Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Find Yourself Emotional Before Surgery?

I am scheduled two weeks from today and the last several days I find that I get emotional pretty easy. I'm nervous, excited, scared.....all of the above but I do cry a lot lately. I keep thinking about how my life is getting ready to change and I do get emotional. It's been such a struggle and I have felt so fat and ugly for so long and I'm finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I know this will be a tough journey but I'm ready. Anybody else going through this?

i absolutley went through this and im sure most if not all of us do. It is a major permanent life change. its totally normal so hang in there! i also began to cry when i got up on the operating table.... good luck to you!

You got it. Very emotional and it's understandable, this is a huge life change you're about to make.

I almost backed out...multiple times, including in admitting the day of surgery. Then I remembered all the reasons why I decided to do this in the first place.

It will be a roller coaster and not just before surgery. Expect similar feelings immediately after - for 3 days, I wondered why I went thru it. On Day 4, I was feeling better and getting used to the idea (what choice did I have, right?).

One thing I realized - I am a lot stronger, physically and mentally, than I thought I was. You'll find out the same thing.

You got this. Best of luck!

Deep breath.

Head down.

You got this.

(we were all the same, honey :) )

I think everyone goes through this. I would be worried if you didn't! You can do this.. I have faith in you <3

I did! However I was more excited than emotional.....at first. I went through a scared period where I was afraid for my husband and son to be alone with out me. But its all normal I found out. Just before surgery I was just excited focused and a rock." I was gonna do this shitted"!! I was going in with my head in the game and so will you! Good luck your life is about to change for the better! :)

I freaked out before surgery. I think the doctor's staff would worry about you if you didn't. They were a great help to me.

Then I freaked out and had the "buyer's remorse" a few days after I got home from the hospital, and that was pretty normal too. Again, the office was a great support.

Remember that there's a reason for what you're doing, and a light at the end of the tunnel. The transition period is not easy, and the surgery is on your stomach and not your brain. It took you more than a few days to be overweight, and it's going to take you more than a few days to be thinner.

I still look in the mirror and am surprised, and I still catch myself thinking "I'm too big for that" every once in a while. And I've been down at least 100 for a few months now. I know I still have 30 to go, but I've been just overweight instead of obese for a few months. It feels great!

Best wishes, and breathe!

I was pretty emotional, but held a lot of it in. I am a single mom of a five year old and I did not want to scare her. I was resolved, so I never imagined backing out. But I was on an emotional roller coaster for sure. The idea of having major surgery..changing my life forever. the whole "no going back" idea. Honestly those thoughts lingered for a week or so post op. Yet as every day passes I feel more and more "normal". I wake up, go to work, come home to my daughter and live my life. Yes, I have slightly different routines.. Yes, I eat differently. But it is still my life and not all that much has changed. And what has changed is so much better than before it is certainly not something I regret or miss. I great each new day in my ever changing body with excitement and enthusiasm.. I can't wait to see how this all goes!

I'm scheduled for Monday the 9th and I have had a rollercoaster of emotions with more downs then ups. I feel you on this one. I have just chalked it up to my 2 week pre-op diet which is not fun in itself and the whole idea of change. Lets face it I'm horrible at change, hence one factor to my weight problem. But I just keep saying to myself that a few months ago I wanted this so badly. It was not something i jumped into, I've been on this journey since June. I've done my research and this is the right thing for me. I think that now I'm faced with this life change I'm allowing doubt to creep in. It's spilling into other areas of my life, the doubt is. I have to just remind myself, almost hourly as it draws closer, this is the right thing and I can do this. I refuse to backout and let myself down.

YES! Pretty emotional before,

and you'll likely be pretty emotional after as well.

Lots of changes, not the least of which are hormones!

My surgery will be 12/23, so my liquid diet is coming at me quickly. I thought I might apologize to my dear heart of a boyfriend ahead of time on the first day, for the large possibility that I am going to be cranky and weepy. In the seven years we have been together, he has never once asked me to change anything about myself. He is very tall and "healthy thin", and I am short and round. We look like a pencil and an apple standing together. This upcoming surgery was not his idea, but he has been supportive from the start. I can't bear the thought of being cross with him; he doesn't deserve it. So, I think with fair warning, he can help me through the tears and anxiety. I am soooooo ready to do this.

I'm 5 months out and am still emotional! I can't say this enough to pre op people.

1- no one can prepare you for how hard the first 6 weeks is. It's such a learning process

2- after 6 weeks this lifestyle change becomes second nature.

Today I was I going through old pics on my phone and saw one of myself 2 weeks before surgery and cried. I cried because of how fat I was and how quickly the last 5 months went. All of a sudden I am not fat. I've put in the work but I guess it's just hard to see on yourself. And I feel healthy and fit. It is an amazing feeling.

I made a YouTube blog documenting the last 5 months and I still go back and look at those pre op and first few days videos. My channel is Newlifemelissa if you want to see.

I wish you the very best on this transformation!

Totally understand how you are feeling. The day of my surgery, I burst into tears twice, once when I had to change into my gown, and the second when my surgeon came to talk to me before surgery. I'm sure the staff thought I was insane!! It's such a roller coaster of emotions to go through, just allow yourself to feel them, it's a huge change!! It's normal to feel all of these things, and you will continue to feel them a long your journey, but something cool also happens a long the way, you learn about yourself and your emotional health. It's tied to all of this weight loss, and knowing ourselves helps us to get back in control of things. Don't fret, you will be awesome!!

"No one can prepare you for how hard the first 6 weeks is." Now I'm really scared!

<p>"No one can prepare you for how hard the first 6 weeks is." Now I'm really scared!</p>

Is it harder to BE fat or harder to do something about it? I would rather work harder through the six weeks than live fat forever. You can do this!