Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allow myself to re-introduce myself

A few days ago, I introduced myself on these boards. I have to apologize, because that day I was feeling a little down, and out. Feeling like it would be impossible for me to lose any weight, or stick to any kind of diet. I turned to these boards looking for support. Not a single soul replied. That's ok though, I'm not usually such a pesimist.. it's just that I was having a really bad day, and just needed some encouragement. I'm sorry to have come off as such a 'downer'.

So, I'll try again... this time with some new (sort of positive, almost but not really) news to report.

One of the presurgical hurdles that my doc makes us go thru is a cardio clearance. Good idea, since we all know that lap band surgery is major surgery, and your ticker should be in good shape :) . Yesterday I had my echo cardiogram (like a sonogram of the heart), and the technician discovered that I have a moderate aortic stenosis (my heart is not working to capacity)... this would explain why I am always tired, and out of breath, and freqeuently light headed. I assumed these were just things that happen when you're overweight. I need to go back to the cardiologist tomarrow, who will do some further tests, and likely refer me for valve replacement surgery....

Ok, so... I'm DEFINATELY not taking this lightly, but I am looking at it as a blessing.... had I not decided to undergo the lapband surgery, I would have been a walking time bomb...(according to the MD, aortic stenosis can result in sudden death)... and honestly, god has a strange way of answering prayers, because NOTHING makes you appreciate life (and want to life it healthfully) more than the threat of dying. The first thing I did when I got back from the docs (after crying my eyes out for an hour, and googling aortic stenosis about a million times), was re-commit to eat healthier, and exercise more consisitantly.

Thank you guys, all of you for your support. Bot spoken, and unspoken :success1:

Hi Silly! :success1:

So many times I've heard people share stories about the conditions they found while undergoing presurgical testing. It is indeed a blessing! If your condition is fixable (is it?) perhaps you'll find the strength and stamina to work on getting healthy without surgery. It's great they found it!!

Welcome (again) to LBT, and I hope everything works out as you desire. :)

:welcome2: Hi SillyWilly ~ Welcome to LBT! So sorry you didn't get a response the first time around. :phanvan I'm sure you will find this to be a great cyber home and you will find a wealth of support and info here. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if they've been asked a million times b4. There are many threads to search, but every individual is different and may have a different view on a topic.

You are right, the Lord was answering your prayers without you even knowing it at the time by finding your heart condition. Keep going through the tests and pray about it. The Lord will lead you down the perfect path at the perfect time.

My DW had LB surgery last May and needed extra cardio tests b/c of an arrhythmia only discovered as a results of pre-testing. She did fine at surgery and I'm sure you will too when the time comes. I hope to get the band myself after a job change and we secure insurance. Hopefully, the company will cover the band. My DW says it's the best thing she's ever done.

Hang in there and keep us posted!!

:success1:

Hi SillyWilly--how lucky for you that it was discovered!!! My DH finally went to our PCP because he was having pretty severe palpitations, as well as shortness of breath. They found his mitral valve was not functioning in a normal manner. In his case the posterior leaflet, was not in rhythm. They set him up for several tests, to decide whether he may or may not need bypass while they were in. They also did a trans-esophageal echo, where they put a camera into his throat, and looked at his heart from the back! Who knew you could do that!!!??? In the end, he checked out that all was well with his heart except the mitral valve, and it couldn't have been much worse! He unfortunately developed a blood clot from the angiogram, and had to postpone surgery for 8 weeks, while it resolved. When they finally got him into the heart surgery, they found his heart extremely enlarged due to the wait for surgery, so they cut it back down to normal size! Amazing! They also worked and were able to reattach the leaflet, and repaired it, so he didn't have to have the valve replaced! He come walked the hall the next morning, and come home on day 4. He recovered wonderfully!!!

Not even 2 months later, he had another medical emergency, and recovered from it as well---so I believe if you choose to be banded following heart surgery, it would not be an issue!

I was shocked at how efficient they are, with the open heart procedures!!! He was taken care of so well, and up and around so quickly! His incision is only about 7 inches long! Back 20+ years ago when my Dad had bypass, his incision come all the way down the chest! My DH's is much smaller---and the Xrays all show his chest wires to be much smaller, and neater. They have come a long way!!!

I am sorry you have the problem, but also thankful, that not only they found it, but that it can be fixed! Isn't it great we live in a day and age where they can actually go in and fix your heart!!!

I tease my husband that he loves me less now. For years he said he loved me with all his heart---well they sized down his heart---so I rest my case!!!

I will be anxious to read of your journey with all of this! Please hang out, and keep us updated....we will be pulling for you!!!

WELCOME!!!

Kat

ok, I just responded to what I think was your original post, then I see this one.

wow, maybe the energy you'll get from fixing your heart will help you exercise and lose weight without the lapband, but if not, what a thing to be thankful for!

listen, that's one reason I think infertility treatment to some extent - at least the testing part - should be covered by insurance. Through all the tests I had done with that, my docs found several little things wrong with my body that I would have never known about. a slight autoimmune disorder, a thyroid problem, and insulin resistance (not diabetes) which was causing polycystic ovaries. had I not gotten these things treated, some of them would have turned into very serious things down the road.

Best of luck. it's a miracle what docs can find and fix these days. everything but cancer . . .

Hi Silly Willy,

Glad to have you here. I'm fairly new to the site too. Hope everything goes well for you. Keep us updated.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Jackie

SWM

Sorry you didn't get a more immediate response to your thread. There are so many new people here all the time, it is very hard to keep up.

Pre-op testing has a purpose - to find things like this! Glad it isn't more serious and very glad that it can be fixed. Nothing like the threat of having your heart just stop on you to inspire you to live life to it's fullest every day.

Good luck in your treatment and in your efforts to get a band. My band is the best decision that I ever made for myself.

Hugs!

I know you might feel discouraged but remember that everything happens for a reason God has a purpose for everything under the sun and its better that you do whats necessary to take care of this now. You will have surgery when your body is ready. I will keep you in my prayers! Good luck!

Ok, so I just got back from the cardiologist. After reviewing the echocardio gram, it looks like my aortic stenosis is not bad enough to warrant heart surgery... just the normal precautionary antibiotics before dental work, no extreme exersion... etc.... BUT he did find a leak in my mitral valve, and is mandating a stress test. :phanvan

If the stress test goes OK, he'll sign off on my cardio clearance and I'll be all set for surgery. :clap2:

Thank you guys, again... truly for all your support.

You guys ROCK

I'm SOOOOOO glad to hear that. :dance: :dance: :dance: I'll pray for you on the mitral valve test. At least the doctors are aware of this problem if you go forward with the lap band. It's true that everything DOES happen for a reason. Keep us posted.

Jackie

Hi Silly Willy..

I too had a not so positive first experience when I began posting here....but, as you can see, it isn't because there are bad people here..just lots of posts and sometimes we get missed. Congrats on finding out that your heart issue wasn't so serious (I have mitral valve prolapse, which was discovered many years ago.) I just had surgery 3 days ago and everything was great. You can and WILL do this. Good luck to you!!

Welcome and good luck to you.

I don't always get in this section, between running around the house, work, etc.

I am glad you are getting your pre-op problems taken care of, that will ease your mind somewhat.

Good luck and keep us posted...........

well, that's great. not bad enough to warrant surgery to fix your heart, but at least you know about it so you can keep an eye on it and be careful.

and best of luck with getting the LB done.

I went to my first information seminar yesterday. after doing my own research and browsing the posts here I knew it was what I wanted to do, but the seminar has convinced me. now I'm getting the ball rolling.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences!