Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Date Is Dec 16Th And Really Nervous!

My surgery date is Dec 16th and I am really nervous about it.. I start my clear liquid diet Next Monday the 2nd so not looking forward to that but will do just as the Doctor says. I have never had surgery before and this is was is scaring me the most not knowing what to expect.

Hi Mainexplorer! I'm right there with you. My surgery is 12/16 - I've never had surgery before either and the unknown always freaks me out :) This is a great place to get info from folks who have been there, done that.

There is a whole forum for us December sleevers http://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/679-decmber-2013-sleevers/

including a very active main thread

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/283805-december-2013-sleevers-come-in/

There is also info on how to join our secret Facebook group if you're interested. Where are you having surgery?

I was sleeved on 11/20...... And it's been good so far............. If u have questions don't be scared to ask....... We're all here for eachother......

Thank you Mel... I just went to that thread and left a post there. I also tried to the Facebook Page but it only brings me to a blank screen on my smartphone. I am having my surgery here At Central Maine Bariatric Center.. A Dr Loggins and Dr Bang here in Lewiston Maine. I start my clear liquid diet next week (Mon the 2nd) and can only have 400-600 calories each day and those will come from the protien drinks I am supposed to be drinking. I can have fat free Jello and fat free ice pops and thats it for the whole two weeks before my surgery..

Is it just me"--- How long was the pain and how long before the incisions heal?? Both of my jobs I have to were a Kevlar vest and was wondering how long it will be before I can actually wear my vest again for work after surgery??

Hmmm...not sure what is up with the Facebook page coming up blank. Did you click on the link of the very first post of that main thread? If you friend Ashlie Marie (NewAshes is her name on this site) she will add you ASAP. The FB page is actually a little busier than this page just because it's easier for most of us to access.

Thank you Mel... I just went to that thread and left a post there. I also tried to the Facebook Page but it only brings me to a blank screen on my smartphone. I am having my surgery here At Central Maine Bariatric Center.. A Dr Loggins and Dr Bang here in Lewiston Maine. I start my clear liquid diet next week (Mon the 2nd) and can only have 400-600 calories each day and those will come from the protien drinks I am supposed to be drinking. I can have fat free Jello and fat free ice pops and thats it for the whole two weeks before my surgery.. Is it just me"--- How long was the pain and how long before the incisions heal?? Both of my jobs I have to were a Kevlar vest and was wondering how long it will be before I can actually wear my vest again for work after surgery??

I pain was gone second day... Just some gas pains but as some as I burped they were gone.................... Today was my first week visit and my wounds are pretty much healed already.... There was a little soreness the first couple day around the big incisions...... I had those sterile strips on my incisions most are gone already

Hi Mainexplorer! I am also on 12-16 and start my liquid diet on 12-2. Sounds like we have similar diets but I can also have cream Soups, oatmeal, and other liquids like V8. Around 800-900 calories. I too have never had surgery or any procedure. I am scared out of my mind!! I know I need to get healthy though and this is my start. Good luck on your journey!

Hi Mainexplorer!

Same here Dec 2Nd liquid diet...then Dec 16Th. its nice to know most of us are starting our journey together ! All over,East to West.

I am December 16th too! But my surgeon does not require a 2 week liquid diet... Only a 1 day liquid diet. Is that weird? My sister is 7 months post op and 78 lbs down!! She looks amazing

Nah, not weird at all. My doc only requires a 2 day clear liquid diet and that's more of a bowel prep than anything else.

I am told 1) it will shrink my liver and 2) I did not really loose the required weight before surgery. But mostly I guess it shrinks your liver and is better for surgery. I can drink Protien drinks i am going with Designer whey with 100 Calories and 18g of protien. So I can drink more in a day. I plan on drink 5 so that will get me to 500 calories and 90g of protien. Inbetween I plan on fat free Jello which is 10 calories per box and probably going to pick up some fat free popsicles. I am really not look fawrd to it but I am going to do this.. It is my first of many goals in my life and it starts with this clear liquid diet I need to do!!!

As I type this it is now early Thanksgiving morning and Thanksgiving is my last big meal I plan on having. hahaha

I have sleep apnea and I want off my cpap machine. I can not sleep with out that thing. I have to bring it with me if i want to sleep other then home. If the power goes out in the middle of the night I can not sleep at all with out. I try to lay down and take a nap I feel like I can not breath..

I don't like the way I look I hate my neck and other parts of my body. I need to do this for myself but more importantly I need to do this for my 15 yr old daughter. I want to be around for her longer then I am going to be if I continue down this road i am on.

The surgery part scares me to death, like I said I have never had surgery before for anything.

I like the fact that there are others out here that have the same date as me.. Its like we can start this new life together and have each other to talk to about things and how each otehr is doing.

Mel I will add her right now

I am scheduled for the 17th, and I am getting more nervous as days go on. I've had surgeries but nothing this major. I start my pre-op diet on the 7th (10 days).

Not to freak you out (actually this still freaks me out!) but the other night I actually woke up in a nightmare choking, thinking that I already had the surgery and had some kind of obstruction from it and couldn't breathe...

It's weird, because I know this is something I chose to do and not an immediate life or death surgery. In the end I keep telling myself it WILL be life or death if I don't get the weight off.... regardless the anxiety is setting in bigtime as the days pass and the date comes closer. I am going to ask my primary if he can give me some anxiety relief meds when I see him in two weeks.

For those of you who have never had any kind of surgery, maybe I can put your mind at ease on the pre-op stuff. My sleeve is scheduled for 12/23/2013, coming home on Christmas day, and I have had 12 other surgeries. Here is what happened every time:

After you get into a surgical gown, you are taken to a pre-op prep area where they check your ID one more time, sign final consent papers, and help you relax from the jitters before you go in for surgery. That may be a shot or a pill, or even meds inserted in your IV. The IV is not so bad if your tech is skilled and your veins are obvious. If you are right handed, ask for it in your left hand or arm so that you can use your dominate hand freely. When they tell you that you are going to feel a little prick, you can tell them that Miss Mac's ex was a little prick :)

So, once the IV is in and secured and you are calming down, you can say toodle-loo to your support person. You will see them again in a couple of hours. Your doctor and your anesthesiologist should stop by to say they will see you shortly in the O.R. and answer any final questions you may have.

You get wheeled into surgery and transferred to the operating table, where they check your ID again and verify that they have the right patient for the right surgery. You will get an oxygen mask or one of those little thingies that just sits a tad little bit in your nostrils. The anesthesiologist will probably ask you to count backward from 100. 100....99....98....wake up...wake up....your surgery is over...you did just fine. So, you have taken a nap and received a new lease on life.

Ta da! There you are in the recovery room, coming back around. In this case, it will be your new birthday. So, Happy Birthday. I wish you happiness and health as you become the newer improved you. No point in worrying. It doesn't get you anywhere. I am sure you want this surgery like a kid wants Christmas. So, go into it hoping for the best. Take care.

Miss Mac

you are awesome !! Thank you for that! I loled at the lil prick joke ....funneeee! I have been getting really anxious but after reading these posts I'm calming down. so thank you again ..i really like this Forum ! Any question we have nd ta da its answered... so cool!

Yes Thank you MIss Mac... Any info on thise is a really big big help!!