Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started exercising again

I am totally out of shape even though I've lost a lot of weight. I started back today and was only able to do 10 minutes of cardio on the treadmill. I guess its a start. Tomorrow I am shooting for 15 minutes.:clap2:

I am totally out of shape even though I've lost a lot of weight. I started back today and was only able to do 10 minutes of cardio on the treadmill. I guess its a start. Tomorrow I am shooting for 15 minutes.:clap2:

Julie,

I reached goal in July 2006 and only began to really exercise 7 weeks ago. I am with a trainer and I had no clue how out of shape I was. I walked my dog everyday and when I began exercising, I wondered where did those muscles go while walking the dog. I think I was stronger heavier than I am now but you know what? You will begin to get stronger and stronger each and every day.

The tread mill is excellent for weight lose. You should do that 5 days a week if you do nothing else. If you are going to lift any weights, I go to the gym 3 days a week and work with the trainer for 1/2 hour and then at home I use my tread mill 3 times a week for 1/2 hour. I have become addicted because I feel SOOOOOOOOOO good. I even quit smoking over two months ago.

When I started at the gym I weighed 136 and I am now 142 and my clothes are fitting the same so it better be muscle weight that I am gaining because I am not eating anymore than normal. My first month I lost almost 5 inches but because of the excess skin it is hard to measure my fat percentage.

I feel incredible and wished I would have done this while I was losing weight maybe I would have had less skin.

Keep up the good work.

Josephine

Surgery 11/10/05

251/142

At Goal 7/06

Josephine, thanks for the inspiration. I feel really good and I can't wait to lose the rest. My goal is 200 lbs. I weighed about 175-180 in high school and my doctor thinks I can get there, but truth be told I am looking to only get to a weight I can maintain and not kill myself to get skinnier than that. I feel good now, but I can't wait to get to a 16 again.

Hi Julie-

I am sort of in the same boat. I was banded five months ago and have maybe stepped on the treadmill twice since that time. I was losing great, but have recently plateaued. I knew that I needed to do something to get back on track and to get the weight loss moving again. I started back in the treadmill again this week and the weight has already started to come off again. I had been at a standstill for weeks, but have lost 2.5# since Monday. I could only do 10 minutes on the first day I started back this week, but tonight I am up to about 15 minutes. Even though it has only been 10-15 minutes, I feel so much better -- both physically, and about myself -- after my workout.

We'll get back up to speed...one step at a time.

MarySue33, thank you for the inspiration. I am embarrassed that I can only do 10 minutes. It just about killed me! I remember when I started exercising 2 years ago (I lost 26 lbs post op) I couldn't even walk at 2.5. It was really bad. I am in a size 20 now from a size 24 but I KNOW that I will have to exercise to get rid of the extra weight. Thank you again for the motivation.

That's great...15 minutes is a great start. I started out the same way. This is a good way to avoid getting frustrated. You've got a great plan and should be proud of yourself!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I am trying to do a modified version of the "From Couch to 5k Walk/Run Program". http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

They recommend starting with a 20 minute workout, but mine is not up to speed yet. I walk for several minutes and then try to pick up my pace for 30-40 seconds. It is hardly a 'sprint interval' -- but more like a little faster walk. I keep reminding myself that I did not get fat overnight, so I certainly won't be running marathons by June, either. I know several friends who have done this couch to 5k thing and they were in as bad of shape as I am when they started. Now they are actually RUNNERS! I figure that even if I can only do 10 or 15 min at a time that it is a start. These 'baby steps' will all pay off in the long run.

I am trying to do a modified version of the "From Couch to 5k Walk/Run Program". http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

They recommend starting with a 20 minute workout, but mine is not up to speed yet. I walk for several minutes and then try to pick up my pace for 30-40 seconds. It is hardly a 'sprint interval' -- but more like a little faster walk. I keep reminding myself that I did not get fat overnight, so I certainly won't be running marathons by June, either.

I know several friends who have done this couch to 5k thing and they were in as bad of shape as I am when they started. Now they are actually RUNNERS! I figure that even if I can only do 10 or 15 min at a time that it is a start. These 'baby steps' will all pay off in the long run. It may take me 6 months instead of 2 months to get to the running part, but it will still be way more running than I have ever done in my life. (Heck, the little 30 second intervals are already more running than I have done in years!!)

Wow, you sound just like me. I have been exercising consistently for the past year but have just recently made the decision to participate in my first-ever physical challenge! Each year my office sponsors a support table at a local charity walk. For the past 6 years or so I have volunteered at the table and passed out Water to the other walkers/runners. Well, I decided this winter that there's not a reason in the world that I couldn't participate this year instead of just sitting on the sidelines watching others. So, I've worked with my trainer and we've devised a training plan to prepare me for the 10K event, which is in a few weeks. I am able to walk 6.5 miles on my treadmill at a time. I will advance to 7 miles tonight meaning I am now physically able to complete the 10K walk (my understanding is that 10K equals roughly 6.5 miles). I think it's a wonderful testament to the band and how it has changed my life that I now feel motivated enough to do something I've let pass me by for several years! Wish me luck and I'll be sending good vibes your way as well as we work toward our goals!!

I am someone who never exercised. Even going to the grocery store was almost more than I could handle. I have severe arthritis in my knees and ankles, and everything hurt. But, a month after my surgery, I decided that I needed to start exercising, period. I joined a ladies only gym, similar to Curves, and I am now completely addicted. I go to the gym at least 6 days a week, and I do Water aerobics twice a week. I never, ever thought I would be this dedicated to exercise, but I am glad I am. I have so much more energy than I used to, and the pain in my knees and ankles is getting better. It will never totally go away, but I have just learned how to work through the pain. I don't want to have to have plastic surgery when I reach my goal, and I know that exercise is the way to help that happen. Keep up the good work, and trust me, it does get easier. Just keep going!

you are all not alone...for me when I first started walking up my own driveway was a struggle...It is only now 18months later that I am able to power walk for an hour at a time and up REALLY steep hills to boot...(i only started doing that recently) You gain in confidence the more you do it and you can push yourself harder and harder but it has to be at your own pace...You will get there...just keep taking small steps.

:eek: becky

Becky you are so right, it takes small steps to even start an exercise program. I've been working out for years and I just started running within the last 6 months and it's been wonderful. I push myself everyday and every week I try to do a little more. Challenging yourself is the key to exercise, it's so easy to get in a rut so just keep up the good work and before you know it, it will be second nature to you.

I guess this was ment to be. I am doing great with the diet thing, it is the exersice part I am lacking. I always come onto this site when I need inspiration to help with the diet or exersice and it is too weird that I always find it. I am so glad that this site is here. I can talk to my friends about the diet and exersice and they are supportive but I can always tell that they have a little voice in the back of their head saying "she had weight loss surgery, it is so much easier for her to lose the weight why is she complaining", the last time I saw my surgen he said something that really stuck in my mind. With weight loss surgery it is a tool, when you reach a certain point in your weight loss it is like you are mortal all over again and now have to lose the weight like you never had the surgery. I believe that this is true, weight loss surgery will not promise weight loss, you have to put into what you will get out of it. I have been slacking, so the resluts have not been that great. I need to change something and I know that it is exersice, and that is what I will have to do. Good luck to everybody and stay positive. Remember girls bikini season is just around the corner :>:gluck:

Doubletrouble, thank you for your post. I know I am not in this alone. I feel so out of shape. I just can't imagine how much better I will feel with continued weight loss. My goal is another 40 lbs. I really want to lose that in the next 6-8 months.