Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried This Won't Work...anyone Else?

I'm only 7 days post-op, so I know I shouldn't be thinking like this yet, but I'm starting to think this isn't going to work for me. I'm not going to stop following the instructions I was given; after all its not like I could (or want) to go back to eating the way I was before. However, I don't seem to have lost any weight, my shape is the same, everything fits the same, my face is the same. Not even my boobs have shrunk, which is usually the first thing to go. I am very healthy, had a relatively short recovery (I was driving and back to normal by day 5 and no pain today), and follow all my instructions to the T.

Have I made a horrible mistake? Does anyone else feel like this??

I just had a similar post. I am also 7 days post op and my scale has hardly budged. Like you said I have no desire to go back to the eating habits I had previously but I too was hoping to see a bigger change more quickly.

I'm a newbie so I really haven't been through this yet, but is it possible that you're retaining Water from all of the IV Fluid they pumped into you on the day of your surgery? I've even heard of some people experiencing a gain right after surgery. Please keep us posted.

I'm a newbie so I really haven't been through this yet, but is it possible that you're retaining Water from all of the IV Fluid they pumped into you on the day of your surgery? I've even heard of some people experiencing a gain right after surgery. Please keep us posted.

I would have thought that before surgery, too, but my surgeon said that the IV fluids aren't really retained because the catheter that drains your bladder is constantly emptying, and Fluid is only retained when there isn't enough. I have been going to the bathroom regularly, too, so I know its not that. I also feel like I can take in way more fluid and food than others, though I stick to the recommended amounts.

Hi I'm 65 lbs down since June still have about another 60 to lose --- it will work !!

post-197467-0-51489000-1386016595_thumb.jpg

I was scared at first but remember use it as a weight loss tool you still need to eat the right things and exercise :) yes you can have a bite of a brownie or a taste of ice cream down the road but I have never bought any of it for the house and to tell you the truth I don't miss it if I want something sweet I usually have a taste and that's it . Just remember you still have to work at it and it will come off . Good luck to all!!

So, your surgeon should have told you that they pump a lot of IV fluids in you during the surgery. It can take well over a week for it all to clear, so it is quite common to even appear to have GAINED weight that first week. But you have to know that weight is not fat, but rather fluids. Now, here's the thing. Next week, you will probably lose all of the fluids and so then:

WOW!! I JUST LOST 20 POUNDS IN ONE WEEK!!! THIS SLEEVE IS AWESOME! I'M GOING TO BE AT GOAL IN ABOUT A MONTH!

I have bad news for you. You aren't

Again, it just fluids and now you will be in the phase where the weight you lose is fat and lean muscle (be sure to be getting your Protein in!!) This is where the foot hits the pavement, so be sure to be diligent in following your guidelines. At about the 3 to 4 week point, you may hit a stall. This is totally normal. Search the site regarding the 3rd week stall. You will have many stalls on your journey and this is expected and normal.

So, the good news is that you are completely normal and experiencing everything you are supposed to. Just wait until you start losing the fat and all the hormones start on your system. Go over to the powder Room for lots of threads on that fun!

Good luck and keep posting and reading!

Another perspective...I have lost 160#, does it matter that much how long it took? Have a realistic but optimistic view....

For me the first 2 weeks post surgery I lost much less than I expected to for what I was consuming. My stomach was hugely swollen though and I was definitely retaining fluids. Give yourself more time the pounds will come off. Even if you are able to drink more and have more soft foods then others, I'm sure its no where near what you were able to eat before the surgery. Just continue to concentrate on drinking and eating high Protein items. Soft foods like cottage cheese, greek yogurt, pureed Soups and Protein drinks were pretty much it for the first month.

Im with jane. Forget the race and concentrate on the goal. Time gives you the ability to organize your priorties and learn the new lifestyle its going to take to succeed

I think you also have to remember that it is YOU who decides if the surgery will work or not. The surgery in and of itself will not force you to be successful. You have to put in the work to make it happen.

Hang in there. I am only a few weeks out and some days are easier than others but ultimately I want this. It sounds like you do too as you are taking care of yourself and following doctor's orders. My doc said it is totally normal to retain fluids, so that could be some of what is going on with you now. But hopefully if we keep on the plan and once we can start exercising and getting in the Protein, the hard work will start paying off. It's definitely a journey, but at least we aren't alone. :D Hugs!

I lost 15 pound the first week after surgery. The next two weeks I only lost 3 pounds. So I got super depressed and didn't weight again for a month. During that month I lost 25 pounds! I'm down 51.5 pounds now and I'm 2 months post op!

I'm only 7 days post-op, so I know I shouldn't be thinking like this yet, but I'm starting to think this isn't going to work for me. I'm not going to stop following the instructions I was given; after all its not like I could (or want) to go back to eating the way I was before. However, I don't seem to have lost any weight, my shape is the same, everything fits the same, my face is the same. Not even my boobs have shrunk, which is usually the first thing to go. I am very healthy, had a relatively short recovery (I was driving and back to normal by day 5 and no pain today), and follow all my instructions to the T.

Have I made a horrible mistake? Does anyone else feel like this??

Dear LumpySpacePrincess:

A little tough love here: give yourself a break! If you are following your post op program, you will succeed. One day soon you'll find that you have gone through four sizes of pants, two bra sizes, three blouse sizes. Be sure to hang onto at least one of your truly large outfits. That way when you are discouraged you can try on that outfit and see how much progress you have made!

Good luck on your journey. It's going to be amazing!

Agree with others, you may be desperate to see results but take a big breath in - and breathe out. It took time to put the weight on but it's likely to come off quicker once you start to lose. You are not failing, you are just getting started on a new road.

Your body is in shock, it's just come through major surgery and it's probably got excess Fluid to lose before it starts burning fat like PdxMan told you.

This is a marathon not a sprint so relax, concentrate on getting your Protein and fluids in, keep moving - and don't stress!

The amount of weight loss by the people offering advice to you is phenomenal - and you will be joining them soon. As Indecision says, it's up to you to make this work - all i would add is that you have to work with your sleeve and by sticking to the programme you will get results. Hang in there, it will happen :-)