Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Does It Feel Like?

I am really keen to know what it feels like to have the band inside you? You go in, wake up and then how would you describe it? Besides when you eat and knowing its on your stomach can you feel it?

Is it really quite painful in the first few days or just uncomfortable?

Thanks!

For me all I feel is the port in my belly.

I don't feel anything......the port sticks like a 1/2 golf ball right under my skin, but I'm used to that....

oh really! well that is certainly good to know! I wondered if it might be like a permenantly tight feeling in your stomach, or the port might either stick out a bit or you would be able to literally feel it in you and under your skin...i've never had an operation before so just really curious as to what it is like once its done.

The port is intended to to be anchored to your abdominal muscle, under the layers of fat and finally skin.....as you loose belly fat the port moves closer to the layers of skin.....

I have lost all my belly fat, and that area is tight...so my port is pressed tight between the muscle and skin, my port is very exposed and can plainly be seen....

i do not feel the band and i can feel a slight (hardness) where my port is...and the more weight i lose, the more it is more visible.and that DOES NOT bother me...(my battle scar/symbol) of my winning the fight again super morbid obesity..

why does it not bother me...because 17 months ago, i was looking at my stomach and looking like i was 2 yrs pregnant with 56 kids inside..i will take a slight bugle over living with a stomach that size any day.

as for how the band feels, you don't feel it or are even aware of it until your first few fills. I don't think I was aware of mine until my third fill. I was in the office after getting the fill done sipping my Water to make sure it went down and I felt the restriction for the first time. it was quite a feeling. from that point on you are very aware of the band, not because you feel it but you feel it doing it's job. if you eat too fast it lets you know. if you eat too much it will let you know. and the way it lets you know..... it comes back up. i have heard a lot of people have problems like total restriction or acid reflux or pressure, I have had all of them too and it just takes time to get your fills just right. I am lucky to have my Dr relatively close to me in proximity, any problems and I can go to their office to have an adjustment. honestly if I could have done it differently I would have, the sleeve wasn't avail when I had my procedure, would I have done it? probably not. my dr wasn't too keen on it due to the shape your stomach becomes, said more chance for reflux due to the cylindrical shape. ru en y? yes I think I would have done the actual bypass. but I made my choice and I work with it the best I can. like I said I have had problems and I am still dealing with them. one habit I started was eating lots of small meals. the portion is under control (usually I can only eat about 1/2 a sandwich or maybe an egg at one time) , but the amount of small meals is way too high. carolinagirl had some great words of encouragement and advice and I thank her for that. she doesn't know me or owe me anything but support and comradely from this group is invaluable. wow, I'm sorry to have gone on so much, thanks for letting me open up.... good luck whatever journey you take

Hi there, same as Carolina -- cannot feel it inside me but I can feel the port under my skin. Sometimes I put my hand there to remind myself of this amazing step I've taken toward good health and happiness. Feeling a lot of both those things and I'm only a month banded! Best wishes to you!

At first, it hurst like h#ll. I'm not going to lie to you. After day 4 or 5 you don't feel anything except the port when you touch the area; after you've lost significant weight, the port will protrude - I am experiencing this now...I can nearly grasp mine - LOL.

looking like i was 2 yrs pregnant with 56 kids inside..i will take a slight bugle over living with a stomach that size any day.

OMG CG! That was great! Thanks for the laugh this morning I feel like that sometimes and what a nightmare having 56 kids would be! I want to dis-own the 3 that I have now!

I didn’t have much pain after the surgery. The only thing I feel is the port, and mostly because I have very little torso so it hits into my desk and my seatbelt and the waist of my pants and bra sometimes can be uncomfortable.

What goes on inside your body you don’t feel at all. You will feel the wounds from the surgery and you may feel some sharp pain from the gas that’s used during the surgery.

Give yourself some TLC after the surgery, prepare before you go in and have things on hand like gas-ex strips, a warm Water bottle or heating pad to put under your shoulders and back if you have those gas pains. Ice packs to place on the wounds and the port site help tremendously and if you really can’t take the pain or can’t sleep take your pain meds. I was fine with just Tylenol and nothing stronger.

Warm tea to drink in the first few days was a comfort for digestion as well as frozen ice pops.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you do!

I am really keen to know what it feels like to have the band inside you? You go in, wake up and then how would you describe it? Besides when you eat and knowing its on your stomach can you feel it?

Is it really quite painful in the first few days or just uncomfortable?

Thanks!

Everyone will have different experiences, it all depends on how your body reacts to the band, and how well your surgeon installs it.

That being said, MOST people do have some discomfort days after surgery, the most complaints are port pain and feeling like you've been run over by a truck since trauma has been done to your stomach.

Most NORMAL discomfort will subside within a few days or by 4-6 weeks post op. Most people have gas-x to help with abdominal pain, and pain meds, and walking helps to relieve pain post op.

Anything out of the ordinary would be frequent vomiting, or redness at the port site and extreme pain.

Can you feel the band inside your body? No, however many people can feel their ports, some ports are more visible than others, I have a low profile port and I can't see it or hardly feel it, I've had two bands, with my first band, I could easily see my big port and easily feel it....

I am so happy I have a new low profile port.

Good luck!

I don't feel anything... I can feel my port if I press on it.

My band does "girggle" very loudly sometimes but it does't hurt.. for me it's just my band saying "hey I'm here dong my job."

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

I don't believe anyone can feel the band as it is a belt around the stomach. Many of us can however see and feel our ports depending on the position it is in and how much weight we have lost. Nothing to worry about though.

I could feel my band for about the first week after surgery. I was hyper aware of it. It didn't hurt, it was just super present. As my swelling went down, that sensation abated and I don't feel it anymore.

I don't get much gurgling. A little whisper, on a rare occasion. I guess my band doesn’t have much to say to me. :)