Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Calories Do You Consume On An AVERAGE Day?

How many calories do you consume in an average day?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many calories do you consume in an average day?

• 0-400
    • 401-600
    • 601-800
    • 801-1000
    • 1001-1200
    • 1201-1400
    • 1401-1600
    • 1601-1800
    • 1801-2000
    • More than 2000

I stopped counting several months ago, however in the beginning 800-1000, then the last six to eight months around 1500-1600 a day.

Its worked extremely well for me. In my two year, four month journey

I have gone from a portly 430, and a BMI of 55 to a butt kicking 200 pounds, with a 22 BMI, (6ft 2). and have had no problems maintaining.

I;ve used FitDay program since last May; average is UNDER 1400 calories....

I have gained nearly 4# over that time frame. Consternation and annoyance.....

Still, I'm down from 46 pants to ALMOST 42 'relax fit'....and I've added 3 belt holes....

NSVs abound; my internist is unhappy; my surgeon is not thrilled; I'm ecstatic, no insulin, no CPAP....

I don't know if you know this, but CPAP helps you burn more calories while you sleep b/c it increases your oxygen levels. Lots of people lose weight when they start it b/c of that. I am getting ready to start with one b/c of severe apnea. I am waking up 94 times an hour and stopping breathing 54. My doc said I can expect to burn 300-500 extra calories per day with the machine.

My doc told me between 600-800 calories and to get a minimum of 45g of Protein.

I track everything on fitday.com now. I spent two weeks after my first fill with no weight loss; and tht was frustrating. I finally get to eat real food and I don't lose weight?!?! I went to fitday.com and plugged in my food and found out why. I was still under 1000 calories but 1/2 of that was from fat. I just wasn't making good choices.

I aim for 600 and am ok as long as I don't go over 800. I too wonder if this is really enough food. I get real hungry by the next meal but don't feel week or tired any more.

How do you calculate your basal metabolic rate? I know my metabolism is dead :0(

After Wasabubblebutt told me i was most likely under-estimating my calories (even with fitday) i went out an bought a scale that weighs my food and give me calorie - fat - Protein etc of my food. I think this is going to help me as I agree with "was" it's real easy to under estimate what is 4 oz - 3oz etc... So we will see how i do this next week...

I am aiming for 1000 to 1200 calorie a day - If i don't loose weight on this then I will have to decrease - also I plan to exercise 4 - 5 times a week.

I try to get at least 800 calories, but sometimes just barely make it over 680 calories. This has worked for me. I have lost 57.9 pounds since April 30, 2007, since being banded. Good Luck.

I am not sure how accurate this is , but this site calculates how many calories you burn a day based on height, weight, age and level of activity.

Free Calorie Counter - Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator

It says I burn over 2000 calories just lying in bed!

If you believe that one - I have a bridge for you ;)

Actually, I believe there is some truth to that. The body needs X number of calories just to survive (breathe, repair muscle, digest, etc.). What X is depends on how big you are, how sedentary and I'm sure other factors. For my weight and my "lifestyle", I need about 1800 calories to just live. So no matter what, I'm going to keep my cals below that number until I reach my goal weight.

Actually, I believe there is some truth to that. The body needs X number of calories just to survive (breathe, repair muscle, digest, etc.). What X is depends on how big you are, how sedentary and I'm sure other factors. For my weight and my "lifestyle", I need about 1800 calories to just live. So no matter what, I'm going to keep my cals below that number until I reach my goal weight.

Cherry

I don't trust these kind of sites - I think to get a REAL metobolic rate is to has it done at the doctors. You are right about weight etc - but i wouldn't bet the farm on a site like that...

Cherry

I don't trust these kind of sites - I think to get a REAL metobolic rate is to has it done at the doctors. You are right about weight etc - but i wouldn't bet the farm on a site like that...

I don't think anyone is asking you to bet a farm on that particular site. But the concept is quite accurate. For someone my size it takes around 1800 calories just to wake up daily, breathe, and function. That's an average, not specifics. If you want specifics then by all means, go to your doctor. Otherwise, these are averages and I don't think anyone was claiming anything different.

It's true. I probably eat 2000 cals a day but I still lose at least a pound per week. It's because I'm bigger and I'm going to get away with it as long as my body lets me. I have a lot of room to go down if I stop losing.

I wonder if the number of calories you consume in a day effects hairloss

Might be a good poll to start. You could ask:

If you experience(d) Hair loss after banding, how many calories did you typically consume in an average day after the post op diet was complete?

0-400,

401-600,

601-800,

Etc.

Losing hair, I average around 1400 a day.

I wanted to see the poll results, and now I'm wondering how quickER I would lose if I go under 1,000. Hum..

And asked my doc Monday about what they suggest for Hair loss, they said Biotin. So I bought a 500mg dose (says 1,667% of daily value WOW.. guess you can't overdose) yesterday and started taking it last night. Fingers crossed.. they said if it doesn't work, at least I'll have pretty nails. Hurmph.

I am not sure how accurate this is , but this site calculates how many calories you burn a day based on height, weight, age and level of activity.

Free Calorie Counter - Calories Burned, BMI, BMR & RMR Calculator

My doc said I burn probably 1100 calories a day by doing nothing...but not much more than that. I notice that I only lose weight when I'm eating 800-900 calories a day - I keep track of my intake faithfully every day, and for the past few weeks I've been around 1200-1300, I'm not gaining, but I'm definitely not losing. I'm aiming to get with the program again and keep below 900.