Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible Band Complication

After not having insurance that covers the band for a year I finally got insurance that includes bariatrics. I knew I had gained weight but sad reality was it was 40 pounds. Ouch I know. Though please note I do 60 minutes of moderate/intense cardio 7 days a week.

At the end of my appointment the nurse pulled out 7 CC's when there should have been 11 CC's. She sent me for an upper GI and the doctor said there was no where near 11 CC's in there (per nurse some saline could be in the tube). The Barium just flowed right through with no restriction. Went for an Endoscopy no erosion. Had a fill under fluroscopy and there is no leak in the port or tube. Doctor did see though that the contrast /saline was pooling in one section of the band. Which he had never seen before. All leaks he has seen have been in the port or tube.

Seems like an explanation as to why my band is no longer working if the saline is not evenly distributed around the band.

Anyone else have this happen?

No not all leaks are in the port or tubing. I had my port/tubing replaced twice and still had a leak. I had every test known to man to try to locate the leak but they couldn't find it. So they replaced everything about 4 months ago and I am back to having restriction.

I have been told that a leak can't always be located, and while it's common to occur in the tubing or port (especially a slow leak, I was told) it's not impossible that it should occur elsewhere.

Thanks for the info , this is really weird and some of us banders like to hear others experiences just in case , or what to look for if a feeling is not right I so far have not had any problems , I hope they find out what is going on with you tho , good luck and I hope it gets better and gets you back on the band wagon trail.

Good to see Lellow again!

I don't mean to sound like a cynic but I've always been a skeptic when it comes to band CC levels provided by the healthcare staff?

So, Honk, were you not feeling any restriction or satiety lately and that's why she pulled all the saline out?

tmf

No not all leaks are in the port or tubing. I had my port/tubing replaced twice and still had a leak. I had every test known to man to try to locate the leak but they couldn't find it. So they replaced everything about 4 months ago and I am back to having restriction.

I have been told that a leak can't always be located, and while it's common to occur in the tubing or port (especially a slow leak, I was told) it's not impossible that it should occur elsewhere.

How did your insurance handle this? I may need to have my port replaced and am afraid the insurance will not cover any. Mine covered 85% of the band surgery.

Be your own advocate! I have learned this the hard way more than once and not just when it comes to health care but that is the most important time to speak up!

If you think something is not right speak up. Don't just take their word for it, even the best tests can be inconclusive and doctors all have different opinions so get a few if you need to. Don't give up till you feel comfortable and satisfied with the results. This is your health and your LIFE.

Went in to meet with Nurse Practictioner today and she does'nt see anything that indicates a leak. She does not however have an explaination of why I lost 4 cc's over the last year.

NP mentioned she was going to present my case at the departmental meeting and have the surgeons review my upper GI, endoscopy and fluoro.

The loss of saline was discovered when I went in for an appointment and they always check the saline level.

I tried to stay with some lap band serving sizes but admittedly I was making some bad food choices. This would be keeping crackers at my desk for lunch/snacks. Since I work long hours it can be a long time between lunch and dinner. Esp. considering I go to the gym after work.

Before my first meeting with the NP I had banished the carbs from my desk.

I was a little annoyed that she did not comment on my 9 pound loss since my last appointment 21 days ago. I think that's pretty darn good for someone with no band support. As I mentioned earlier I never stopped my exercising. Image how much I would have gained if I had!

Wish I could have lost 9 lbs over Thanksgiving. I gained 4 lbs.

I was met with some resistance after each time my port was replaced when I kept saying I still thought I had a leak. You do need to be your own advocate. You know what a working band feels like. If it's not working like that anymore, you need to find out why, and don't stop until you do. I was the biggest PITA for my doctor, but in the end, I was right about the leak, even though they never found it. I'd still be struggling with no restriction if I had given up, and trust me, there were times I felt like giving up.

My insurance paid for all three surgeries. My band was faulty and they cover revisions due to faulty bands. BUT I am in Australia so it works differently here.

P.S. Hi tmf!!