Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super Nervous About Getting Lapband Surgery!

I'm a newbie and super nervous about my lap band scheduled on Jan 16! I have already started preparing myself mentally/ physically and my body is going through withdrawals! I'm super nervous!

if you weren't nervous i would be worried about you. being prepared is the whole secret about this procedure. read everything you can. scan the different topics here and learn learn learn. please continue to come back here if you have questions or just need a shoulder to lean on. good luck

I agree with terry....take it one step at a time and just remember what AND why you are doing this. It won't be all "peaches and cream" but it is so doable....and I've said this as a reply on other posts...when/if the day comes and you are wondering what you have done to yourself (as I did a day or two after surgery) push through it and remember you did it to better your health, better your life, better yourself.

Follow YOUR doctors orders and relax! And try not to compare your progress to others...everyone is different....as long as you're losing (at any rate) you're losing...and that is the goal after all!

I'm 2 1/2 mos out from surgery and so glad I made this decision...eating everything I want and like just in smaller portions. NO MORE DIETING HERE AND NO DEPRIVATION. It is a wonderful thing.

I am feeling blessed and the results are showing!

Good luck to you...hang in there....don't be a stranger...and keep up posted! :)

I'm a newbie and super nervous about my lap band scheduled on Jan 16! I have already started preparing myself mentally/ physically and my body is going through withdrawals! I'm super nervous!

the unknown is always nerve wracking .... But read, research and arm yourself with as much info as you can. But most importantly listen to your dr and follow his orders above all else. Best of luck to you!

Nervous is perfectly normal. It is your mind's way of working through the unknown. Until you get your band placed and actually start living with it, it is a huge unknown for you and all of the questions in your head, the conflicting emotions, the going back and forth, the what if's... It's all normal.

From the moment I decided that I wanted to have a band, I was rock steady sure in my decision. No second thoughts, no regret. Just the calm surety that this surgery was the right thing for me. My subconscious, however? Bwahahaha!!!! What if? What if I don't like it? What if I miss bags of fish tacos from Del Taco? What if I get a slip? What if someone rags on me for not losing fast enough? What if I get stuck? What if I go under anesthesia and don't wake up? What if Dr. Nirmul gets in there and my liver is so huge I don't get my band? What if? What if? What if? Yeah... Couldn't shut it up. I had to listen, suffer the nervous cold feet of my subconscious and work through it.

It was crazy. Being so sure and ready and yet on that level, nervous and weirding out. In the end, tho, it all worked out. My surgeon went in, my liver was fine, my band was placed, lickety-split. I woke from the anesthesia just fine. I don't miss bags of fish tacos. At least right now. If I do, in the future, I'll deal. Will I get a slip? I suppose it is possible... Again, if it happens, I'll deal. I am going to work to be a compliant bandster so that hopefully, it doesn't happen. I am not going to drive myself crazy worrying about it. I am not worried about what others think about my weight loss. This is my life, my body, my health. worrying about what others think is not on my radar. Life is too short for that brand of f*ckery. :D

I guess what I am trying to say here is, it's going to work out. Let yourself feel the nerves. They are there for a reason. Validate and work through the feelings. Respect them and practice good self care, but don't let them overwhelm and frighten you. Don't let the natural what if's and cold feet scare you or keep you from your goals. :D

I'm so happy for you, and like you I too am nervous and will be getting my lap band done Jan. 16th 2014.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I have read, researched and watched almost every youtube video out there. I am 100% sure I am ready for this lifetime journey.

Hi there and welcome! I was banded 11/05 -- seemed like the day would never arrive and now I'm four and a half weeks out and feeling so happy with my body. Love my band and finding banded life easy. Best wishes to both you new Bandits to be!

I am scheduled for the 21st and am so nervous I can hardly stand it. It's nice to hear it's normal. Coming here has helped so much.

It is exciting to be starting a new year with a new outlook! We are here for you; we will answer questions, rejoice with you, hold your hand when you are feeling down. We want to be your newest friend and buddy! Visit us often, we are support! Karen