Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psyche Eval Done. Not What I Was Expecting...did I Fail?

I'm getting closer and closer. Had my second Nutrition visit last Wednesday and today my Psyche Evaluation. I must say it was not what I was expecting. The doctor asked me a series of questions and we spoke very briefly then he handed me a test of 575 true or false questions. I went to another room and completed the test and then handed it to the receptionist. She said "you're through already??" Uhhh yeah, I'm handing it in. She said "It usually takes patients almost 2 hours to finish it. Well, crap, did I screw up my Psyche evaluation? I was through in less than an hour. Should I have been more reflective and contemplative???? OMG, is there a possibility I failed because I wasn't in the norm for test taking??? It was a stupid test with stupid questions of which I am sure they are measuring something but for the life of me, I don't understand what. I was a bit nervous going into this appointment but now I'm freaking out. Has anybody had a similar experience?

I don't think you messed up. It sounds like the test I took. From what I've read, the test is to determine your mental outlook on life. They just want to see if you're going to be able to understand, be realistic, and live with changes that come with bariatric surgery. They are not out to disqualify you, only to make sure you are mentally fit for surgery.

I'm getting closer and closer. Had my second Nutrition visit last Wednesday and today my Psyche Evaluation. I must say it was not what I was expecting. The doctor asked me a series of questions and we spoke very briefly then he handed me a test of 575 true or false questions. I went to another room and completed the test and then handed it to the receptionist. She said "you're through already??" Uhhh yeah, I'm handing it in. She said "It usually takes patients almost 2 hours to finish it. Well, crap, did I screw up my Psyche evaluation? I was through in less than an hour. Should I have been more reflective and contemplative???? OMG, is there a possibility I failed because I wasn't in the norm for test taking??? It was a stupid test with stupid questions of which I am sure they are measuring something but for the life of me, I don't understand what. I was a bit nervous going into this appointment but now I'm freaking out. Has anybody had a similar experience?

Thanks Joatsaint, you are probably right and it is nice to hear the voice of reason. I do realize some of the questions were in regard to drug and alcohol abuse, and if I felt victimized and blamed other people for things. There was really nothing in there about my expectations regarding WLS or anything of that nature. This was a very expensive doctor's visit and I just want to make sure that the results will be used in my best interest.

My office scheduled an hour for the test portion. It took me 15 minutes. I wish they would ask you if you test fast or slow instead of assuming everyone takes the exact same time. I could've slept in at least another 1/2 hour! ;)

I guess that is the trouble with this assembly line surgery. Not a lot of room for individualism.

I completed my psych exam a couple weeks ago on a Friday and received my approval letter on a Monday. It took me a lot less time than the average person because a lot of the questions. Now that I'm on the other side of the exam, I feel like all those questions are trying to determine:

1. Are you mentally stable

2. Do you have potential for an eating disorder

3. Are you realistic

If anything, people who have more issues may take longer because they're unsure of themselves and this huge life change. Not to toot my own horn here, but I was determined to get this procedure done, so I didn't have to think much about my answers.

I think you're fine, but please, keep us posted. ^_^

My psych eval was a good long while ago, and mine did not involve a test. My shrink earned her money by talking to me directly. Comfy_Blue is spot on - especially w/ 1 & 3. Last year when i was on here a lot (before i got denied), i remember seeing a post from someone who was freaked out about NOT passing the psych eval. And I mean she was FREAKED. To the point, I thought - and might have responded this way - that maybe she wasn't really mentally strong enough to take this path.

Look at some of the posts in Post Op forum: this surgery is not for the faint of heart. Beyond the physical challenges and changes, there are plenty of mental ones. Are you going to freak out and bust a stitch when you hit a plateau, or will you persevere? If you consider this as you cruise the Post Op forum, you'll see what I mean.

I just had my psych eval this morning but mine was a little different. When I first arrived they had me complete some new patient paperwork and a small questionnaire with about 50 questions. Shortly thereafter she brought me back to her office, briefly reviewed my responses, and began to ask me a series of questions (eating habits, family life, profession, etc) and she typed each one of my responses into her computer. It was very noninvasive and the entire visit took no more than an hour. In the end, she ultimately advised me that I passed her evaluation and wished me the best of luck. Did they advise you as to whether or not you passed? Did they request any further visits? If not, I wouldn't stress it. I'm sure you'll be fine. It's my understanding the only time they ever deny anyone (which is very rare) is if someone has a strong, obvious history of mental illness. Good luck!!! :)

Look at it this way, you went with your guy and answered the questions honestly, that's exactly what they want!! Same thing happened to me, and I actually asked the doctor if I did something wrong. He told me no, they want you to answer honestly, and for some it takes a lot less time. I wouldn't worry, and congratulations on getting through the test and how far you have come!

Look at it this way, you went with your gut and answered the questions honestly, that's exactly what they want!! Same thing happened to me, and I actually asked the doctor if I did something wrong. He told me no, they want you to answer honestly, and for some it takes a lot less time. I wouldn't worry, and congratulations on getting through the test and how far you have come!

Edited by Nurse_B

Sounds like all or part of the MMPI. The length of the test is based on how fast you read. It appears that the only "problem" here is needing to have the receptionist keep her thoughts to herself!

My psych eval was a good long while ago, and mine did not involve a test. My shrink earned her money by talking to me directly. Comfy_Blue is spot on - especially w/ 1 & 3. Last year when i was on here a lot (before i got denied), i remember seeing a post from someone who was freaked out about NOT passing the psych eval. And I mean she was FREAKED. To the point, I thought - and might have responded this way - that maybe she wasn't really mentally strong enough to take this path.

Look at some of the posts in Post Op forum: this surgery is not for the faint of heart. Beyond the physical challenges and changes, there are plenty of mental ones. Are you going to freak out and bust a stitch when you hit a plateau, or will you persevere? If you consider this as you cruise the Post Op forum, you'll see what I mean.

I was denied a few months ago. That MMPI test is very subjective and any physiatrist can interpret however they chose. Biases can and do occure therefore its reliabilty will always be in question to me. Nothing in infalliable. Look at polygraph tests. There is a such thing as junk science. No this surgery is not for the faint of heart but no test or hour and half interview can determine that. People can lie and tell the psyc doc whatever they want to hear. That's how many who fail the first time just get a second opnion and pass.