Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To The Forum And Saying Hello!

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say Hello and introduce myself. I have been reading this forum for quite sometime and finally decided to register. I am 30 years old and live in Dubai. I have my consultation with a surgeon in two weeks to discuss the band. I am planning on getting it in January when I return from the UK christmas holidays.

About me, well I work in events, am Single and have been on a major weight-rollercoaster over the years. I have finally decided enough is enough and need to do something to finally control my weight and ensure it stays off. I am 97kg, 164cm and have in the last 2 years gone from 74kg - 97kg after a Meal Replacement diet to lose weight fast for a wedding. After 4 months of no food, it's no surprise the weight came right back on and I am now pretty much at the weight I was before that. I work out 3 times a week, have given up alcohol and would say I am at least 70% good with my food. I work out way too much to be this over weight my muscle-mass is above average and so I have decided to take control and do something about it whilst I have the financial means to do so.

I still have a lot of questions but it seems this forum is the perfect place to ask them! I look forward to making some new friends on this journey!

Thanks for having me :) x

Welcome! Ask all the questions you want. This site is full of support and information.

Good luck to you on your new healthy life.

Welcome to our banding forum. You will find answers to most your questions here but medical ones need to be asked of your bariatric people. You will only receive our opinion & how our band is affecting us individually on BariatricPal.com. Wishing you a healthy future!

:)

i also extend my welcome. this is a good site for info. they got me through the first 5 mos. when i needed help the most. but please promise me that with every advice you get you double check with your doctor. you want to always stay in tune with your doctor. they need to know what you are doing. good luck on your journey. you will love it when clothes start getting loose.

Hi there, loved reading your introduction as I can identify with all of it. Have not lived in the UAE but know that world a bit. And events. But mostly the long struggle with weight and all the self-restricting with no real result. I am only three weeks out but can say that I am so incredibly happy to be out of food jail. And exercising! That is something of a miracle, the way I now have the willpower to exercise and most of all I am enjoying it. Who is this person?

Here's what I did when I started my process in June (banded 11/5):

- started in on hospital requirements (mandatory info session, mtg with program Coord, psych eval and nutritionist then finally the surgeon -- no idea what your process will be in UK)

- stepped up my exercise program to tone and build muscle as much as possible prior to the surgery

- got a therapist to go through the process with me and work on food issues. Not that I haven't done that at age 52 but this time was different because there was a real solution on the horizon and specific things to address -- slow eating, small amounts, really listening to my body. I identified all the weak points in my overeating -- when, why, how, etc. Eating to prep before meetings, conf calls, eating from boredom or as reward.

- started a separate journal to keep track go into, my appointments and my feelings. One composition book with everything I need to remember.

Welcome :)

I am new too. Welcome to both of us. I am over 65 and hoping for a January surgery date.

Welcome! I am newer to the site also and have found everyone very kind, helpful, and always there for each other on our down days. I have recently finished my 3 months guided diet and things have been submitted to the insurance now just waiting for the big answer. ..good luck to you and never hesitate to reach out to us!

Just dropping in to welcome you to our forums and congratulate you on your decision to become healthier. We are so happy to have you join us.

Thanks everyone for the really lovely welcome. I've been still doing a lot of research and reading of the forum to find out what it's like having the band. Last night I watched a youtube video of the procedure and it looks pretty gruesome but also really quick! I've only ever had surgery once, when I was about 15 and had my tonsils removed. I try to make a point of staying away from Doctors really so I'm trying to get my head around the procedure and what will happen.

How did you all feel straight afterwards, is it quite a lot of pain, or just a weird sensation? What is it like having a fill done? I also watched a video on that and do you feel anything? I am rubbish at needles and things so I guess that is definitely something I'll have to learn to love :)

Thanks again! I have to say the idea of getting this done and losing this weight is really making me sleep better at night. Also living in the desert where you're at the beach every weekend or at a boat party, I am really looking forward to having a bit of confidence on the beach and showing a bit more flesh when the weight drops! Dubai is awesome, but the shopping and the beach and lifestyle here really doesn't suit anyone overweight imo. I sometimes wish it would be nice to be in a true Winter back in the UK where you pile on the layers and hide under a blanket to keep warm! ha! x

I got my surgery date--January 29. I am excited and nervous both.

Good luck joy. I had the procedure done 10 days ago now, best decision ever.

Thank you. I am very excited but I am nervous too.