Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unexpected Benefit: Inspiring Others

I didn't get the sleeve for anybody but myself--and perhaps for my husband and children to have me around longer and not have to look after me. But I'm finding that my weight loss is inspiring several of my friends. Are you seeing something similar?

I know I talk about my sleeve and my new eating habits ENTIRELY too much these days, but it's all so new and exciting that I can't help it. When I've traveled for work with others, I've told them all to not be guided by my hunger and eating sizes because I mean..that would be ridiculous. I'm the "boss" and I don't want them to think they can't ask for us to take a break and get food just because I don't get hungry!

But inadvertently, it appears to be changing the habits of those around me. One of my employees was already doing body for life and has lost 30 lbs, but it's fun when we travel to do shakes together and we pick restaurants we can eat at. When it's time to cater meetings, she picks food that she and I can eat so our clients are eating healthier whether they like it or not, although we do get Cookies for them. But initially, doing it together really helped us stay on plan.

Employee/Friend #2 asked me to help her so I set her up on MFP and gave her guidelines. I bought her a fitbit. Not only as she lost 13 lbs but she walks like a fiend! She went from 153 to 140 lbs, and as you know, when you're that little, it's hard to lose weight. To add to it, her two neighbors and she got into a competition on who could walk more. So the husband and wife next door are also walking like mad. So that's three people inspired from one fitbit.

Employee #3 is moving to low carb slowly and has been asking me to help her. She like most of us, is carrying a lot of weight and as she gets older is starting to have health issues. So that's four people inspired.

I'm really surprised by this, but in a good way. I really am not preaching it to others, but they see my excitement and my results and it's getting them motivated. how cool is that??

Is it making a positive difference to your friends and family?

Hey GG! Yes, this is happening to me too! I've had several larger people at work in and in my social circle "probe" me for details and info. I've turned them on to MFP and this site, and passed on the name of my surgeon.

And I, too, am guilty of talking WAAAAY to much about exercise, food, nutrition etc. these days!

Yes! I have people at work regularly ask me what I'm doing and we engage in good conversations about healthy eating tips, etc. the people at work don't know I had surgery, but I've been able to connect with them on a health-conscious kind of level. Also I had someone at church come up to me yesterday to tell me I look great and we ended up getting into a really good conversation about her struggles with weight loss and the emotional side of things. So even though I am not sharing my surgery with everyone at this point, I've still found that I am able to help other people and encourage them along their diet journeys that may not lead to surgery.

I've had several people ask me about how I'm losing weight. I talked about eating low calorie, high Protein, and low carb and about journaling everything on MFP with all of them. Also for those people who I thought might possibly benefit from surgery, I talked about my surgery too. Everyone has rejected eating low carb and journaling out of hand. I think they thought I had some sort of magic wand I was going to wave over them. My conclusion is that these people are lazy and creatures of habit (no judgment, that was me for decades) and don't actually want to do anything in order to lose weight.

That's terrific GamerGirl! I know my weight loss has inspired my boss----he now works out every day.

I too talk WAAYY to much about my journey....but sheesh I feel amazing and share the things I'm learning to make myself healthier.

My husband and son have changed so much in eating habits also. (Which is because I cook) but I don't stop for fast food anymore our meals are home cooked 99% of the time. :)

My sister is benefiting from it. She is a "skinny fat girl" who is now cooking better for her and her son, my sister in law had a bypass 2 months ago and is asking me lots of questions about my eating habits. I cooked her 4 different meals she could freeze while I was visiting over the weekend, my dad has lost a few pounds, mother in law, best friends ect all want to know more about how to better themselves.

Just because I have a sleeve doesn't mean they can not benefit hugely from the knowledge I have picked up. I'm learning so much it has me wanting more. Its like a drug and I love it.

In LONG yes yes and I love it. :)

So I had lunch with my friend to whom I gave the fitbit. Get this...her neighbor? Walked 252,000 steps in TWO WEEKS! That's almost 6 miles a day! And now he's in the habit so he's still doing it.

Now if only *I* would do that....

I've inspired many people in real life to SAY they wanted to lose weight or get healthy. But not one person has actually done anything.....except my wife. She honestly was not that heavy. She's fairly healthy, eats light and exercises. But I did inspire her to break away from some of her long held ideals of health and fitness. The first was her no fat/low fat mentality. She'd buy anything that said "reduced fat". Yet she'd starve herself and not lose weight. I talked her into considering the effect of carbs, and showed her the information about how dietary fat does not cause body fat. She finally delved into it more closely with her huge analytical brain and realized I was right. She is so smart but she never researched this....just followed the no fat propaganda machine. I also convinced her that an hour a day of steady state cardio....EVERYDAY....might not be the best use of her time. And that lifting heavy weights was not gonna cause her to gain weight and look like Lou Ferrigno with boobs.

She committed herself to lifting heavy weights 3 times a week and doing cardio 3 times a week....and she's seen massive changes in body composition....along with losing weight and busting through a plateau that has persisted for over 8 years. She's thrilled with her success and so am I.

finding that my weight loss is inspiring several of my friends.

gamegirl

how wonderful is that???!!!!

helping, encouraging others!!! :)

i "think" everyone (me too) talks alllllot about their new life (sleeve)

occupational hazard - oh well..........

I haven't experience what your referring too, sounds great though

you are maybe like the "pied piper" in sleeveland??? :D

btw - how's the other sleever (DH) in your family doing???

hope he is doing as terrific as you

the two of you supporting each other must be great!!! :)

keep up the good job :)

kathy

congrats

I've inspired many people in real life to SAY they wanted to lose weight or get healthy. But not one person has actually done anything.....except my wife. She honestly was not that heavy. She's fairly healthy, eats light and exercises. But I did inspire her to break away from some of her long held ideals of health and fitness. The first was her no fat/low fat mentality. She'd buy anything that said "reduced fat". Yet she'd starve herself and not lose weight. I talked her into considering the effect of carbs, and showed her the information about how dietary fat does not cause body fat. She finally delved into it more closely with her huge analytical brain and realized I was right. She is so smart but she never researched this....just followed the no fat propaganda machine. I also convinced her that an hour a day of steady state cardio....EVERYDAY....might not be the best use of her time. And that lifting heavy weights was not gonna cause her to gain weight and look like Lou Ferrigno with boobs.

She committed herself to lifting heavy weights 3 times a week and doing cardio 3 times a week....and she's seen massive changes in body composition....along with losing weight and busting through a plateau that has persisted for over 8 years. She's thrilled with her success and so am I.

Wow, you should see the post I made in the enabling thread. Carbs, low fat, all of that. she and I are very alike.

Butter, you've also inspired a lot of people in "internet life" though. And I can see why. First because you have been successful, and second because you take time to help others.

What has surprised me is just a bit of weight loss for me has inspired others. I'm not even close to goal and I'm hardly a "success". But apparently every little bit counts.

gamegirl

how wonderful is that???!!!!

helping, encouraging others!!! :)

i "think" everyone (me too) talks alllllot about their new life (sleeve)

occupational hazard - oh well..........

I haven't experience what your referring too, sounds great though

you are maybe like the "pied piper" in sleeveland??? :D

btw - how's the other sleever (DH) in your family doing???

hope he is doing as terrific as you

the two of you supporting each other must be great!!! :)

keep up the good job :)

kathy

congrats

Kathy my other sleever is a huge success. He's already 70% of the way there and looks AMAZING. I've always loved him to pieces but now he looks so hot, I think I'm also wearing him out :-P

We love doing this together. We love doing most things together and this has been an incredible journey to take together.

I have had a different experience but just as great...A lady I know had cancer and it is now in remission...she knew I had been really sick but did not have the details....She knew I had surgery and that it all went bad...She also knew that I had to build myself up physically and emotionally and mentally after what I experienced...

A month ago she asked me to help her build herself back up..She had lost so much weight and she was so thin due to the treatments she faced....So I said sure...I put her on a Vitamin regiment and am teaching her how to eat healthier....she is eating more grains and a higher amount of Protein.. No refined sugar and more dense foods...She has gained some weight and is feeling better..It is kinda like taking the WLS and reversing it...I do it one way and I am getting her to eat better another way and for another reason....It is working...She is looking and feeling much better...

The rules, ideas and thoughts all come from the valuable information I have learned as a WLS patient...

Who knows, maybe if I finally start telling people about my surgery they may ask me questions or want information....Then I will say, bring it on!!!!!!!!!!