Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told to really focus on Protein before and after plastics. My hunger went through the roof while recovery but I had alot done at once. I agree that 5:2 can wait...

I am not successfully fasting right now, but this approach really works. Makes it so I can go out on Friday or Sat and not worry too much as the fast days balance things. I used 5:2 to work off a small regain, get well under goal and then maintain. I am back into the 150s again and need to restart 5:2 to get back to 140ish.

Yes, it's protein, protein, protein (and some Vitamin C) for tissue healing. Also. it's an increase in calories. Somewhere around 500 additional calories/day, according to most medical schools of thought.

I'm so thankful to read both of these posts! I've had three foot surgeries since June, including major bone reconstruction and the installation of an external fixator. I was six month post-op VSG when the foot surgeries began, and felt so frustrated that I was starving all the time! I've had the fixator out now for two months, and have just recently been allowed to begin walking again, but my weight loss has been stalled since June. Up and down in the same three pound range for months. My bariatric surgeon and the nutritionist have been no help in this area. Bariatric surgeon got on to me for only losing three pounds between 6 months and 12 months post-op, which for a typical patient might be acceptable, but someone who went from being very active everyday to in a wheelchair full time might be extended a bit of grace. They also couldn't explain why (though I kept calories between 1000-1200 daily) I felt absolutely FAMISHED all the time. They never thought to connect the fact that my entire foot had been reconstructed, and I was growing new bone to fuse with the donor bone that had been installed.

It has been excruciatingly difficult not to be consumed by those old feelings of guilt and failure regarding my weight loss (or lack thereof) for the last few months, despite not eating when feeling truly hungry and being creative about burning calories by being creative about exercise. The information you both posted here helps me to extend that grace to myself and to realize that, despite the lack of real weight loss over the past few months, my foot is doing great -- even better than expected -- and that is far better for me in this moment than being a few pounds lighter.

I'm officially in, too. My nutritionist talked to me about intermittent fasting when I was about 9 months post-op, but at the time, I felt like I was starving constantly at 1000-1200 honest calories with loads of Protein (bone healing), and I just couldn't wrap my mind around cutting that in half. Now that the bone in my foot is really all healed up and I'm able to walk again, I truly *feel* less hungry, so I feel like I could take this on.

I'm thirteen months post-op, but have been absolutely stalled (up and down the same three pounds) for the last seven months. I am 19 pounds away from 100 pounds lost, and 27 pounds away from a "normal" BMI. I am probably 45-50 pounds from my ultimate goal weight in the 135-140 range, but I absolutely will need plastics in the tummy area, so it may be unreasonable to attempt that ultimate goal at this point. The stair step goals will keep me busy enough, I should think. :). I'm eating mindfully today, and will have my first fast day tomorrow after a trip to the market this afternoon.

I've read this entire thread, and am popping over to the other 5:2 thread now. Thank you all so much for the incredible information! Just wanted to officially say hello, and I'll check in again by Monday.

Amanda

Welcome Amanda.

I don't calorie count, but I do pay attention to carbs. I strongly suggest looking at your carb intake also if you want to jump start your losses! some of us are more sensitive to carbs than others, but the fewer I eat, the less hungry I am.... too bad I LIKE em so much!

Welcome Amanda.

I don't calorie count, but I do pay attention to carbs. I strongly suggest looking at your carb intake also if you want to jump start your losses! some of us are more sensitive to carbs than others, but the fewer I eat, the less hungry I am.... too bad I LIKE em so much!

I like carbs, too! (Who doesn't, though?) For a 1200 calorie day, my NUT suggests not exceeding 120 carbs, but my personal daily range (in that same calorie range) is about 60g carbs. I find if I cross over 70g carbs, I can't think about anything BUT carbs. :) 50-70 carbs is probably where I land each day, so I imagine I'll do about half of that on a fast day. Any special tips about that? Should I shoot for no carbs at all on fast days?

OK, I am going for my first FAST DAY in a long long time tomorrow....today my weight was 145...the highest I have been in a year! ( usually hover around 139-142) but I have been eating so much more lately. I don't really know what the big deal is for me because I usually feel so much better after a FAST DAY. But as you all know that carb monster just rears its ugly head. I think I need to get out of the house a lot tomorrow and then I will be OK. I will check in with everyone on Friday. Thanks for all the motivation. I know I don't say much on here anymore (even though I am still posting on my blog) but I do read everyone's posts and they help keep me honest. So Dank je wel! (Thank you in Dutch).

I can see this is a struggle for everyone. We can do this. I haven't been able to get myself on track for the past 2 days but tomorrow will be a pure Protein day. I have clients from 9am to 8pm spread out so I will take some Protein Bars and a Protein Shake with a lot of Water to drink in between. I put by nice slacks on and they are snug.....so tomorrow morning I will be on track and away from my house.... Yayyyyy.

I haven't started exercise due to feeling like my knee is going to go at anytime. I can only walk a bit and then it starts hurting so I need to see my PCP and the nurse always ask how many times a week do I exercise and I am embarrassed when I answer. So it's time to stop playing around and get on top of this. No excuses...

Great posts all...!

Had a good fast Monday, a good 'normal' day of quality food not quantity! Attempted to fast today but totes failed... not in a junk food way, just too many good calories so I am not going to worry... will fast tomo! Gotta get this extra off...

My original goal would be 154 (I'm now 10lbs over that after xmas! Grrr) but I too would love, love, love, to see 140!

I also have a goal of 155, but I think I'd love to see the 140s. Just to see how it looks, if nothing else. I haven't been there since the 80s when I was in my 20s. I think I look and feel pretty good in the lower 160s, but I'm never sure if that's not just an excuse to call it good enough. It's where my body wants to stay, and it was the same before I got morbidly obese. 160 was where I mostly was, and would go up or down 20 pounds, depending on how hard I dieted and exercised. I'm going to play it by ear. I think 155 would give me a little wiggle room.

Anyway, had a pretty decent day yesterday, probably lower than it should have been for a non-fast day, at 750 calories. I was busy and not that hungry, so I took advantage of that. Today is going to be an actual fast day, and for me, that's around 600 calories. I feel better getting off the carbs, and while I still have a lot of visible swelling, I've dropped some more Water this week. Such a relief! I felt like all of my skin was too tight for my body!

Have a wonderful day, ladies!

Hi everyone....I am having my first 5:2 day in such a long time! It isn't so hard so why have I put it off so many times. It is only the early afternoon here but I have not only been faithful so far but I have also been to the gym and I feel great! I want to feel like I can do this and I want to thank everyone for their support and encouragement and inspiration. I weighed in at 144 today, my low was 135 (OK, I saw 133 about a year ago for about 5 minutes). But I want to have plastics done and my doctor wants me mid-130s. Plus how weird is it that us veterans start to feel so heavy after a 5-10 lb gain when we all use to be 200+ lbs? I remember once getting into the 180's and thinking I was a super model. So I think our brains are changing into a thin person's brain....or we can only hope! But losing 10 lbs right now does seem pretty daunting....but today is a start and I feel great! And if I can do this, anyone can because I was always so hopeless at any diet attempt.....it's just one day, so we CAN DO THIS!!!! BTW, I didn't even finish my Soup at lunch!

You are all so inspirational!

So, the mental part of "how much should I weigh" is interesting. I sort of laid down a line in the sand by intentionally getting down to 150# when i had plastics. I had been told that you really should keep your weight within 10% of your plastic surgery weight which gives me a rough range of "135-165" -- which struck me as a pretty reasonable ballpark for a 5'5" woman who has been morbidly (hate that word) obese or super morbidly obese (hate that word even more) most of my life.

I have been obese or overweight my whole life presleeve, with the exception of some fleeting moments of beautiful normal. So, I am freaking golden at 165 but I like 140 better. So, the mindset I have is that I am in great shape, loving my body even though I am pushing 160 right now. Instead of seeing it as a horrible I am focusing on what such a an awesome job I have done of maintaining since I have NEVER maintained weight loss for more than about 2 weeks in the past and using that energy to get myself back in compliance.

I try to keep alot of positive energy around this topic. I treat it like...woo hoo... I won a marathon race, lets see if I can just do one more mile.

I also visualize alot on the number 140. I truly believe that you should think about and "look at" where you want to be, not what you are trying to avoid. Having said that, I do still look at my before pix because it helps me love myself and be proud of what i have done even whilst I am resisting the urge to kick myself for letting myself get back up to nearly 160.

Having said that, yesterday was NOT a fast day, it was a normal day, and I feel like I overdid it. I am getting better, but having quite hit my old groove yet.

I like carbs, too! (Who doesn't, though?) For a 1200 calorie day, my NUT suggests not exceeding 120 carbs, but my personal daily range (in that same calorie range) is about 60g carbs. I find if I cross over 70g carbs, I can't think about anything BUT carbs. :) 50-70 carbs is probably where I land each day, so I imagine I'll do about half of that on a fast day. Any special tips about that? Should I shoot for no carbs at all on fast days?

No, I don't think so on the "no carbs." Just be mindful of your normal carb control and limit your overall calories if possible to around 500-600.

You know, Sheryl, I do really find it amazing our much of the journey our minds play into it all. I believe someone said in one of the posts recently how crazy it is that we get down on ourselves with a small weight gain when we were OBESE before but I think maybe it also shows that we have turned the corner to true normalcy since I've heard others moan about having to lose weight and I would think, "Yeah, if I had that TEN POUNDS to lose..." ????. Now we are them! Ha!

And Sheryl I agree on the visualization part too. 140 is an awesome number. I was Really Proud when I reached my goal of 150 the first time but boy, something about being 139-140 was truly Awesome! So awesome I just gradually slipped up and added too much junk back in and here we go again!

BUT, what a great tool our sleeves have provided us!

Got a fast day in today. Not pretty and not as low as I wanted (685) but I held on!!! Ha! And returning to good eating patterns feels really good too

Glad we are all speaking up and helping each other out in the 5:2!

Checking in after my first FAST day yesterday. I did it! And I lost a lb. I don't think I was perfect but it was a start and I feel so much better knowing that I could do it. For me, I have to keep myself really busy and away from the house...and it was a mental exercise as well. But it is amazing how we think now....this 10 lbs I want to lose seems so HUGE but yet we have come so far! I am visualizing 133...I am only 5'3" and even though I think I will have saggy skin, that's the number I want to get to. Today I was 143 so that's 10 lbs. But thanks to all of you I think I can do this. And I swear I think I am the worst dieter in the world! I can get derailed SO easily plus the fact that I am entertaining all the time. A dinner party tonight and tomorrow night! But I did FAST and that was a start!!!

I've had a rough couple of months with my back surgery in early November and then having my incision become infected and becoming septic. Tomorrow I finish the worse antibiotics I've ever had to take. I've been eating more because the taste of those antibiotics is always in my mouth. I'm really annoyed that I haven't been released to exercise yet.

Anyway, after my total success with 5:2 last time, I am going to go back and try to fast. I'm really worried because the medicine my back surgeon put me on is known to cause carb cravings and weight gain.

I need to get back into the 130's and out of the 140's. I'm tired of my clothes not fitting.

@@CowgirlJane YOU are inspirational, too! Love this group - and happy to be a part of it.

I agree, it is important to keep all of this in perspective, and remember that we have succeeded and are truly more normal than ever. I think one of the reasons for me that I start to panic with a gain is because it's been a slippery slope for me in the past. I lost, and then felt powerless to stop regain. I would watch the pounds pile back on, and for whatever reason, just couldn't get control back. I always fear I'm one carb or cheeseburger or slice of cake or pound away from that cycle. I think I just don't trust myself yet. Not sure if I ever will. A lifetime of obesity and the associated misery is just hard for me to shake. It's a price I'm happy to pay if it helps keep me at a normal weight. I do allow myself a little freedom now and then, and I don't beat myself up for the associated gain, but I do react quickly when it happens.

So anyway, for moment, 5:2 seems to be working for me. I came in at 502 calories yesterday, and I think I haven't eaten that low since during my first year post op. I was surprised that it wasn't hard too for me! The weekend is coming, so that's always the biggest challenge for me! I lost 10 pounds this week, which I know was Water (remember I'm in post plastics swell hell, still) but I know that the low carbs and calories allowed me to release some of that water. I think I still have another 5-10 pounds, though I don't know for sure. My lowest weight was 161, then I had to stop taking a diuretic last August, immediately gained 15 pounds, lost 10, had plastics twice, and have been fighting this edema ever since. Be glad you are not me when it comes to water weight, lol!

Have a great day, and stay warm. It's sub zero and snowy in Michigan. Also be glad you are not me for that ;)