Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Calories Do You Consume On An AVERAGE Day?

How many calories do you consume in an average day?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many calories do you consume in an average day?

• 0-400
    • 401-600
    • 601-800
    • 801-1000
    • 1001-1200
    • 1201-1400
    • 1401-1600
    • 1601-1800
    • 1801-2000
    • More than 2000

Hmmm... I am doing Weight Watchers and trying to stick to 25 points a day

25 WW pts = 1250 cals.... its 50 cals per point.

:tongue:

Thanks peaches!!! I don't know if I could get that much in w/o eating bad stuff. I average 600-800 calories; I can get close to 1000 if I go for Mexican food though :tongue:

Especially with WW - the better you eat the more you get to eat!

wombat

If you have a weight watchers sliding scale to figure points, you'll see it AVERAGES about 50 calories per point, but can range from 50 to 70 per point if the food is higher in fat and lower in Fiber.< /p>

So if your points are coming from higher fat food then, you might be consuming more calories thatn you think, which can slow weight loss.

I went to my WLC yesterday and saw the dietician as part of my visit. When we were discussing my diet, she was really clear that I should be aiming to get all of my nutritional needs met and indicated for the most part, I should be aiming to NOT go lower than about 1200 calories per day, in order to eat a well balanced, nutritionally sound diet. According to the poll results here, more than 45% of respondents are eating less than what is nutritionally sound. I have also read over and over again that people have been told not to eat more than 800-1000 calories per day by their WLC. I have to admit that I have been trying to stay around 1000 to 1200 a day myself.

My WLC does not do self pay and is totally funded by provincial health care (I am Canadian but as far as I can "read" am in the only province in the country that pays for the surgery and after care for some patients). I wonder if that impacts the information given by the clinic about diet? For example, because my clinic isn't self-pay, they are not invested in "as quick" weight loss, so therefore focus more on getting all your nutritional requirements met. What do people think?

The amount of calories each person needs can vary because of their age and level of activity. My nutritionist is fine with me having 800 to 1000 calories a day, if i keep my Protein level to at least 50 to 70 gms a day. She even thold me it was ok to have an occassional lower calorie day, like after a fill, where I might not be very hungry, as long as I consumed a high Protein Drink or two that day.

A person that might have a very active job, would require more average daily calories and a higher protein level than mine.

Unfortunately, the medical professionals don;t always have time for individual analysis, so they take a general range and make a one size fits all approach.

I am 11 days out of surgery. I have been consuming 600-800-calories a day plus my 60 grms. of Protein. I have lost 11 lbs in 11 days. How long will this last? I guess when the swelling goes down from the surgery the weight loss will slow down..

Sandy Beach: enjoy the rapid weight loss, while it lasts! It almost always slows down and then you'll be on the forum asking why you have stopped losing weight.

It's just part of the process we go through. As your post op diet progresses and your calorie intake goes up a little and your diet changes to more solid food, your weight loss will change. some people even gain weight. Once you are healed, your Dr will start the fill process and until you get good restriction, losing weight can be slow. Exercise, drinking your Water, tracking your Protein will help at every phase of being banded.

I am glad you did this thread. I was banded on 11/28/2007 and have currently lost 51 lbs. but during the past 10 days it seems the scale has not moved. I went on vacation and only excercised 2 days out of 7. I am very upset about the lack of weightloss. Someone at a support group meeting said you should not be plat. this soon. Is there something wrong with me? First I though it was the lack of excercise and then I someone told me that I was not eating enough calories. I am so confused. Any suggestions? I average about 500 calories, 28 carbs (18 carbs from 1 pack of sugar free oatmeal), 11 g fat, and 40 g Protein. I will do anything to reach my goal? VERY FRUSTRATED.

I am glad you did this thread. I was banded on 11/28/2007 and have currently lost 51 lbs. but during the past 10 days it seems the scale has not moved. I went on vacation and only excercised 2 days out of 7. I am very upset about the lack of weightloss. Someone at a support group meeting said you should not be plat. this soon. Is there something wrong with me? First I though it was the lack of excercise and then I someone told me that I was not eating enough calories. I am so confused. Any suggestions? I average about 500 calories, 28 carbs (18 carbs from 1 pack of sugar free oatmeal), 11 g fat, and 40 g Protein. I will do anything to reach my goal? VERY FRUSTRATED.

OMG. Eat something! Most people on this thread are eating between 800 to 1200 calories a day. IMHO, 500 calories is not enough food. Your weight loss (on the scale) is going to start and stop no matter what you do. You have lost something like 5 pounds a week (that's amazing). The band literature says to expect a 1- to 3-pounds a week loss. Give your body a chance to catch up. Relax.

I didn't realize that I would have to count calories. I thought the band would do the work for me. I'm not good dieting that's why I'm fat. I knew I would eat healthy but count calories. Boy was I stupid.

I didn't realize that I would have to count calories. I thought the band would do the work for me. I'm not good dieting that's why I'm fat. I knew I would eat healthy but count calories. Boy was I stupid.
Jill - I don't think you have to count calories. When I first started I just made sure my portions were ~1/2-3/4 cup. I started getting more interested in meeting nutritional requirements when my hair started falling out. I thought I probably needed more Protein, or perhaps other nutrients.

I have days (weeks) when I don't track my eating, but I make more progress (ie., have greater weightloss) when I'm tracking my food.< /p>

I am 11 days out of surgery. I have been consuming 600-800-calories a day plus my 60 grms. of Protein. I have lost 11 lbs in 11 days. How long will this last? I guess when the swelling goes down from the surgery the weight loss will slow down..

Yes, the WL is great while you are on liquids. But please don't be discouraged when this slows down... and it will once you progress to solid food. Before your 6 wk checkup - fill... you'll be complaining about being in BANDSTER HELL... that's where your "old normal" appetite comes back but you have yet to find the restriction needed to eat only 800 - 1000 cals per day.

how many now?
Jill - I don't think you have to count calories. When I first started I just made sure my portions were ~1/2-3/4 cup. I started getting more interested in meeting nutritional requirements when my hair started falling out. I thought I probably needed more protein, or perhaps other nutrients.

I have days (weeks) when I don't track my eating, but I make more progress (ie., have greater weightloss) when I'm tracking my food.< /p>

I too didn't track cals for quite awhile, but I always tracked my protien - as I was concerned about Hair loss and basic health.

But now I find that I was cheating the band by eating JUNK, which goes down really easily even WHEN restricted... so I am back to writing what I BITE... and staying accountable...