Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are You Happy That You Had The Sleeve Procedure?

I am 8 days post-op. I am down 15 pounds ( no pre-op diet for me ), would I do it again? Yes I would, without hesitation. Even though I'm in the early stages of this journey I know this was the best decision for me.

Is the post-op diet a struggle? Yes it is but it won't always be and that's what keeps me focused. This is all about change and being prepared to go with the flow will make it easier I believe-remember: this is a marathon not a sprint!

To answer your first question in the heading, no I am not happy I have the sleeve. Before people get upset by that, my meaning is I am mad and sad it had to come to this. I am mad that I can't control my weight on my own, can't control myself to eat normal portions. I am mad that I have to eat liquids only right now, that my stomach is sore, that I can't sleep very well at night. I am mad that when I sit down to dinner, I want so badly to eat what everyone else is having, I want TACO BELL. I know I sound whiny, but this is the truth. Every single day I have to wake up and make the decision to do what I can to make the best choices for myself. The surgery will help me to lose weight, but it doesn't fix why I eat or the fact that I want to eat SO BAD. Those things are right in my face every day since surgery and I have to deal with them. Cry at the dinner table like a 2 year old because I can't eat chicken and mashed potatoes. I mean I am 28 years old crying over food!!!! I am fortunate I was able to do this surgery, and I am thankful for the people who lift me up every single day to feel better. The sleeve will allow me to reach a weight goal. But one thing about the sleeve people don't realize until after you have the surgery...you have to deal with why you are obese and overweight. Those problems don't go away as the weight comes off, they only become more blinding. I am sorry to sound like a debbie downer tonight, but I am dealing with this stuff right now and it isn't fun! I wish you all of the best in your sleeve, and please don't let me scare you, that is not my purpose. I just wish I understood better the non weight loss part of this before hand. I wouldn't have changed getting the surgery, but I would have started to work on some of this stuff!

Nurse B,

You bring up some very valid points - it does suck that we got to the point where we couldn't control our weight on our own. But like you said, the surgery is only one aspect of this - I've read many times on this forum...the doc operated on our stomachs, not our brains!

While I'm happy I got the sleeve and I'd do it all over again. Is it all sunshine and lollipops? Not even close. There have been times when the family is eating some gooey, yummy, fatty, concoction that I wanted some and I felt bad that I don't get to eat that any more. There have been fleeting moments where I've thought, "Why did I do this? It was so drastic!" But that doesn't trump the overall feeling I have about this journey I'm on.

I wish I could drink coffee - real strong caffeinated coffee with cream and sugar - like I used to rather than trying to figure out how to keep it hot for an hour until I can finish it.

I wish I could have sat down to Thanksgiving dinner with my family rather than staying home to have finely diced turkey and one tablespoon of mashed potato.

I wish I was able to drink Water like I did before surgery rather than sip, sip, sip throughout the day.

There are a lot of "I wish" statements.

But here's what I'm grateful for:

My blood pressure is already lower.

I'm off my diabetes medication.

I can walk without having pain in my feet - I haven't had that in over 20 years.

I look younger - someone the other day said I look 5 years younger already.

It's easier for me to move and get thru the day - I don't feel like I'm trudging thru mud with every step.

I can walk on the treadmill for 50 plus minutes without feeling exhausted.

In summary - for me, it's a story of trade-offs. I'm willing to give up some of the things I used to temporarily enjoy to feel good, be in better health and be an active participant in my own life.

But from my viewpoint your still living in the past which can easily contaminate you brighter future. I'm not saying your wrong for displaying your true thoughts.....no. I'm say it's time to get to work! I'm not sure how far out you are but excess skin is an issue for me. Go to the gym changes my mindset. We in prison ourselves in a body with little hopes of ever being able to live. How many people get two chances to live? I'm just saying make the best of it. I have been through soooooooooo much in a two year period. There are "moments" when I revert to the "poor me one phase". That sh** only last that moment because I made it through that time in my life. I don't want to relive that dark place. I give myself a pat on the back because whether I came around it, over it or through it......I'm better today than I was yesterday and not even my mind can steal my joy. I wish you the best of luck.

From one post you can make the judgement I'm living in the past? I said my truth, honest feelings I have from time to time I have to deal with. I have also said I love having this opportunity, as well as I'm blessed for this second chance. My long winded point in my original post was to show those who are not sleeved yet there are some low points and a mental aspect you have to overcome. For me, I have to revisit the past with my psychologist to understand the decisions I make with food and how I can make lasting change in the future. That isn't holding on to the negativity, that is setting myself up to not repeat mistakes and end up here again. We all have to face our reality of who we are and how we can make changes to become better versions of ourselves. I can name 100 things I love about being sleeved, but it would be naive to not allow myself to understand and share with others some of the drawbacks. I'm not trying to argue with you, but two assumptions were made about where I'm at and what I needed without knowing the facts behind what I said. I also wish you the best of luck, I wish nothing but success for all of us.

But from my viewpoint your still living in the past which can easily contaminate you brighter future. I'm not saying your wrong for displaying your true thoughts.....no. I'm say it's time to get to work! I'm not sure how far out you are but excess skin is an issue for me. Go to the gym changes my mindset. We in prison ourselves in a body with little hopes of ever being able to live. How many people get two chances to live? I'm just saying make the best of it. I have been through soooooooooo much in a two year period. There are "moments" when I revert to the "poor me one phase". That sh** only last that moment because I made it through that time in my life. I don't want to relive that dark place. I give myself a pat on the back because whether I came around it, over it or through it......I'm better today than I was yesterday and not even my mind can steal my joy. I wish you the best of luck.

From one post you can make the judgement I'm living in the past? I said my truth, honest feelings I have from time to time I have to deal with. I have also said I love having this opportunity, as well as I'm blessed for this second chance. My long winded point in my original post was to show those who are not sleeved yet there are some low points and a mental aspect you have to overcome. For me, I have to revisit the past with my psychologist to understand the decisions I make with food and how I can make lasting change in the future. That isn't holding on to the negativity, that is setting myself up to not repeat mistakes and end up here again. We all have to face our reality of who we are and how we can make changes to become better versions of ourselves. I can name 100 things I love about being sleeved, but it would be naive to not allow myself to understand and share with others some of the drawbacks. I'm not trying to argue with you, but two assumptions were made about where I'm at and what I needed without knowing the facts behind what I said. I also wish you the best of luck, I wish nothing but success for all of us.

I will leave it here, I used the term "my viewpoints" I wasn't trying to psycho analyze you! I was not a food addict and some on this site are. I made poor portion selection. The good comes with the bad. We are all different, I guess at my age and stage of my belief, I have learned to challenge my thoughts positively/differently! Yes, success to us all!

2 years out... well, my anniversary is tomorrow... the sleeve has saved my life and given me my freedom. Life is so much better at a normal weight! I luckily had no complications and seem to have learned how to use this tool in the process of losing 160# and have found maintenance to be doable, but still work. - I love it though!

I will leave it here, I used the term "my viewpoints" I wasn't trying to psycho analyze you! I was not a food addict and some on this site are. I made poor portion selection. The good comes with the bad. We are all different, I guess at my age and stage of my belief, I have learned to challenge my thoughts positively/differently! Yes, success to us all!

Is there a thread or board about food addiction? I'm only 5 days out or so, but I know for sure I have food issues. I've known for a few years. Would love to get some help with that.

I just got my sleeve yesterday and I'm so glad I did. I was so happy when I got my date, and although the preop diet was not fun but I got thru it. I'm sure the next few weeks will be tough. But I already feel better from losing weight on my preop. I am so looking forward to continuing to lose weight and lose this humongous belly. I appreciate the Constipation tips, because I can feel the beginnings of that starting, and now I know to get ahead of it. I'll pick up some Fiber stuff on my way home from the hospital.

I am 8 days post-op. I am down 15 pounds ( no pre-op diet for me ), would I do it again? Yes I would, without hesitation. Even though I'm in the early stages of this journey I know this was the best decision for me. <br>

Is the post-op diet a struggle? Yes it is but it won't always be and that's what keeps me focused. This is all about change and being prepared to go with the flow will make it easier I believe-remember: this is a marathon not a sprint!

Onedaycloser, I'm scheduled for 12/17 and don't have a pre-op diet as you didn't. Did you do anything to prepare for surgery with regards to your diet? I know I went off track from the topic at hand, just wondering because I've been trying to make myself cut down as suggested by my NUT prior to surgery, just don't replay know what that would be for me. Lol

Joan,

I am 5+ weeks out and would recommend this to anyone. I am about 90#s down since the middle if October and feel great. The two things I can say us follow your Dr.'s advice, their program will work!!! The second thing would be be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best. It is major surgery, there is a possibility of some issues!! But even a few minor things make this surgery worth it!!!

I did nothing different down to the last minute. I had roast beef dinner with mashed potatoes and veggies. Stopped eating around 7pm than didn't have fluids after midnight. I was rolled into OR at 10:30 the next day.

Just eat what you want it really didn't make a difference to me anyway.

Good luck

Edited by onedaycloser

I am just under 10 months and 112lbs lighter and have no regrets about getting sleeved.

Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks out, so while I'm very early in my journey, would I do it all over again? Yes, absolutely!

I've already lost 25 pounds since the start of my pre-op diet, which is way more than I would have without the sleeve. I've been able to cut way back on my insulin, and hope to be off it altogether soon. I'm still taking a BP med but hope I'll be off that soon too. I was self-pay (because my employer wrote into their health insurance that they won't cover any WLS) and I'd pay all over again to have it done.

I am finding it difficult to not drink 30 min before -> 30 min after eating, but I'm adhering to it. In addition to the difference in "mouth feel" during the meal, I also have to notice what time the meal ended (so I'll know when I can drink). Similarly I have to note when I took my Calcium supplement so I'll know when I can take my Iron - and vice versa.

The constipation... is bad. I think it's due in large part to the lack of fat in my diet. So, with my surgeon's consent I started taking Colace 100mg twice a day about 10 days after surgery. That has helped a lot.

One of the best things for me is that I'm no where NEAR as hungry as I was before surgery; that's what made the pre-op diet tough for me. I'm very fortunate to have had an easy recovery, and I am so glad I found this site!

Best of luck!

I did nothing different down to the last minute. I had roast beef dinner with mashed potatoes and veggies. Stopped eating around 7pm than didn't have fluids after midnight. I was rolled into OR at 10:30 the next day.<br>

Just eat what you want it really didn't make a difference to me anyway.

Thank you Onedaycloser

I had my sleeve on 10/08/13 my starting weight 307 my prep weight 270 my weight today 250 my goal weight 150 so I have 100 to go I am so blessed and thankful to have been giving this gift I am 41 & disabled from fibromyalga and are up with arthritis in my back knees hands toes I needed to desperately do something and the gastric sleeve was my answer I do have issues with vomiting especially if something song agree with me I know that I can't eat left overs like reheated up meats and dairy is very hard for me to get down it makes me all throfty and mucasy I drink crystal light lemonade my fave all day every day I drink one glass of v8 and sip on chamamel teas or herbal to help

Settle my stomach but I throw up at least once or twice a day it's very bad and afterwards I feel like I have the flu for about ten minutes I have tried pizza not good I tried chocolate surprisingly I can tolerate it and I have had homemade Cookies but very little I have tried alot of different foods and an learning what I can and can't handle it us a learning process good luck I hope thus helps