Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Eat And What Not To Eat That Is The Question?

I had my sleeve in September. I was told that I wasn't allowed hardly any carbs – just stay away from bread, Pasta , potatoes, oatmeal, fruits and I was only allowed little to no veggies… It has been hard because I never seem to really get a straight answer from the nutritionist at the doctors office. I am to have less than 30 carbs total. So, I try not to think about even thinking about any non-approved food. I'm okay on the bread pasta and potato front… I knew what I was signing up for but, no oatmeal for Breakfast is somewhat illogical to me because it's always something that is supposedly healthy for us.

A Friend of mine who also is on this board says she wasn't given those kind restrictions at all and she eats it almost every morning? She was given a diet based on a caloric intake – mine was based off of Protein and carbs. I see other people talking about eating dehydrated fruit and vegetables and it sounds Great! I know every doctors different but there should be a semi universal diet for all that are sleeved right? I would appreciate hey Information/handbooks/whatever to help me figure out this dilemma. My weight-loss has stopped which I came to expect but I'm actually gaining weight now....

What's crazy today is I received the handout that promoted regular butter and cream and things of that nature… Full fat items that I would not read at all or hardly ever and it's the dietitian that I have is completely straight Adkins – or so she said. Even the Atkins bars which they sell in the store at the doctors office makes no sense because they have a lot of carbs as well…

I would appreciate any help or guidance. I can't afford to see another dietitian I've already seen this one three times and didn't get really any questions answered or information from her.

Thanks so much.

My postop diet is mainly based on Protein & being low-ish on carbs, but definitely not as low as 30g per day. I'll be 6 months out on the 19th. I eat green vegetables every day & occasionally a higher carb vegetable like squash or sweet potato. I generally stay away from bread, Pasta, & rice, as well as super carby vegetables like corn. I average around 80-100g of Protein, and 70-ish grams of carbs (mostly complex & unrefined carbs). I use olive oil a lot, eat regular cheese, & Greek yogurt. I haven't tried oatmeal yet, but if I did I would probably not choose the packaged oatmeal with flavors, because I think those are probably full of sugar. I would cook plain oats & flavor it with some stevia & apple pie spice, and maybe add pecans for extra protein, or even some Protein powder.

Edited by southernsoul

My postop diet is mainly based on Protein & being low-ish on carbs, but definitely not as low as 30g per day. I'll be 6 months out on the 19th. I eat green vegetables every day & occasionally a higher carb vegetable like squash or sweet potato. I generally stay away from bread, Pasta, & rice, as well as super carby vegetables like corn. I average around 80-100g of Protein, and 70-ish grams of carbs (mostly complex & unrefined carbs). I use olive oil a lot, eat regular cheese, & Greek yogurt. I haven't tried oatmeal yet, but if I did I would probably not choose the packaged oatmeal with flavors, because I think those are probably full of sugar. I would cook plain oats & flavor it with some stevia & apple pie spice, and maybe add pecans for extra protein, or even some Protein Powder.< /p>

That was one of my ideas – I've heard of that powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is a good positive product and I was thinking of putting it in the oatmeal & going that route… I'm not a big Oatmeal person means but I figured it was a good way to add protein too, then there is the fact that t's a good source of Fiber as well.

I tried Greek yogurt one stands I was not understand unfortunately… I'm not too sure what route to go there. I'm just trying to think of some healthy breakfast ideas that are uncomplicated and things that I can make for my father too.

My doctor and the person that does his nutrition just has me extremely confused and I'm trying to figure out away to go on a short budget

There is no standard postop diet, except for some big points like Protein, Water, and exercise. You'd think there would be. But then not all diet plans work for everyone, either. My nut gave me daily grams of protein (80), carbs (60) and fat(30). No calorie limit. I have been happy with my nut, the weight is coming off, so I can't disagree with her plan. It is hard when you are second guessing and not comfortable with your plan.

There is no standard postop diet, except for some big points like Protein, Water, and exercise. You'd think there would be. But then not all diet plans work for everyone, either. My nut gave me daily grams of Protein (80), carbs (60) and fat(30). No calorie limit. I have been happy with my nut, the weight is coming off, so I can't disagree with her plan. It is hard when you are second guessing and not comfortable with your plan.

I was told not to focus on calories or fat just on protein 80-90 grams and keeping the carbs low- under 30. I try hard to make sure my protein levels are up there… Maybe this is difficult for me because I've always been accustomed to eating lowfat items. I grown accustomed to making sure I need protein, which I never did before. But, I actually gaining weight but eating things like tuna, Turkey or chicken, salmon, eggs. I also love fruits and vegetables but by the time I get my protein, I don't have room for veggies and I was told that fruits not allowed because of the carb count. I've given the nutritionist multiple opportunities and each time I had to pay for them… I can't afford it and she's never really focused on doing her job and I feel like I get a half assed session… There are nutritionists San Antonio but they don't necessarily focus on a bariatric diet and secondly, I can't afford them. I'm just trying to figure out what the best thing to do is.

Natalie

My doctor did not give me any specifics on grams of carbs, just to stay in the 800 calories per day range. Before the sleeve I have oatmeal almost every morning. Since after the surgery we really have to stress Protein I usually have the high Protein (I think its about 10 grams of protein) instant quaker oats maybe 1 per week only (because its so high in carbs). On other mornings I have either a scrambled egg or 1/2 cup of 1% friendship cottage cheese with a few blueberries or a non fat plain greek yogurt sweetened with stevia. All of these are high protein options.

My doctor did not give me any specifics on grams of carbs, just to stay in the 800 calories per day range. Before the sleeve I have oatmeal almost every morning. Since after the surgery we really have to stress Protein I usually have the high protein (I think its about 10 grams of protein) instant quaker oats maybe 1 per week only (because its so high in carbs). On other mornings I have either a scrambled egg or 1/2 cup of 1% friendship cottage cheese with a few blueberries or a non fat plain greek yogurt sweetened with stevia. All of these are high protein options.

Blow my thoughts were to add that 18 package to the Oprah – I can't remember what it's called off the top my head but I've heard that it's good – Unjury? So protien powder that apparently doesn't taste like anything… I thought I have yet to get oatmeal for me. I'm disabled and I just really to me for myself and my father.

I wasn't getting any straight answers about diet. I've been having trouble stabilizing blood sugar. Had a glucose tolerance test down a couple weeks ago. After 1 hr it was 352, than 1/2 hr later 158, then at 2 hrs 117. I was told by my internist that is diabetic. The nutritionist where I work said I should eat the same time every day and have a few snack of a good carb and Protein together. Like apple/peanut butter , whole wheat crackers /cheese, almonds too. I'm still fighting the "shakes" between eating. I've crashed a few times and the I search for candy to get the sugar up...feels like I'm going to die...then my levels are out of wack again. I've emailed my sleeve dr a couple times and have gotten no response. I 6 months out, lost 100 pounds (60 before sleeve ). Very confused and frustrated. Have not lost anything in 3 months! ;(

Edited by mistysj

I wasn't getting any straight answers about diet. I've been having trouble stabilizing blood sugar. Had a glucose tolerance test down a couple weeks ago. After 1 hr it was 352, than 1/2 hr later 158, then at 2 hrs 117. I was told by my internist that is diabetic. The nutritionist where I work said I should eat the same time every day and have a few snack of a good carb and Protein together. Like apple/peanut butter , whole wheat crackers /cheese, almonds too. I'm still fighting the "shakes" between eating. I've crashed a few times and the I search for candy to get the sugar up...feels like I'm going to die...then my levels are out of wack again. I've emailed my sleeve dr a couple times and have gotten no response. I 6 months out, lost 100 pounds (60 before sleeve ). Very confused and frustrated. Have not lost anything in 3 months! ;(

Get a glucose tester at a pharmacy or wal mart. You can send off for a free meter from the major brands (One Touch, Accuchek), just look on their websites. They make the money from the test strips. You don't need a prescription and your insurance may cover some of the cost of the strips. Test your glucose two hours AFTER starting to eat. This is the best indicator of blood sugar control and the impact of different foods on your levels. You can test first thing in the morning before getting out of bed to get a fasting level. Keep track for a month and show your doctor. The strips add up so after the month you can do spot checks or adopt a rotating schedule (fasting one day, after breakfast the next, after lunch the next, and so on).

117 is not really bad for a two-hour reading. Under 120 is considered controlled, but under 90 is considered normal non-diabetic. Anything between 80 and 110 is pretty darn good. You can also test yourself during your "low" feelings. If you are not going below a reading of 70 you don't really need to try to treat it with sugar or candy. It's amazing how we can feel "low" when in fact we are at an acceptable blood glucose level. Our bodies and heads play tricks on us.

As for diet, if you are post-op, it will be pretty easy to stick to a diet that is therapeutic for type 2 diabetics or those at risk. Protein first, 60+ grams a day. Try to stay below 150 grams of carbs, spread evenly throughout the day. It seems low, but it's pretty easy for a post-op. If you are pre-op, see if you can stay below 200 grams of carbs, again spread out.

Get a glucose tester at a pharmacy or wal mart. You can send off for a free meter from the major brands (One Touch, Accuchek), just look on their websites. They make the money from the test strips. You don't need a prescription and your insurance may cover some of the cost of the strips. Test your glucose two hours AFTER starting to eat. This is the best indicator of blood sugar control and the impact of different foods on your levels. You can test first thing in the morning before getting out of bed to get a fasting level. Keep track for a month and show your doctor. The strips add up so after the month you can do spot checks or adopt a rotating schedule (fasting one day, after breakfast the next, after lunch the next, and so on).

117 is not really bad for a two-hour reading. Under 120 is considered controlled, but under 90 is considered normal non-diabetic. Anything between 80 and 110 is pretty darn good. You can also test yourself during your "low" feelings. If you are not going below a reading of 70 you don't really need to try to treat it with sugar or candy. It's amazing how we can feel "low" when in fact we are at an acceptable blood glucose level. Our bodies and heads play tricks on us.

As for diet, if you are post-op, it will be pretty easy to stick to a diet that is therapeutic for type 2 diabetics or those at risk. Protein first, 60+ grams a day. Try to stay below 150 grams of carbs, spread evenly throughout the day. It seems low, but it's pretty easy for a post-op. If you are pre-op, see if you can stay below 200 grams of carbs, again spread out.

Thanks for your advice. I will definitely try that. My Dr emailed me and said to try and stay under 100 gms carbs and spread them out. At least I have a number now.

My surgeon and NUT have me on a very strict diet. I am to have 3 meals a day each at 4oz of food with absolutely no snacking. I used to need around 60-80 grams of Protein a day but after a month out it was reduced to 45 grams per day. I always have to get in at least 64 oz of Fluid a day, either Water or calorie-free and sugar-free option. My big guideline is to observe the "5% rule" none of my meals can have more than 5% of my daily recommended fat or carbs. They do not focus on calories assuming that the 5% rule is followed my calories should be ok. I'm out 90 days and down 65 lbs. i do struggle with getting calories since i'm only allowed 3 4oz meals a day. Same with me on food restriction. No pasta/rice, very limited veggies no fruit.

My surgeon and NUT have me on a very strict diet. I am to have 3 meals a day each at 4oz of food with absolutely no snacking. I used to need around 60-80 grams of Protein a day but after a month out it was reduced to 45 grams per day. I always have to get in at least 64 oz of Fluid a day, either Water or calorie-free and sugar-free option. My big guideline is to observe the "5% rule" none of my meals can have more than 5% of my daily recommended fat or carbs. They do not focus on calories assuming that the 5% rule is followed my calories should be ok. I'm out 90 days and down 65 lbs. i do struggle with getting calories since i'm only allowed 3 4oz meals a day. Same with me on food restriction. No pasta/rice, very limited veggies no fruit.< /p>

Can't do three meals a day... Blood sugar goes too low.

The body does not require carbohydrates to live properly.

The body does require Protein and fat.

That said, if you do not have any diabetes or pre-diabetes carbs are not as critical to restrict.

Atkins bars are tricky. They contain sugar alcohols and according to Atkins diet planning do not count towards carb count.....neither does the Fiber. I find sugar alcohols do count towards my carb count as well as provide side effects that cause me uncontrolled diarrhea.

If your NUT is one you trust....trust. If not, find another that is less Atkins in his/her approach.

I did spend quite some time eating red meat only and lived just fine on ZERO carbs for over a year. it is really what you can modify in your diet and live with LONG-TERM. Otherwise it is nothing but a quick fix that will not be followed and weight regain will occur. I know all about this.

I had my sleeve in September. I was told that I wasn't allowed hardly any carbs – just stay away from bread, Pasta , potatoes, oatmeal, fruits and I was only allowed little to no veggies… It has been hard because I never seem to really get a straight answer from the nutritionist at the doctors office. I am to have less than 30 carbs total. So, I try not to think about even thinking about any non-approved food. I'm okay on the bread Pasta and potato front… I knew what I was signing up for but, no oatmeal for Breakfast is somewhat illogical to me because it's always something that is supposedly healthy for us.

A Friend of mine who also is on this board says she wasn't given those kind restrictions at all and she eats it almost every morning? She was given a diet based on a caloric intake – mine was based off of Protein and carbs. I see other people talking about eating dehydrated fruit and vegetables and it sounds Great! I know every doctors different but there should be a semi universal diet for all that are sleeved right? I would appreciate hey Information/handbooks/whatever to help me figure out this dilemma. My weight-loss has stopped which I came to expect but I'm actually gaining weight now....

What's crazy today is I received the handout that promoted regular butter and cream and things of that nature… Full fat items that I would not read at all or hardly ever and it's the dietitian that I have is completely straight Adkins – or so she said. Even the Atkins bars which they sell in the store at the doctors office makes no sense because they have a lot of carbs as well…
I would appreciate any help or guidance. I can't afford to see another dietitian I've already seen this one three times and didn't get really any questions answered or information from her.
Thanks so much.