Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody else freaked out by the idea of never being able to enjoy carbs again?

i've read a lot of ppl that say they can't eat bread or any type of sweets after being sleeved. am i the only one that is scared out of thier MIND about that prospect? i know that carbs are not really supposed to be good for you but i've comforted myself with sugar my whole life and the thought of not being able to go there kind of freaks me out. not only sugar i guess but the idea i may never enjoy even a peice of toast EVER?

what do yall think?

Hey chica! Well...this has crossed my mind so I'll chime in publicly. Sometimes I feel like I've already eaten a lifetime's worth of carbs and sugar and I'm looking forward to not wasting so much time and energy on craving things.

I've been also wondering, though, what a good mourning process is. A grieving process and an adjustment for how to cope now that the carb "release" is taken away. Will exercise be my replacement crutch?

I FREAKING LOVE pizza. I know I'm not going to be able to slam in half a pizza in about 10 minutes like I can now.

THANK GOD.

Nothing really tastes as good as I think it will taste. I need to start daydreaming about what I will be able to do not what I plan on eating.

This is a toughy. I'd be glad to see what some of the successful sleeve vets on here have to say about their transition away from carbs was like.

Thanks for your honesty, NoLa! *hugs*

me too. i have heard some ppl can tolerate this stuff in moderstion but many can't. i'm full set on go but i worry about this.

I'm glad to see you are a little worried too. LOL maybe (hopefully i can take up exercising or cleaning house ??)

Nolagirl, I too was a carb freak. Being from New Orleans how can we not be. I'm 13 months out and have not had any sweets, rice,breads or Pasta since Sept 2012. It was hard at first but I've learned to eat gumbos and Beans with out rice and when I need something sweet I grab a yogurt or Protein bar. Before I eat something I ask myself is it truly worth the calories, fat gram or carbs , or is there a healthier choice. Keep the bad stuff far away and keep healthy Snacks close. You can do this..

This probably isn't the response you are looking for, or the person who is qualified to give it. I haven't even technically had my six month surgiversary yet, although I did have my six month follow up yesterday. I was nervous about giving up certain foods "forever" before surgery because frankly, they were one of the main sources of pleasure and comfort in my life. So I know where you are coming from. pizza, eh, not so much, I was never a pizza fanatic. But big slices of lovely toasted artisan bread slathered in butter? I could go through half a loaf in a single afternoon, easy.

Anyway, here's the deal for me. I've lost 134 pounds since my first visit with my surgeon. I've still got a ways to go (50 more pounds? Don't have an exact goal weight yet, I'm thinking of a clothing size and body fat percentage). I haven't had anything made with any kind of grain, any starchy veggie, or anything with refined sugar since my surgery. And I don't care. It doesn't bother me. I don't feel deprived. Sure, sometimes I see something yummy like those boxes of Trader Joe's pumpkin spice toaster pastries or the Peanut Butter Cookies from my neighborhood bakery and I want them - but I don't seriously consider actually eating them. The only thing that matters to me is getting to goal. When I get there, then I'll worry about whether I can have a piece of toast again. I may not be able to, whether because it's physically uncomfortable, or maybe it leads me to a bad path of eating horribly and not being able to maintain my weight. I'm not at goal yet so I can't say for sure, but I think I am going to be okay with that. There are plenty of other foods that I enjoy eating and can take pleasure in and that are sleeve and health-friendly, so I am not "depriving" myself of the joys of eating - I am abstaining from the things that got me to a 60 BMI and in need of surgery.* I would encourage people going in to surgery to train yourself, as much as possible, to have the questions in your mind about the future be things like "what are the strategies I can use to most carefully follow my surgeon's dietary plans?" and "how can I most quickly and safely get to my goal weight/size/body fat percentage?" instead of "when can I eat pizza/rice/cookie again?" or "will I be able to eat a half a loaf of toasted bread slathered with butter again?" Do your best to focus on the health challenges in front of you rather than the unhealthy foods you may be leaving in your past, at least for a long period of time if not forever.

I know that's easier said than done! As I said, I have been there and completely understand what you are going through and the mourning process that goes along with the thought of losing that source of comfort and pleasure. It got a lot easier for me when I saw the pounds coming off, the sizes dropping - that became a big source of comfort and pleasure as well. Good luck!

*thanks to Nikke and the other posters at the OH sleeve board for the discussion about the language of deprivation - it helped me a lot!

Not sure who this everybody is who is saying you can't have carbs again. Of course you will if you chose. Hopefully sugar will no longer be your go to for comfort. Soft breads I don't really eat but I also don't mind, somehow you adjust your brain to this. Toast as it is crunchy should be no problem. I haven't had rice; can have a little potato but chose again not to. You will find that your food tolerances and preferences will change for the better with the sleeve. Enjoy the ride!!

I would say "Don't worry, you'll be able to eat all those things," but I don't want it to sound like encouragement! :) No but truly, you will probably be able to eat most foods you loved pre-op once you have recovered from surgery and your stomach heals.

The decision to NOT eat those foods is when the real work begins, because eating around the surgery is self-sabotage and will probably lead to weight gain. Post op, I really miss 3 things: pizza, diet soda, and cake. I mean, really. LOL, sometimes I obsess about those things but I make a choice not to eat them - otherwise, why did I have this huge surgery? My desire for cake, etc, hasn't disappeared, but I'm more motivated to lose weight than I am to buy and eat that piece of cake from the bakery. Post-op, I spend a lot of time thinking about food -- food I should eat and food I shouldn't eat. It's a battle every single day to make the right choices. Thank god I had the surgery to help me along - otherwise, what's the point?

I have to agree with Amazon ... who told you this? I pretty much stayed away from breads, rice and heavy starches the first 7 to 8 months as I knew this was my window for optimal loss and I wasn't going to piss it away on a bagel. But after I lost 120 pounds and hit goal, I will have the occasional item from my list above.

Yesterday I had a piece of cheese pizza for lunch and for dinner, I had baked sole with a baked potato (butter and ranch dressing on it). Now, my quantity is faaaaaaaar less than it used to be as half a pizza is now one slice and I enjoyed about 4 bites of potato, but NEVER enjoying carbs ... ?

Your body needs carbs for energy. My mindset had to change when I got sleeved. Doing the low/no carb lifestyle, IMO, is for people who have 100% of their stomach. With the sleeve's limited capacity, my carb intake is already limited. As long as I follow the basic guidelines of eating my lean Protein first, I can enjoy any carb I want. For me, the key is to not ABUSE those food items and try to consume nutritionally relevant items. I used to do just the opposite.

Experiment and see what works for you.

Edited by PdxMan

This is a GREAT thread. Thanks for starting it, nolagirl.

All of life is choices. The sleeve is a BIG choice. A cookie is not a BIG choice. Who knows what you will choose then? Let's home that your choices will let you continue your journey!!! What you want then might differ from what you want now.

I have been craving pizza and want one bite so bad!! I too wonder when this will fade. I guess right now I don't give in because I'm afraid of getting stuck. I'm 6 days post but the craving and hunger is there.

I had my VSG 10/24/13 and I have no cravings for sugar, carbs, or anything.

It could happen to you as well.

Why eat something when you literally do not crave it at all?

thanks so much for the thoughtful replies. I'm really scared about it. i have severls friends that have been sleeved and they say that they cant tolerate any bread or sweets of any kind or white potatoes. not cant eat it as in it's not on my diet but can't physically eat it becasue it makes them sick.

that was mnore along \the lines my mind is moving.

how common is that?

i totally understand I don't need to be stuffing my face with carbs and trying to beat the system,

im so glad to hear many of you say i s\imply don't crave those things anymore :) I pray to God I'm one that will have that result.

what do yall think makes tghe difference between people that want th at stuff sfter surgery and th ose that dont?

I have been craving pizza and want one bite so bad!! I too wonder when this will fade. I guess right now I don't give in because I'm afraid of getting stuck. I'm 6 days post but the craving and hunger is there.

Coach while we all are different, I lose cravings IF I can avoid processed or simple carbs for 3/4 days. If I give in, I've got ANOTHER 3/4 days of craving hell to go through....

hmm interesting, so it's like a detox period, I"ll have to try that Arts :) i've given up soda months ago and candy mostly now my thing is bread and pizza tho i mostly eat wheat bread anyway. and wheat Pasta. LOVE rice and may miss that but well see,. i guess the liquid diet before and after surgery sh ould service to pretty much detox you from that stuff. ( hopefully)

i'm pretty scared but committed to do my very best so well see what happens :)