Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all- I have done a search and most of what pops up are all dated from several years ago - can I please get some advice about Doctor's in Mexico?

So many of them and I am getting all confused and scared to make a decision. I know there will be ups and downs . . . I have found nothing but good things about Dr. Ortiz with Mi in TJ (A Lighter me). I did find one bad thread where someone didn't complain about him or his facilities, but about her after care. Seems as though she traveled alone, and her patient rep was traveling and didn't communicate with the patient. Anyone else . . . please help me out - I would like to schedule for next month!! :)

Recheck your dates. Maybe you have date sorter on oldest first?

Really, there is so much current info on this fab forum, it'll make your head spin.

Happy searching.

W

I was going to go to Mexico.....however, after doing due diligence and lots of research....i decided NOT to go to Piedras Negras,Mexico....for many,many good reasons......I decided to have the VSG in NYC with a fabulous surgeon and I have already lost 95 pounds...the surgery was in July......I still have some weight to lose however, I am not dealing with the intake of food...it is an adjustment....however, I am delighted to have had the surgery in NYC.....please do your research.......should you wish to speak with me.....let me know ? wishing you all the best....:)

There are plenty of excellent surgeons in mx and with good research and help from patience on this forum you will find the right mx surgeon for you. Dr Ortiz has many many satisfied patients.

It is so important to do due diligence and a great amount of research before choosing a surgeon in the USA as well as out of the USA. When I set out on my personal journey to have the VSG, I truly believed that going to Mexico was going to be the best alternative.....the particular 'surgeon' that I was going to use...has a great PR system .....after,I did my research about this 'surgeon', I discovered that he clearly was NOT Board Certified, he did NOT have any Post Graduate Training in Bariatric Surgery-he did Not have a Post Graduate Fellowship in any sort of surgery.....what he did have was several CME's

taken at lovely vacation spots around the USA and other countries....that, is Not post graduate training... taking afew days vacation and sitting in on afew

meetings... receiving certificates is also Not Post Graduate training. a good Post graduate training in Bariatric surgery is a two year Fellowship after a Residency......the general public would not know this....people who are in the medical and or legal professions would easily discover this..... so, as with anything.....Buyer Beware'...... there is no recourse,in countries outside of the USA....wishing you all the very best in good health....:)

I'm going to dr illan in Tijuana with baja bariatrics. Their coordinator Omar has been good to work with so far, and there is a great Facebook group for his patients. I get sleeved tomorrow!

Truth & gutz, if you're going to bash mx surgeons please do it with facts. This is a help forum not a rumor/scare mill

I'm no expert at all.  But the research I've read says there are fewer complications and fewer deaths when you:  

* Choose a surgeon who's done MANY surgeries of the type you'll get

* Choose a hospital where MANY surgeries of the type you'll get have been done

* Comply perfectly with all your pre- and post-operation instructions

* Have a strong and healthy support system around you

* Don't smoke at all

* Are mentally healthy and/or have adequate psychological resources to support you on this journey

* Are courageous and determined (this doesn't mean anything remotely like "perfect")

And yet, even with all those things aligned, complications can and do happen.  The last statistic I've seen with regard to sleeving mortalities during surgery are 1 out of 1,750 surgeries result in patient death.  

And even with all those questions answered above, you don't want to be some doctor's guinea pig for some "new procedure" he's experimenting with.  You really don't want to be "a nice person" who doesn't ask their surgeon the tough questions like:  

* How many surgeries have you done?  

* How long have you been doing this surgery?  

* What is the mortality rate and the complications rate for YOUR patients?  

* What is the "success rate" for YOUR patients?  

* How do you define "success" for YOUR patients?  

* How would you characterize YOUR patients who achieve their weight loss goal?  

* How would you characterize YOUR patients who maintain their weight loss goal?  

* How comfortable are you with patients who want to ask lots of questions about their medical care?  

* How accessible and responsive will you be to me as I go through this journey?  

You don't have to be rude.  But you have to be assertive enough to advocate for yourself. 

Be informed.  Don't assume.  In fact, writing down a list of all the things you "hope are true" is a great way to develop a list of questions to ask your surgeon.  

Good luck to all of us!

A.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Yes, all of the above would be true..... in whatever country one decides to have a surgical procedure.....the VSG clearly, is not an easy surgery and adjusting

post op could also be challenging....as a rule, it is important to have as much information as possible before laying down in a surgeon's operatory.....should

something go unexspectedly wrong.....Mexico's system of 'Justice' is rather

different and there is no recourse.....tragically, there have been many cases hidden from the public.....a good remedy prior to choosing to leave American soil.....is to research the particular 'surgeon' in Mexico(if that is a choice) by

speaking with the proper authorities at the American Embassy..... they know and are aware of what these 'surgeons' and 'coordinators' are doing and how they run their business......there have been cases where a potential 'patient' has had to cancel their surgery in Mexico( for medical reasons as per their own primary care physician)...and , the coordinator refused to return the deposit......that is abhorant....running a so called 'medical practice' in that manner is unethical.....and ,desperation for help can unfortunatly create an unwanted and serious issue.......just stay educated.....and take care of your health..... look at your options....... all the very best..... in your journey....

Truth & Gutz,

I plan to have my surgery in US.  

But, truthfully, I've heard more horror stories about US WLS surgeries than I have Mexican ones.  In the US a lot of internists / surgeons are looking to capitalize upon the rapidly growing WLS market.  The trouble stems from some US surgeons in small cities not having much experience with these surgeries.  And many people don't want to travel far from home. 

At least the Mexican surgeons have lots of experience, which is in their patients' favor.  

The real question is how much experience does YOUR surgeon have with the surgery you're going to have, and what is YOUR surgeon's track record.  That's the $64K question.  

Just sayin'. 

I'm not sure there is really any recourse in the US healthcare system unless you happen to be particularly well-off. Given the rate of comorbidities most of us have, it's not as though the army of lawyers any US hospital has is going to make an easy case for any US lawsuit. 

Also, a business model has little to do with the reputation of a surgeon's track record. The deposit makes sense. It's an elective surgery, I imagine without some aspect of financial good-faith people would be scheduling and backing out all the time (I've already shifted my date once and they were great about it).

I don't think it's fair to cast a US/Mexico dichotomy (I've lived in three different countries and been through all kinds of medical systems -- here and abroad). Indeed, the first and most prominent university in North America was in Mexico before the US even existed. Due diligence is important no matter what your latitude or longitude. When you incorporate "elective" surgery and the market factors in play here it's important, just as anything else in life, to be informed. 

I find that people are best able to think clearly when they aren't panicked, afraid, or rushing. I like to think this board is a safe place for people to come and ask questions. Personally, I spent last night reading the complications board (just as one source of data) and found that overwhelmingly the surgeons were insurance-backed US-based doctors. 

Sometimes nuance matters. And also: trust yourself and your body, you know what's best for you! Always advocate on your own behalf in ANY medical setting...I think we all know what fat prejudice in healthcare feels like!

Edited by CoffeeGrinDR

[i find that people are best able to think clearly when they aren't panicked, afraid, or rushing. I like to think this board is a safe place for people to come and ask questions. Personally, I spent last night reading the complications board (just as one source of data) and found that overwhelmingly the surgeons were insurance-backed US-based doctors. ]

I, personally, believe this has a lot to do with inexperience. The MX surgeon have been doing this surgery for a lot longer period than surgeons here in the states. Some having complications have posted that they were one of the first 100 surgeries for a particular surgeon. I know I want experience, excellent stats, and care. And I got it.

There are tons of positive reviews on this and other forums of Dr Elias Ortiz. In 5 weeks post op and he still checks up on me. I had absolutely no side effects. A lighter me will baby you in TJ. Abraham and Orlando are always available and they plan outings to local shops.

Dr Ortiz and Dr Hernandes check on you every day. Multiple times in The hospital and multiple times in The hotel. I would not choose another surgeon in The US even if the cost were the same. Eventually he will have a leak bc they just happen but as of now he has never had one. Also, read up on the various forums. Most of the problems come from the US.

I keep touch with many alighterme patients and we all feel great. None of us had complications and are able to eat and drink comfortably. I feel so lucky to have used them. And like I stated, Dr Ortiz still keeps in touch and answers questions. They also have a post op care c coordinator, Ronda, that calls once a week to discuss the different stages of diet.

All around first class service and surgery.

Bob

Edited by Bob Barnett