth!!!!!!!!!

I'm not vet but I know crazy when I see it. She has a chip on her shoulder for some reason.

Wow! Disturbing!

Makes me want to seek out 10 year plus WLS patients.

She talks mainly about gastric bypass, which my wife had. Double checking nutrition wouldn't hurt.

I'm all for counter-points and information but she is very slanted in her commentary. She also never follows up with any factual information.

Based on your questions and my own curiosity, I plan on examining the medical literature for long-term gastric sleeve/gastrectomy outcomes.

I'll let you all know what I find. ;) (disclaimer: I'm not an M.D. just a Ph.D.)

Let me make this clear that I in no way believe the hype she's protraying. I just found her to be extremely angry and vengeful and wanted some insight. I am still going to get the surgery. I just wanted to verify how quacky she seems without me immediately saying so. I have a friend who has gone from 389 to 179 and has kept it off for 4 years with none of the problems this woman has stated.

When I first had my lap band surgery there was a doctor that really pushed for Gastric Bypass. He had a commercial that said one of the major issues with the band is that you can always eat Cookies and ice cream. He had an entire commercial just bashing the band. We did some digging and found that he didn't do the band, and for whatever reason he was unable to preform the lap band surgery, due to the fact that the only band manufacturer was not willing to sell to him. (no idea why) My point is, that sometimes people that are so passionate about something usually have a reason for their behavior, weather it's based on money, or the chance to fame. who knows, and unless she gives you more info on the blog, or is willing to explain why she is so anti-WLS. Like others have said maybe they work for a fitness place, or they sell equipment, or some kind of diet plan. Why know?

Funny, in some of her entries she's saying everyone regains all their weight back after wls, then in some entries she'll talk about someone who is anorexic, underweight and malnourished post wls. Cant speak in absolutes and contradict yourself! This woman is an ignorant know it all. A very pathetic combination.

I was also quite dismayed at how rude she was to anyone who commented on her blog with a view that wasnt totally in line with her own. She touts herself as a christian minister, but I dont see it in the way she replied to people.

Smh

This woman's crusade is a bit bizarre. Why do you suppose it is such a hot topic for her? She never says why, from what Ive read.

Ok, I know this needs to go into the research/science area and I'll cross post it, but just to follow up with some...you know...data...here is a summation:

KEY FINDING: LAP-BAND FAILS 44% OF THE TIME.

This study finds that the LAGB failed as a primary bariatric procedure for 44% of patients due to either inadequate weight loss or adequate weight loss with unmanageable symptoms. This suggests that the LAGB [lapband] should be abandoned as a primary bariatric procedure for the majority of morbidly obese patients due to its high failure rate.

Kindel, T., Martin, E., Hungness, E., & Nagle, A. (2013). High failure rate of the laparoscopic-adjustable gastric band as a primary bariatric procedure. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases.

KEY FINDING: SLEEVE REDUCES GHRELIN AND IS MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN GASTRIC BANDING.

As a consequence of resection of the gastric fundus, the predominant area of human ghrelin production, ghrelin is significantly reduced after LSG but not after LAGB. This reduction remains stable at a follow-up 6 months postoperatively, which may contribute to the superior weight loss when compared with LAGB.

Langer, F. B., Hoda, M. R., Bohdjalian, A., Felberbauer, F. X., Zacherl, J., Wenzl, E., ... & Prager, G. (2005). Sleeve gastrectomy and gastric banding: effects on plasma ghrelin levels. Obesity surgery, 15(7), 1024-1029.

KEY FINDING: LSG IS SAFE AND EFFECTIVE (as far as we know in the short-term).

Results: Of the 62 patients who underwent LSG performed by two surgeons, the data of 30 patients (7 males and 23 females) were further analyzed. Mean preoperative BMI was 41.4 (33-59) kg/m2. Mean operative time was 80 min (range 65-130). Mean hospital stay was 3.2 days (range 2 to 25). Mean weight loss at 3 and 6 months following the procedure was 22.7 kg and 30.5 kg respectively, and mean % excess weight loss (EWL) was 40.7 and 52.8, respectively. Three patients were considered to have mild complications, and one patient had a major complication that necessitated surgical intervention. There was no mortality. Conclusions: In the short-term, LSG is a safe and effective treatment option.

Roa, P. E., Kaidar-Person, O., Pinto, D., & Rosenthal, R. J. (2006). Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as treatment for morbid obesity: technique and short-term outcome. Obesity surgery, 16(10), 1323-1326.

KEY FINDING: Even 5 years out sleeve gastrectomy is effective to fight obesity.

Five years after performance of SG, weight loss was satisfactory, few complications were observed, the reduction of co-morbidities was significant, but there was an increase in the frequency of GERD.

Fuks, D., Verhaeghe, P., Brehant, O., Sabbagh, C., Dumont, F., Riboulot, M., ... & Regimbeau, J. M. (2009). Results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: a prospective study in 135 patients with morbid obesity. Surgery, 145(1), 106-113. (Conducted in France)

KEY FINDING: Gastric sleeve works on its own, the weight stays off, and the ghrelin doesn’t come back in the first 5 years.

At 5-year follow-up, a mean EWL of 55.0 ± 6.8% was achieved, indicating that SG leads to stable weight loss. Beside significant weight regain, severe reflux might necessitate conversion to gastric bypass or duodenal switch. After an immediate reduction postoperatively, plasma ghrelin levels remained low for the first 5 years postoperatively.

Bohdjalian, A., Langer, F. B., Shakeri-Leidenmühler, S., Gfrerer, L., Ludvik, B., Zacherl, J., & Prager, G. (2010). Sleeve gastrectomy as sole and definitive bariatric procedure: 5-year results for weight loss and ghrelin. Obesity surgery, 20(5), 535-540.

KEY FINDING: Meta-analyses indicate that while there are a small number of complications (mainly fistulas for BMI<60) people don’t die from sleeve surgery. (Canada, Korea, France, Israel, USA)

Behrens, C., Tang, B. Q., & Amson, B. J. (2011). Early results of a Canadian laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy experience. Canadian Journal of Surgery, 54(2), 138.

Han, S. M. (2005). Results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) at 1 year in morbidly obese Korean patients. Obesity Surgery, 15(10), 1469-1475.

Nocca, D., Krawczykowsky, D., Bomans, B., Noël, P., Picot, M. C., Blanc, P. M., ... & Fabre, J. M. (2008). A prospective multicenter study of 163 sleeve gastrectomies: results at 1 and 2 years. Obesity surgery, 18(5), 560-565.

Rubin, M., Yehoshua, R. T., Stein, M., Lederfein, D., Fichman, S., Bernstine, H., & Eidelman, L. A. (2008). Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy with minimal morbidity early results in 120 morbidly obese patients. Obesity surgery, 18(12), 1567-1570.

Hutter, M. M., Schirmer, B. D., Jones, D. B., Ko, C. Y., Cohen, M. E., Merkow, R. P., & Nguyen, N. T. (2011). First Report from the American College of Surgeons--Bariatric Surgery Center Network: Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy has Morbidity and Effectiveness Positioned Between the Band and the Bypass. Annals of surgery, 254(3), 410.

Edited by CoffeeGrinDR

Hmmm.. She says WLS as if all WLS's yet she only mentions gastric bypass. Also, no one ever claims that WLS is a cure. It aids in getting to a manageable weight and thats what majority can't do with diet and excercise alone.

Sorry OP, don't find it interesting because shes full of shit.. Err I mean hate. She's read some things and states her opinion.. No useful facts that are backed with facts

One of her "angry" commenters mentioned some kind of Whica health drink. Apparently she brought such a thing up previously? Maybe she pushes something. I would investigate further but I am still on the Jimmy Hoffa case. :D

Hmmm.. She says WLS as if all WLS's yet she only mentions gastric bypass. Also, no one ever claims that WLS is a cure. It aids in getting to a manageable weight and thats what majority can't do with diet and excercise alone.

Sorry OP, don't find it interesting because shes full of ****.. Err I mean hate. She's read some things and states her opinion.. No useful facts that are backed with facts

I only found it interesting in her obvious hate of all WLS. Even when a woman mentioned her mother getting one done in the 80's and how her mom is doing awesome and is really active with her grandchildren, she still had some hateful things to say. Didnt even congradulate the woman's mom on her sustained weight loss. I was just wondering if she was being a fear monger and if any of her "facts" were true for some who have been out longer than a year.

Edited by AuriP