Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need To Say....

I read many posts here from day to day...and every so often I feel I need to get my story out there...if anything, a declaration for my own edification...

Before this WLS, I literally had one foot in the grave, there were so many medical issues and my prognosis was very bad...I'll not get ino it now, but I have in the past...in the 3-5 years prior, I had to bury my Sister, and my Brother...both who died too young from complications from being Obese...and I was walking right in their footsteps...

My PCP seriously talked to me, more as a friend, to be sure I had some funeral plans in the way of expenses, and also asked me if my family would be Ok and taken care of....

ANY type of WLS, (in my case it was Lap band), was a LAST RESORT....DO OR DIE (maybe that explains my aggressiveness...no fooling around, dam the torpedoes)

That was 3 years ago, I am now 100% successful with my body determining what my weight should be....very low body fat %, in the "Athletic" range...I simply have no more excess weight of fat to loose...any more would be unhealthy...a true starvation mode not unlike the psuedo one everyone talks about.

ALL my medical conditions have completely reversed, (other than the permanent damage to my heart muscle from a heart attack), no more Med's, all bloodwork #'s perfect right down the middle....

I am a Poster Child at my Bariatric center, often asked to talk at support and first time introduction meetings...(I'm careful to explain ALL people are different and choose their different weight loss paths)

I'm 61 soon to be 62, run 5 miles a day...go to the gym 5 days a week...I feel like I am 30 years younger...

I have NEVER had a single complication....I DO NOT consider this a "TOOL"...I consider this corrective surgery...I cannot over eat no matter how hard I may try...I am never hungry 24 hrs a day with no cravings and actually, have very little interest in food altogether....It's a mental thing for me because of the placement of the band....

A "TOOL" is something I can control...I cannot control this, it has complete control of me....If I was in control, and can "Use" this as a tool, I would surely screw it up and fail....

I DO NOT count calories, measure portions, keep logs, etc...in other words, I have been set free from DIETS!! I now live a Normal LIfestyle, I eat, work and play the way a person is supposed to do, not the abnormal gluttonous lifestyle I once used to live that made me sick and fat...

But now, I find this the easiest thing there is..absolutely No work or struggle....

of course, during the first post-op phase, which took me 4-6 months of adjusting, was pure hell and frustrating to say the least...but I did not back down, and fought through it...it was that important to me......it has now become day to day, a way of life I do not think about that much anymore...as if I had my gall Bladder taken out 3 years ago...

Of course there are things I need to know and certain rules I must follow...but they are new habits...no longer a list....I don't have to think about what foods I can or cannot eat...I just know...I don't have to remind myself how to chew and take my time...I just know..and if I should forget, the band is there to immediately warn and remind me...

IF I should ever encounter any complications, I will deal with them when and if they come.....better than being dead!

One thing I have noticed to be a truth...the lap band is adjustable, and it seems all people have different levels as to where they want to be with this...for me, nothing less than maximum "Green Zone" life will do...and my Dr. understands....IMO that does not mean one person is right or wrong...as long as you're successful in your path, that's all that matters....I HATE IT when someone says the way they are doing it is the ONLY WAY, then goes and instructs people just starting out...doing more harm than good...no matter there are so many confused people....all anyone should ever do is give their own personal experience in any given situation...if they have none, then keep quiet and let someone who has experience speak...I love it when someone who has been banded for 6 weeks is going to tell me how I should be doing things...

Anyway, It's 5am, I'm off to the gym soon when they open at 6 on Saturdays.

ALL THIS because I chose to have the Lap Band Surgery....it could have been one of the other procedures, I don't know...this is he only one I have any experience with....so this is the only procedure I can talk about....

Here, here! I am so glad that you said this and you are a successful person I can agree with! Congrats!

Thanks for continuing to post your story! I have learned a lot from reading your posts over the years. Congrats on your continued success.

Great post; thanks!

**IF I should ever encounter any complications, I will deal with them when and if they come.***

and

****.I don't have to think about what foods I can or cannot eat...I just know...I don't have to remind myself how to chew and take my time...I just know..and if I should forget, the band is there to immediately warn and remind me...****

i agree with this

I have to say, I love reading about all success stories, no matter how we get there. Your thoughts about "a tool" are an interesting perspective. I need to think about that some more. Thanks for sharing.

**IF I should ever encounter any complications, I will deal with them when and if they come.***

and

****.I don't have to think about what foods I can or cannot eat...I just know...I don't have to remind myself how to chew and take my time...I just know..and if I should forget, the band is there to immediately warn and remind me...****

<strong>i agree with this </strong>

Yep, me too. Thanks for sharing B-52.

I completely agree with the corrective surgery concept. I am 44 and KNOW I was staring down at the potential of being where you were before you got banded. It might have been 15 years, it might have been 20…or sooner. But my attitude is why waste time when I can fix it now.

Inspirational words, and thank you for telling your story.