Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

I don't have Hashimotos, but I am hypothyroid ..... I am female, 47, not yet menopausal, have underactive thyroid and RA.

Gamergirl, are you sure you don't have Hashimoto's? It just means autoimmune disease of the thyroid, rather than some other cause of thyroid failure. As you are diagnosed with one AI condition (RA), it's highly likely you'd have more, and Hashimoto's is the most common one. I believe Hashimoto's, Coeliac disease, Diabetes and RA share a genetic profile... Involve the same gene/s.

You need to have a biopsy of the thyroid to confirm there are auto antibodies in the thyroid tissue.

I don't think it makes a jot of difference to the way your thyroid function is treated, but can be useful for doctors to know if you have a single AI condition or a "systemic" one.

I don't really know. I will ask my PCP next time I see her. I do know that my levothyroxin dose has been reduced twice since the surgery, so if the gland were well and truly dead, I'm assuming that wouldn't happen?

Good point though, I should ask.

A lot of endocrinologists are now saying that if you are hypothyroid (symptom) then you have about a 90% chance of it being from Hashimotos. I have been hypothyroid for about 32 years, but not officially diagnosed as Hashis until 3 years ago. I've been working on improving my health (and specifically my thyroid health) the last 10 months. The book "Stop the Thyroid Madness" has been a huge help.

I have had hypothyroid for about 12 years. My meds were lowered right around my surgery date. I was re-checked 3 months out and was so out of range my doc thought I stopped taking my synthroid. At this point I started feeling really tired. They put me back on the previous dose and I started feeling better and my levels were improving but not yet back to normal. I believe the problem is that due to the Vitamins that are required, the synthroid needs to be taken separately to be effective. I'm being re-tested this week so we'll how its going. I've also been losing quite a bit of hair. I had this about 10 years ago likely do to the hypothyroidism but you can't really know for sure. Hair loss can also be associated with the weight loss due to the lowering of estrogen levels. Women store estrogen in fat and when you have signifficant weight loss, estrogen levels fall and can reslut in hair loss. I'm not going bald just have lots in the drain in the shower.

I have Hashi's, and I read another thread recently that someone else with Hashi's was sent to the cardiologist because she was having heart palpitations that she thought were related to her Hashi's. In her case, he said no and sent her to the bariatric surgeon for the sleeve to help get her thyroid under control. I've not heard of that connection before, but it was exciting to think there might be that kind of positive benefit. (If I run across that thread again, I'll come back with a link.)

I'm glad I found this thread. I have Hashimoto's and fully expect to not lose weight as fast as some others when I finally get the surgery. I was diagnosed with hypo about 18 years ago, and diagnosed with Hashi's about 7 years ago. Finally everything made sense, ya know? Nice to connect with others going through the same.

I had both Graves and Hashimoto's, the results above give positive evidence. Remember recent studies have pointed to several culprit's of our diet being contributors. So this step is an amazing tool because it will give your metabolism just the kick in the pants it needs. I was sleeved on the 30th and I feel amazing! And I've lost 15lbs since surgery. Having your TSH tested is critical! Well wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm soo happy to find this app! I'm 2 weeks from sleeve surgery and diagnosed with Hashi for 5 years. I was worried about the weight loss, but happy to hear that it still works!

Sent from my P008 using the BariatricPal App

Hi. I found this thread through another thread. Can I just be super blunt here? From reading all of these comments in sounds to me that eating very little is what needs to happen for anyone to loose the weight (Hypo, Hashi, AF myself). If the point is to starve yourself then why bother to get a major surgery and risk complications? Starvation is the ONLY way I have ever lost weight in the past. I am not trying to be sassy but just being real. Comments? Thoughts? Contemplation? I have reached a breaking point with my body's failure to cooperate with trying to get the weight off with lots of exercise and calorie counting plus clean eating.

Hi. I found this thread through another thread. Can I just be super blunt here? From reading all of these comments in sounds to me that eating very little is what needs to happen for anyone to loose the weight (Hypo, Hashi, AF myself). If the point is to starve yourself then why bother to get a major surgery and risk complications? Starvation is the ONLY way I have ever lost weight in the past. I am not trying to be sassy but just being real. Comments? Thoughts? Contemplation? I have reached a breaking point with my body's failure to cooperate with trying to get the weight off with lots of exercise and calorie counting plus clean eating.

"Starving yourself" is unsustainable. Your body will up your hunger hormones and lower your metabolism in an attempt to gain weight. Surgery allows you to feel satisfied with less food without the hunger hormone increases.

Ok. So explain how your hormones change. I truly don't understand that part. Also, when researching the diet guidelines a lot of things seemed unhealthy and loaded with chemicals like sugar free Jello, pudding cups, etc. Is one destined to not be able to eat whole organic foods again? And those Optifast shakes are total crap...way too many chemicals. I think Id be more sick from eating chemcials than being big. There are so many things to consider....feeling overwhelmed with the good stuff and the bad stuff.

Starving yourself is not the only way to lose weight. You could try intuitive eating. Or increasing your activity levels. Your body won't cooperate because it doesn't like being starved. It's trying to keep you from starving.

Wls can get your weight off easily and set you up to be able to find a more long term solution to maintaining your ideal weight. You will still be in the same spot eventually though, after wls appetite does return.

What you need to ask yourself is what you really need to be happy and healthy. Cause it sounds
Like dieting is making you miserable. Don't beat yourself up for failing at starvation diets. It's not your fault, it's biology.