Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering do you think that if I purchased mini or child size silverware it would help me regulate portions per bite? Has anyone tried this? I truly want to succeed but I think I need all the help I can get.

I mean I don't want to call attention to myself really in public but I was out to dinner with the hubby and I had Soup and the spoon was huge to me I was eating to much to fast and started.to get that lump in throat feel. I think maybe a kid size set would help.

I don't think this is a silly question. It shows you are working on it! Try it, it could help, Everyone is different. A small plate at home helps me. It also helps me to put what I will eat on the plate before I sit down to a meal at home. When I eat out I ask for a take-out container when I order my food. Then I put 1/2 my food in it before I begin eating.

B)

My neighbor, who also had lapband said she ordered baby silverware on line so it's not as noticeable. I personally just went to Wal-Mart and bought some baby spoons with the long handle and it is great!

i have read that some people do this......i say if it helps you, go for it..

but i do not.......i just make sure the food i do eat is very small (size of a cheese it or smaller)

and usually out my fork down in between.....

I also bought baby spoons/forks when I started this journey. Nearly a year out, I don't need them anymore however....when I go out to eat with a larger group and we order several apps/entrees to share, I usually don't order something for myself but I take a little of each item. As I don't have my own meal so to speak, I ask the server for a small plate for myself. That helps me alot to minimize my portion. I find that this little trick works well for me and keep me from taking/eating too much when I'm in a restaurant setting and the scale is obviously not available for me to weight the food. Good luck to you and just know that if you want to succeed...you will.

I don't think it's a silly question. But I would not spend too much money for them. Take one day at a time. Be kind to your self. Follow the rules that your doctor gives you.

I suggest that you eat slowly, measure your food. Drink Water, don't fill up on food just to eat keep asking questions. Hugs.

Hi Angi, my surgeon mentioned there are long-handled small utensils available on-line. I haven't ordered them because we already have small forks and spoons which I really like -- an oyster fork, for example, leftover baby spoons or demitasse. And while out I just ask for a teaspoon. I agree those Soup spoons are enormous and it is too easy to lap up too much food at once. Know that people are not really scrutinizing you -- they are either busy eating themselves or in the case of the wait-staff they don't care.

I was perusing small forks and spoons on Amazon. I am debating ordering them... So far I am doing all right with a salad fork and a teaspoon. I do wonder, tho, as I start getting adjustments if I shouldn't have smaller utensils, as I will no doubt need to tighten up on bite size even more... Input is welcome, as I am new to this. :D

Not a silly question at all!

I've known many people who've bought child sized silverware to help regulate their portions. Many will also eat off salad plates rather than dinner plates for the same reason.

I say go for it- you have nothing to lose. In fact, I bet it would help.

Definitely not a silly question! I use a baby spoon at home and when we go out I actually order from the kids menu.

I have a feeling that the appetizer section and kids menu are going to become good friends, in the future. :D I can fill up picking off of hubby's plate... I am about to become a very cheap date. :wub:

I agree with trying the smaller utensils, especially when not mindful of what we are eating. Even old fashion long handle teaspoons work great for me! Good luck!

I say go for it. I actually now regret getting rid of some of the baby ones i had from my daughters. I had a wonderful little travel case that had a knife/fork and spoon all neat... now every time i eat out i'm going DARN if only.. for the most part i have reduced the frequency i eat out and when i do i just order the kids meal for me. when they argue that it's supposed to be for kids 12 and under i just look at them blankly and say your POINT IS?...